CRC & Mass Air Flow

NorthCounty

Picked up some CRC Mass Air Flow cleaner and was going to hit my 94 SR Mass Air Flow sensor as I am pretty sure in the 200k clocked miles it has never been cleaned. Have noticed a slight uneven idle which got me to replace the Idle Control modular which maybe did nothing. I unplugged the MAF and idle was super smooth. So figured a cleaning and would be a done deal. Well reading the back CRC label it aays do not use on Karman-Vortex air flow - Toyota Supra Turbo, Mitsubishi's and most Lexus vehicles. Now I don'tbelieve the 94 SR has a MAF made by Karman-Vortex but thought I would check if anyone has 1st hand experience before I clean with CRC.

dos531

Karman vortex is the method by which the sensor measures airflow, not the manufacturer. Generally the MAF cleaner sprays are meant for hot wire type MAF sensors, which use a heated wire to measure airflow. The wire can get contaminated which throws off the reading. It probably wont hurt the sensor, but since the karman vortex sensor uses a completely different design it also probably wont do any good either.

NorthCounty

Great thanks. Karman-Vortex is a method in which air flow is measured not a manufacturer...so does a 94 3.5L DOHC use this method of Karman-Vortex? Or is a 94 3.5L DOHC a hot wire type MAF? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is a hot wire type MAF and spray the heck out of it.

dos531

Great thanks. Karman-Vortex is a method in which air flow is measured not a manufacturer...so does a 94 3.5L DOHC use this method of Karman-Vortex? Or is a 94 3.5L DOHC a hot wire type MAF? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is a hot wire type MAF and spray the heck out of it.
It is Karman vortex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior