2WD in Snow - Need advice

Saenzm

We have a similar situation in that I have a 2x4 van with KO2 tires on it but I don't carry much in the way of recovery gear and it has an open diff so I don't go anywhere stupid or do anything stupid. I have an LX470 for back country adventures even if it's not as comfy to sleep in.
LX470 you say? 505990
Looks like we are in the EXACT same situation. LOL

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
A couple things...

For off road people I am surprised that it took so long to mention a shovel. That is the first thing. Everything else is fine but without a shovel you are looking at pushing / pulling a lot of snow or getting high centered and the wheels will do you no good no matter what you have.

Next drop some weight in the back end. A couple gravel bags are best as then you have some gravel as well with you should you get on some ice and start slipping. Sand bags will work but I prefer some pea gravel for issues on ice.

Then chains would be my next addition. If you are going to use chains for just recovery (after you are in trouble) better have that shovel as putting chains on in deep snow is not fun. I would not use chains to get me deeper into something unless I was trying to get out of someplace. Like if you were camped at a spot and got dumped on and needed to get out - chain up first. If you are seeing how far you can get wait till you are stuck and use the chains to get out. Max tracks will work to but a pain over 5 miles to use. Better for getting out of rather than to use to get through.

Next would be lockers.

Finally either a winch or a hi-lift jack and some chain / straps if you still want the extra security.

If you do want to do things like this make sure you tell someone as well. A steep hill can pin you in a canyon or a revine without cell service. Hiking to a high point for cell service is not always possible or safe. Carry a couple extra packs of dehydrated food as well.

gluebke

Mounted For Adventure
What ever you decide to do, also carry a shovel, preferably full size handle. A little shovel work will help when you dig yourself in, chains, lockers, doesn't matter - you will dig yourself in.
I was surprised I had to get to page two to see a shovel.
I've lived in canada my whole life, and if you have a shovel you can be saved often.
Like many have said, use momentum!
Even if its slow, you're still moving. No need for wheel spin.

If you do get stuck:
Rock back and forth without spinning your tires.
If it's an auto, just put it in drive then in reverse a couple times no gas.
After that, keep rocking but with a bit of gas.
If you build a little runway of traction it can get you going (to your next stuck spot haha).

Good luck! Winter wheeling is a lot of fun.

PS a friend is the ultimate if you're going anywhere sketchy.

roving1

Buy snow tires first. Everything else should be your 2nd or 3rd step. Off road tires all suck in snow compared to real winter tires. It's not even close.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Winch, tire chains, tire claws, shovel.

Rear locker or Truetrac isn't going to help an Econoline on street tires. Been there, done that. Tape your winch controller to your shovel all coiled up. Can't winch without shoveling first, is a rule to live by. Even if it's just a few scoops.

Winterpeg

"took this long to mention a shovel....."

If we need to tell him to take a shovel he needs to just stay home.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You certainly need a locker and tire chains along with recovery gear. You will get into trouble if you think this will allow you to go farther . It will help if you get caught in a bad situation and might help get you out.

Paddy

Adventurer
Chains are the great equalizer. I’ve seen chained 2wd out perform 4wd many times. The true trac will help you get into trouble. So, that is another vote for it.

billiebob

Need some help from some of you used to driving in the snow. This is my first winter in Colorado and I took my van out in search for a cool place to camp. Well my GPS led me to some dirt roads covered in snow. I have a 1993 E250 class B, which I have somewhat turned into a poor man's Sportsmobile. I am riding on some Fallen AT3S which help in the snow, but once I started getting in there I was concerned I was going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no service. Here is a link after I backed out: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kN7sSWTPREuW2CPq7

What do I need to go down places like this? Would chains do the trick? I have never used chains, so I wasn't sure. I have a portable winch and Maxx Traxx. Is that enough or should I just stay out of the snow like this without 4x4?

Here's ma rig: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zPujpZXvW75ZziSH7

Thanks,
Mark
First thing buy a pairs of chains for the rear tires. If you are exploring, you will get stuck, chains can make all the difference.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
A shovel is worth it’s weight in gold when it gets ugly. When we got 3’ overnight, I cannot count the number of times I shoveled to get unstuck. That said I was able to get where I needed to go in conditions that had 99% of civilian vehicles grounded. The only other vehicles navigating the roads were military.

A shovel is a MUST... I’ve got three or four stashed on my 2wd rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94