3/4 or 1 ton gas reliability

Pilotamis

Observer
It feels like we’ve been looking at Fords forever, but haven’t found our next truck in our budget, under $20k. Time to expand the search. I know nothing about Chevy, GMC, or Dodge trucks. What are the good years and the bad years? Every manufacturer has their years. I don’t want to start a who’s better than who, but we’re having no luck with finding a Ford 6.2 is our price range. Camper will be here in less than a month. Time to move!

What we need in our price range is automatic, gas, 3000#lb payload, full back seat, and 4x4. We’ve been focused on Ford since it seems they have a better international presence and we’re heading south from the US with no return date.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Should be able to find a 6.2l Ford for $20k easy peasy. They're all over Ohio as people trade up to Alumaduties. My 5.4l was only a few years older than the 6.2 trucks and was only worth a piddly $10k, tops, when I got rid of it due to rust.

The GM 6.0 is reliable, a bit slow but ok. It's transmission and front suspension is rubbish though.

Can't judge the Dodge engine. We had no problems with those. But the xfer case and front driveshaft love to blow up. And Ohio rust.

Explorerinil

Observer
I love the gm gas 6.0, but it’s a dog, not much power and horrible gas mileage... but it lasts. With gm you get ifs, which sucks for lifts, bigger tires and off-road. The ford super duties have come along way from where they y are decent with the 6.2 gas.

I personally would prefer a power wagon.

SoTxAg06

Loving my Ram with the 6.4. Have almost 13K in it now, so it’s still breaking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
A Power Wagon isn't going to have close to a 3000# payload. I'd look for a gas 3500 SRW Ford or Ram and jump on whatever is the best deal on a nice truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Find a gasser F350 and you are set. The 6.2 is a great motor and can be beat on for years and not flinch. We have one at work with ~155k and it's not once given us a problem. .

gtbensley

Explorer
Should be able to find a 6.2l Ford for $20k easy peasy. They're all over Ohio as people trade up to Alumaduties. My 5.4l was only a few years older than the 6.2 trucks and was only worth a piddly $10k, tops, when I got rid of it due to rust.

The GM 6.0 is reliable, a bit slow but ok. It's transmission and front suspension is rubbish though.

Can't judge the Dodge engine. We had no problems with those. But the xfer case and front driveshaft love to blow up. And Ohio rust.

The 6.0 is probably the most reliable out of all the gas 3/4-1 ton trucks...hungry and slower yes but still faster then something broken down on the side of the road :)

I dont know about the older GM trucks but the 2011+ ones have bullet proof transmissions and the front end is very reliable if not looking to rock crawl or lift it.

I would be looking for a 6.2 Ford (great trucks) or a 2011+ GM 3/4-1 ton.

Pilotamis

Observer
Yep.

I paid just 16k for my 2012.
It had just about 100k on it.

Damn... we just looked at the cheapest 6.2 Ford offered locally and they wanted $19,900 with 100k miles, a 1/2 hole in the roof and no spare tire. He also said they won’t take our 16’ F150 for a trade since it’s worth to much. I guess we need to look in Idaho!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have 240k miles on my 2004 chevy 2500 6.0, does not lack power and will tow or haul anything i ask. Mileage is not great, but i have zero regrets, I would by another big gasser w/o hesitation. When I bought it the Duramax, and Alison was a 10k$ Option, you can buy a lot of fuel for 10k$.

Its spent its entire life hauling, towing and going places trucks arent made to go.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Any of the 1 ton trucks would be fine. The only thing I have to add is that the Chevy heavy duty’s changed for 2011 even though they don’t look it. The chassis is upgraded and is still used in 2019 HD trucks. My 2011 Chevy 2500 is just over 100,000 miles and the only problem is I’ve had is O2 sensor and exhaust manifold leak. The leak I haven't fixed yet, the wife doesn't even notice it.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Damn... we just looked at the cheapest 6.2 Ford offered locally and they wanted $19,900 with 100k miles, a 1/2 hole in the roof and no spare tire. He also said they won’t take our 16’ F150 for a trade since it’s worth to much. I guess we need to look in Idaho!

Just have to know what you want, be ready with cash, and keep eyes open.

I was handed the keys literally less than 24hrs after I saw the add, and I paid cash.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
It feels like we’ve been looking at Fords forever, but haven’t found our next truck in our budget, under $20k. Time to expand the search. I know nothing about Chevy, GMC, or Dodge trucks. What are the good years and the bad years? Every manufacturer has their years. I don’t want to start a who’s better than who, but we’re having no luck with finding a Ford 6.2 is our price range. Camper will be here in less than a month. Time to move!

What we need in our price range is automatic, gas, 3000#lb payload, full back seat, and 4x4. We’ve been focused on Ford since it seems they have a better international presence and we’re heading south from the US with no return date.

You need to search nationwide. Autotrader is pretty good when you use the advanced search.
Here are some examples under 20K and under 100K (Assuming this link works for you)

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast

I've seen you post this before, and I have no idea where you see all these transfer cases and driveshafts blowing up, because as a fleet mechanic for the Air Force and everywhere in between, I have never seen consistent catastrophic failure on RAM trucks. For that matter, I have never seen anyone ever talk about it.

LimaMikeMike

Observer
I've seen you post this before, and I have no idea where you see all these transfer cases and driveshafts blowing up, because as a fleet mechanic for the Air Force and everywhere in between, I have never seen consistent catastrophic failure on RAM trucks. For that matter, I have never seen anyone ever talk about it.

A quick google shows similar issues with ford transfer cases as with ones in FCA/dodges. Which is not really all that surprising as they’re basically the same NP271/273 case used by both manufacturers. As far as I’ve read on Cummins forum, Dodge Talk, TDR and PWR over the years it’s not common at all.

I think this is one guys experience with one or two fleet vehicles which can maybe be attributed poor maintenance and possible abuse. The world of the internets allows people to voice their opinion ad nauseum, to the point where if it happens once to you or if you hear it somewhere from some guy who knows some other guy it must be an epidemic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier