NMBDR by Land Rover

ricker

Hi tswhit,

Thanks for the kind words. I just returned from a road trip to KY. I am planning to do the COBDR next summer, and maybe the AZBDR in the fall. I have already covered some of the trails that make up the AZ route.

Regards,

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricker

Hi Deputy,

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report. It really was a great trip and I highly recommend the BDRs. I am already planning a trip to Colorado next summer.

Regards,

David

ZWilson07

Gorgeous color on the LR4. A little jealous of it I am not gonna lie, and the heart felt honesty through the narrative was personally my favorite part.

ricker

Gorgeous color on the LR4. A little jealous of it I am not gonna lie, and the heart felt honesty through the narrative was personally my favorite part.

Hi ZWilson07,

Thanks for the kind words. The color is 2010 Galway Green. I had to special order the truck as they did not have any in the USA in that color at that time. It was a very personal trip and one I will remember for a long time.

Best Regards,

David

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
David,

Enjoyed the write up. I'm planning on doing this next May on my way to Overland West. I did the IDBDR this year and enjoyed it immensely. We took 10 days to do 1250 miles but were pushing it. I plan to go slower this trip to enjoy the trek.

Last edited:

ricker

David,

Enjoyed the write up. I'm planning on doing this next May on my way to Overland West. I did the IDBDR last year and enjoyed it immensely. We took 10 days to do 1250 miles but were pushing it. I plan to go slower this trip to enjoy the trek.

Hi M1078,

I went to a few of the early Overland Expos when it was in Amado and Mormon Lake. They are almost overwhelming with the seminars, movies, and product vendors. The attendees and their vehicles are also impressive.

As I said in my report, I went a little faster than I should have. NMBDR should probably be an eight day trip. I am thinking of doing the CO or AZ BDR next year.

Safe Travels,

David

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I misspoke in that I did the IDBDR this July, just seems like last year even though it was only a couple of months ago. I also did Expo West this spring and while it was crowded I still enjoyed the opportunity to look around and meet some great folks. While we camped on site I didn't really consider it "camping" per se due to the number of people there but it was no more crowded or chaotic than going to Six Flags or Sea World so I just consider it a weekend at the Overlanding Amusement Park.

Matt Lawrence

Great Report!

Do you recall about what time of day you made it to Fence, NM? I am planning a four-day trip that will probably end somewhere around there, depending on how much time I have to get back home on the fourth day. My trip may have to end closer to Reserve.

ricker

Hi Matt,

I am glad you enjoyed my trip report. If I remember correctly, I made it to Fence Lake before lunch sometime. Maybe mid to late morning. As I said in my report, the first two days were very long and probably should have been done in 3 days. You might consider finishing in Reserve and taking it a little slower than I did. If you only have four days you might want to begin in Truth or Consequences and do the entire northern part. Although I enjoyed the variety of terrain the NMBDR has to offer I liked the mountains and trees better than the desert.

Safe Travels,

David

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Thanks for the trip report. I just found it today!

I'm planning on doing the NMBDR in my Montero starting this fall and breaking it into three or four sections.

ricker

Hi Quest and mep,

I’m glad you both enjoyed my trip report.

Quest - you will definitely enjoy it.

Mep - the BDRs are designed for adventure motorcycles, so in most areas a car would work if you don’t mind the dust and dings. As I mentioned in my report I came upon a number of cars in different parts of the route. There are some parts that would require more clearance, and if there is mud. Think of these routes as overland adventures and not off reading. The BDRs are not Moab!

Safe Travels,

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles