3/4 or 1 ton gas reliability

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
the current RAM's use a Borg Warner BW 44-47, but that's a really well built heavy duty transfer case that is not known for failure

Explorerinil

Observer
I've seen you post this before, and I have no idea where you see all these transfer cases and driveshafts blowing up, because as a fleet mechanic for the Air Force and everywhere in between, I have never seen consistent catastrophic failure on RAM trucks. For that matter, I have never seen anyone ever talk about it.
Me either, he’s the only one that mentiones it, it’s also obvious that he’s a huge ford fan and doesn’t like dodge trucks, he also posted one picture once that he claims was a driveshaft that broke and caused the transfer case housing to crack. I’ve been around dodge trucks my whole life, owned 7 of them... never heard of this before he mentioned it.

bc4x4

Me either, he’s the only one that mentiones it, it’s also obvious that he’s a huge ford fan and doesn’t like dodge trucks, he also posted one picture once that he claims was a driveshaft that broke and caused the transfer case housing to crack. I’ve been around dodge trucks my whole life, owned 7 of them... never heard of this before he mentioned it.

I have heard of a 08 or 09 3500 fleet truck have one fall apart, but that was a after they hit something offroad making contact with the T-Case, not a problem with the truck but it did take out some wiring and front driveshaft.

Also, I thought the new trucks had a CAD in the front axle... for one to fall apart taking out the front driveshaft at 75mph you would have to be in 4wd at 75mph

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Just for keeping on topic sakes I’m surprised that buliwyf didn’t mention the issues with the ram 6.4 big gas lifters, this is a documented problem, with many forum members reporting engine replacements or repairs.

Only true fix for this is to convert to hellcat lifters and ditch the pointless MDS

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I have heard of a 08 or 09 3500 fleet truck have one fall apart, but that was a after they hit something offroad making contact with the T-Case, not a problem with the truck but it did take out some wiring and front driveshaft.

Also, I thought the new trucks had a CAD in the front axle... for one to fall apart taking out the front driveshaft at 75mph you would have to be in 4wd at 75mph

The front drive shaft on the Dodges spins in 2wd. Half of the diff always spins, eventually the rest of the diff catches up and the drive shaft spins. If it didn't, diff wear would be extreme.

Lifters, cam phasers, VVT, etc. etc. aren't an issue on any of our trucks because we burn more than a tank of fuel every single weekday. No timing chain or tensioner service for 200,000 miles with nearly as much idle time as drive time. Those issues tend to hover around civvy trucks that sit more than drive. Even our clanky 5.4's survived.

Pilotamis

Observer
You need to search nationwide. Autotrader is pretty good when you use the advanced search.
Here are some examples under 20K and under 100K (Assuming this link works for you)

We've looked nationally, but I'm apprehensive to buy a used vehicle without driving it first.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We've looked nationally, but I'm apprehensive to buy a used vehicle without driving it first.

yes totally justified. But if you find something that really ticks all the boxes, you can always hire a local service to inspect it. Or fly in/out on Southwest...

Or even someone from this forum I am sure can help you.

:)

06Burb

The 6.0 is probably the most reliable out of all the gas 3/4-1 ton trucks...hungry and slower yes but still faster then something broken down on the side of the road :)

I dont know about the older GM trucks but the 2011+ ones have bullet proof transmissions and the front end is very reliable if not looking to rock crawl or lift it.

I would be looking for a 6.2 Ford (great trucks) or a 2011+ GM 3/4-1 ton.
I love my ‘06 2500 Suburban with its 6.0 and 4.10’s. It has 228k and the 4l80e has been flawless. I did however just replace my Np246 because of the pump rub. Hands down, this has been the best one I’ve owned.

gtbensley

Explorer
I love my ‘06 2500 Suburban with its 6.0 and 4.10’s. It has 228k and the 4l80e has been flawless. I did however just replace my Np246 because of the pump rub. Hands down, this has been the best one I’ve owned.

I believe the Np246 with the pump rub was only on the older trucks (yours too). Seems to be fixed for the 2011+ trucks.

I really dont think you can go wrong with a 6.0 Chevy or GMC.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Daughter's original 6.0 LS engine in her 2001 Chevy 1500HD has 367K miles. Uses 1 qt of oil between 5K mile oil changes. Runs great. Truck had 1 transmission rebuild of the 4L80E transmission.

Our 6.0 equipped 2004 GMC 2500 Yukon XL has 210K on the original engine/transmission combo. Runs great!

pfbz

I had a '99 F350 4x4 6.8L V10 Gasser supercab, 280K miles on it when I sold it for the EgoBeast.

Zero engine issues other than routine stuff. 'Bubba" was a great truck and with an 8' bed, made a great weekend getaway vehicle. Of course it didn't get stellar gas mileage, but fuel is cheap these days and no worries if traveling out of the country with finding low sulphur diesel, these babies will run on any old crappy petrol.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second getting another one...

Last edited:

Watt maker

Just for keeping on topic sakes I’m surprised that buliwyf didn’t mention the issues with the ram 6.4 big gas lifters, this is a documented problem, with many forum members reporting engine replacements or repairs.

Only true fix for this is to convert to hellcat lifters and ditch the pointless MDS

One of my co-workers 5.7 Ram just fell victim to this a couple weeks ago.

Halligan

Adventurer
I wonder if theses Dodge T-case failures are caused by the double cardon joint in the front driveshaft not being greased. So many times this greasing is not performed by do-it-yourself guys and even dealers/lube shops. The sticker under the hood says to grease the joint at every oil change. You need a special needle grease injector to grease it. I could see if the double cardon seized it could cause damage to the t-case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier