Durango has died. The Pilot is moving up. Can it take it?

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Get a pyrometer and keep checking temps with that since there’s no real gauges to keep track of what you need to.

chshrkt

I am very interested in how this adventure turns out for you @rholbrook, since my wife and I are really interested in the Pilot/Ridgeline vehicles due to ride comfort and the fact that my wife is in a wheelchair and not really able to climb into a classically lifted truck.
We have no desire for rock crawling or 'extreme' off roading, just hitting the fire trails and back-roads stuff with an 'off road' teardrop in tow.

phsycle

Adventurer
You sound adventurous enough. Go for it. I'd take recovery gear--snatch strap and maxtrax. As long as you know its limitations, you should be fine.

But know that your Durango was built on a truck platform, along with truck components. Pilot is less-robust, which makes durability questionable. For a long-term solution, I'd personally look elsewhere.

we have a 2004 Pilot and have done a fair amount of "adventure" stuff with it. it's not a rock crawler, for sure, but it has been super reliable. all the off road stuff has been slow (no rush) and we have 250,000+ miles on it and no major problems, other than new front axles, lower control arms, a couple of wheels bearings and struts over the years. I was skeptical at first (we got it used from my in-laws), but I'm coming around. I wish there was more off-road stuff for it, like long travel suspension, armor (skid plates, etc...) and bumpers, but I haven't looked too hard.

rholbrook

Update!
First step for the Pilot.
The most important part of a rig is the part that touches the ground.
So got the new tires put on.
4C0795B1-2148-4B61-961C-64F2EFA10B61.jpeg

My needs are sand, snow, and forest roads.
After all the research and checking reviews I think these will be what I need.

gingermark

Update!
First step for the Pilot.
The most important part of a rig is the part that touches the ground.
So got the new tires put on.
View attachment 499765

My needs are sand, snow, and forest roads.
After all the research and checking reviews I think these will be what I need.
I really like the Yokos. They are great on road and off. I have only done rain, sand, and rocks. So far performance has been fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rholbrook

I really like the Yokos. They are great on road and off. I have only done rain, sand, and rocks. So far performance has been fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
God to hear.
I did lots of research and read every post I could find. So far they’ve been great in the snow as well as the muddy mess afterwards.

ITTOG

I had an 04 pilot and took it off roading. It did fine except with rocks. Any time there were rocks requiring vft it would overheat the transmission. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

skysappr

I am very interested in how this adventure turns out for you @rholbrook, since my wife and I are really interested in the Pilot/Ridgeline vehicles due to ride comfort and the fact that my wife is in a wheelchair and not really able to climb into a classically lifted truck.
We have no desire for rock crawling or 'extreme' off roading, just hitting the fire trails and back-roads stuff with an 'off road' teardrop in tow.
How have your experiences been so far since this reply?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke