New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Wallygator

Adventurer
Are you talking about the auto transmission shifter? It looks like it still has a proper transfer case shifter. I assume since they still have stick shifts that sharing (or at least similar) the center console is probably cheaper than having two different ones.

View attachment 501001

I'm talking about the automatic shifter, it is basically there for looks only. It is not attached to anything mechanical and shifts between gears electronically. So why waste the space and put a shifter there? Could just go push button shifting on the dash and have a lot of space for things where the shifter currently is. So IMO they just put shifters there to maintain an image. Obviously this is different for a manual. I understand with production costs of having two different center consoles between the manual and auto, but as stated, the auto shifters are useless and that space could be better used.

Nope the shifter is there to allow you to select one of the 8 gears available in the teansmission while off road for example starting a very steep climb you would want 1 just as you would in a manual reach the top and shift to higher gear look carefully at the shifter you will see the plus minus markings that enable the shifter/driver to change gears but you havebto actualy drive one to know that . And correct me if i am wrong but doesnt a new 4runner haveasimilar set up for the trans?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Nope the shifter is there to allow you to select one of the 8 gears available in the teansmission while off road for example starting a very steep climb you would want 1 just as you would in a manual reach the top and shift to higher gear look carefully at the shifter you will see the plus minus markings that enable the shifter/driver to change gears but you havebto actualy drive one to know that . And correct me if i am wrong but doesnt a new 4runner haveasimilar set up for the trans?

Buttons on the dash can do that just as well. Just like they can change the a/c temp or radio station. I like the column shifter on my 3500. Totally out of the way but instantly at hand.

Wallygator

Adventurer

The 4runner shifter has cables connected to it, the Jeep auto does not. I'm not sure you are understanding that there is no linkage of any kind going to the shifter in an auto trans Jeep. All the shifting is done electronically in the Jeep auto.

Clutch

<---Pass
Console shifter is pointless on modern cars and it takes up room.

For the autos with sport mode, feels more natural for us manual guys. Never did like column shifters.

While I still don't like autos, Toyota did a good job leaving the action to a joystick...instead of a thumb push button like on the Ranger.

Don't really need the room, don't want anyone sitting directly beside me, did that enough when I was growing up (crap not the hump again!) and in our own work trucks where you had to get 3 guys in a regular cab. :) All I need is a place to put my coffee, sunglasses and a few pens.

I miss the simpler days.

View attachment 501066

Not to worry Dave, simpler days are coming. Soon your vehicle will be able to camping and exploring without you...you'll be able to see the adventure from your computer screen so you'll won't even have to get out of the comfort of your own bed.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
For the autos with sport mode, feels more natural for us manual guys. Never did like column shifters.

While I still don't like autos, Toyota did a good job leaving the action to a joystick...instead of a thumb push button like on the Ranger.
I guess now that you mention it I do yuse that function on the Tacoma work truck when I drive it, mostly on slow steep hills. I don't shift my chevy myself unless I'm towing, and then only sometimes.

Clutch

<---Pass
I guess now that you mention it I do yuse that function on the Tacoma work truck when I drive it, mostly on slow steep hills. I don't shift my chevy myself unless I'm towing, and then only sometimes.

Have been driving manuals for so long, if I had to get an auto...would choose one of those. VW's are that way too IIRC.

The 26' bobtail we rented to move was auto, it was driving me nuts, would not stay in gear that I wanted...even with me manual shifting it...the computer keep on over-riding me. It kept on shifting itself in and out of gears....stay in 3rd damnit! ;) :D

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Yeah whenever I get in the Tacoma work truck I push the ECT button that seems to keep the trans from automatically going into highest gear whenever possible. Kinda wish I had something like that for my chevy, maybe ill get a tune some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94