2001 Discovery II input

ashtonadams

I’m contemplating on purchasing a Discovery II for my first rig. I’m not really an import guy so I don’t know much about them. Any chance you can educate me on them?

Saint Nick

I’m contemplating on purchasing a Discovery II for my first rig. I’m not really an import guy so I don’t know much about them. Any chance you can educate me on them?
Why a Disco? I'd consider a Toyota before a LR, especially if I lived in the US. Reasoning, I think the availability and parts etc, would be much better for the Toyota which would be better for a newbie. Anyway, I'm a Toyota person so I'm biased ;)

Nick

Howski

This has been covered 500 times here and elsewhere - use the search function or Google

mpinco

Expedition Leader
As a long time 98' Disco I owner parts availability may not be your local parts store but it is as close as your next UPS/FedEx delivery. Multiple US sources as well as UK based sources. Don't discount the UK sources as they sometimes can be faster than some US sources. One overall trend I'm noticing is that the local parts store selection is becoming much more limited, even for 'Toyotas', as online takes over.

As always with any pre-owned vehicle the reliability of a truck depends on the previous owner/s.

ashtonadams

Why a Disco? I'd consider a Toyota before a LR, especially if I lived in the US. Reasoning, I think the availability and parts etc, would be much better for the Toyota which would be better for a newbie. Anyway, I'm a Toyota person so I'm biased ;)

Nick
I’m contemplating on going with the discovery since I have a friend who has one that needs to sell it due to a divorce.

Correus

Adventurer

Nick

Disco parts are super easy to get here in the US - lots and lots of them are on the road. From price perspective they are no more expensive as the equivalent Toyota or other brand.

I don't own a Disco yet I know they are extremely popular with the 4x4 and overlanding crowd. The Disco was THE most popular vehicle in the "Camel Trophy".

If I were the OP I'd join a Disco forum and nose around.

Correus

Adventurer
I’m contemplating on going with the discovery since I have a friend who has one that needs to sell it due to a divorce.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but lucky for you!!!

Also - it's a bit silly, but the Disco is about the only LR uot there you can paint "Camel Trophy Yellow" without some ribbing from the Rover community.

MLu

Adventurer
Weeeell, the Disco 2 was never in the Camel Trophy (but that doesn't stop me from wanting to sandglow mine). But yes, this subject has been covered. If you want it, buy it - if not, don't. I daily drive mine, repair it when something critical breaks and frankly maintenance has been... sporadic. Averages about one flatbed-trip per year, almost all of which had been avoidable with more diligent maintenance.

ashtonadams

Sorry to hear about your friend, but lucky for you!!!

Also - it's a bit silly, but the Disco is about the only LR uot there you can paint "Camel Trophy Yellow" without some ribbing from the Rover community.
Yeah, he told me that he would sell it to me for $20. Why? Because ******** her was his answer.

Saint Nick

Sorry to hear that but no doubt a bargain for you.

Disco parts are super easy to get here in the US - lots and lots of them are on the road. From price perspective they are no more expensive as the equivalent Toyota or other brand.

I don't own a Disco yet I know they are extremely popular with the 4x4 and overlanding crowd. The Disco was THE most popular vehicle in the "Camel Trophy".

If I were the OP I'd join a Disco forum and nose around.
Please don't think I'm knocking the Disco, like I said, I'm "Toyota biased" ;) I agree that a Disco specific forum is a good place to start.

Nick

Correus

Adventurer
Here is the main forum:

https://discoweb.org/index.php

Caveat lector homo novus!!!

I have never been on this forum, yet I know many Disco owners that have. They have told me that out of all the Land Rover forums they've been a part of DW is by far the most..."obnoxious" for lack of a more civilized word. Yet it is by far the most informative when it comes to Discos.

J!m

The mark II is very popular off road these days. Second and third hand availability fosters that.

But it is more complex than the first version, as is to be expected.

Just look up “the three amigos” for a start.

But for $20 drive until dead and part it out to finance what you want.

I worked on them in the past and never bonded with them. They “feel” heavier than they are to me.

rgallant

Adventurer
Try this forum instead a much better crowd Discovery II .

And it is a used truck I took mine for 2 day off road trip after owing for all of 3 weeks. But has been noted maintenance is everything as with any vehicle you are taking to the back end of no where, I have had my Disco for 18 months other than a pair of Caliper bolts coming out - bad brake job by the previous owner, it just runs. Some misc repairs done, along with a cooling system flush. But the most expensive was replacing the fan and fan clutch at about 100.00 CDN. And I regularly go off road and did a 4 day about 900 mile trip with no issues other rattling things loose and the afore mentioned caliper bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles