A Dream Come to Fruition: My Epic 35 Day Roadtrip

Ridge Runner

Delta V
When I was in high school and college, channels like History and Discovery were starting to air more programming geared towards traveling, such as specials about Route 66, ice roads (before Ice Road Truckers), and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. The scenery was as varied as it was beautiful, and for someone who had never gotten to travel outside of the Southeast US, they definitely helped kindle a fire in me to get out and explore. I'll never forget talking to a Marine recruiter in high school who had a stack of tags with words on them like "knowledge" and "adventure". He had me arrange them in my order of preference, and at the time I ranked "travel" near the bottom of a very long list.

While those TV shows were working in the back of my mind, life happened. I went to school, got a job, went back to school, got a few more jobs, all the while my wanderlust kept growing. In 2011, I received a project 1970 Chevy Blazer as partial payment for some work I did, and my desire to travel hit me full force. I joined this site and started reading about adventurous trips and the amazing vehicles that people like @Larry took on them. I bought a wall map, pinned it up on my bedroom wall, and started marking every place that tickled my fancy. Any friend who even hinted about having had so much as a fuel stop in a faraway town, I interrogated for advice and information. My vehicle of choice went from the Blazer to a 2000 Tundra with a camper shell to a 2014 Raptor; my route changed even more often.

For a long time, I put the trip on hold for business plans for a garage. When those business plans fell through (hence the project Blazer is still sitting in my backyard neglected), I needed a change of pace and scenery, and threw myself fully into my trip. I realized that the funnest times of my life were when I lived away from where I grew up, but my problem was I hadn't traveled enough to know where I wanted to move to. I'm good friends with the family I worked for, so I started hinting around that I was looking to quit in the next year.

At the time, my daily driver was a 2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4x4 Access Cab. It's a great truck, but it was repo'd from the previous owner, had its maintenance neglected for a good while before I got it, and usually only gets about 13 MPG. Since I was looking at a long trip in a vehicle and I had been saving a long time for my planned business, I decided to splurge on my first nice vehicle. I looked at a new '18 Raptor and was sold, but decided to test drive a first generation just in case. For me, there wasn't enough difference to justify another $20,000+, so a few weeks later I had a one-owner, never-been-in-road-salt 2014 Raptor crew cab in Ruby Red delivered to me by CarMax out of Oklahoma City. As far as overlanding vehicles go, a Raptor definitely isn't at the top of the list, but if you're a single guy with a dog going on a long road trip with some overlanding thrown in, then the Raptor is actually a pretty great choice. The suspension soaks up bumps and most potholes, and the perfectly flat floor in the back means a large dog can be comfortable.

Finally, I had enough money put aside for my trip and I gave three months notice at work (I told you I'm friends with the family). I went on a comparatively short trip to Arizona with my mom, and a couple weeks after we got back to Tennessee, I loaded my dog and a bunch of gear into my truck, and we headed out.

Shane (my dog) and I left on September 6, 2018. Originally, I had wanted to run my route from south to north, but thanks to a wise suggestion from a friend, we went north first. The plan was to hit up Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, swing back into Colorado, down into Arizona, and back to Tennessee through New Mexico, Texas, and Arkansas. I had a contingency for Nevada and California, but ultimately ended up leaving those states for a later trip. Because we set out after Labor Day, travel and sightseeing were easy. The crowds at most stops were at a minimum and our fellow travelers were either retirees or young adults who just wanted to see the country. In essence, people who genuinely wanted to be there rather than Explorer-loads of families who were doing their annual bonding experience.

Wow, this post got a lot longer than I intended. I've been wanting to do a write-up for a long time and I guess I'm a little excited. Anyway, I'm going to try and break the trip down by day with lots of pictures thrown in.

P9173444.jpg

PA019068.jpg

P9173614.jpg

whododat

Good for you. Looks like it is starting out great. The wife and I want to start traveling once we retire and depart this state for good.
Safe travels!

ITTOG

Beautiful pictures. Don't forget to tell us where those pictures were taken. Always good to know in case others, ie me, decide we want to go there. ;)

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Day 1 (9/6/18)

I guess I have a hard time with goodbyes, because I always procrastinate when it comes to leaving. This trip was no exception, and by the time I left Oneida, Tennessee, it was already early afternoon and I hadn't even eaten yet. Oh well, at least my county borders the time zone and I would gain an hour as I crossed over into Central time.

I've lived in Tennessee my whole life, right on the state line with Kentucky. So, the goal for the next day or two was to put as many miles behind me as I could, rather than concerning myself with the passing scenery. Consequently, my posts until I get to Kansas may be lacking content. Three hours to Nashville, with half of that distance on I-40 and the other half state and federal highways. Another hour on I-24 got me to Clarksville, where I was hoping to meet a couple of friends. Unfortunately, he was working and his wife was waiting on a delivery that never came, so I grabbed a bite at Chick-fil-A (mouthwash in the bathroom? that restaurant just keeps outdoing itself) and topped off my fuel at the Sam's Club.

If you're making a trip like this, one of the best decisions you'll make is buying a Sam's Club membership. Some friends tried to get me to go with Costco, but there are way more Sam's Clubs spread out around the country in big towns/small cities than there are Costcos. There were a few times where the fuel at Sam's was over twenty cents cheaper than anywhere else, so my membership paid for itself in a hurry. I also have a Kroger fuel card, which worked all the way out to Wyoming and Arizona; that was another three cents off fuel.

P9060016.jpg

P9060020.jpg

As I left Clarksville, I kept northwest on I-24 towards Paducah. If I had originally left Oneida and gone to Louisville, it would have saved me one or two hours. Unfortunately, Illinois frowns on my chosen form of protection, so I literally went out of my way to avoid that state. Just outside Clarksville, I passed a car hauler and its cargo caught my eye. Most of what it was hauling was average, but it did have the only R34 Skyline I've ever seen in person as well as a Lotus Elise. I juggled driving and snapping a few pictures, then moved on. Somewhere between here and Paducah, it finally got dark on me. Paducah is where I exited the interstate to head west into Missouri, and the city had kindly positioned a welcome center/rest area right at my exit (Whitehaven Welcome Center). I pulled in, fed and walked Shane, grabbed myself a snack, and we were off again, this time on US 60. Roughly an hour later, we linked up with I-57 in Missouri, and ten miles past that took I-55 north. Sadly, I missed seeing the Mississippi River because of the darkness.

I was getting pretty tired at this point, but being an unfamiliar rural area, the only places I was seeing were seedy truck stops. We made it to Cape Girardeau, Missouri, where I found a quiet Walmart parking lot. Being a crew cab, my truck has a lot of interior space, but it still takes a fair amount of finagling to make room for myself and an 80 pound dog to sleep in the back without having to transfer any of my daily use items to the truck bed. It was the first night on the road, and very humid and warm, so despite my weariness and it being past midnight, I slept fitfully.

Coming up on the Tennessee River in Kentucky.
P9060023.jpg

Not long after I stayed in Cape Girardeau, this picture started floating around - allegedly taken at the Walmart I stayed in.
walmart.jpg

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Day 2 (9/7/18)

Well, at this rate I should have my trip report completed in only three or four years. Sorry it's been a month since I posted; I work at a car dealership, and this is the busiest time of the year for us. Also, please bear with me, as the first few days were the most boring of the trip, and as such will be the most boring to read about. I promise it gets more interesting after a few days.

As I said when I left off in my last post, my first night on the road wasn't great for sleeping. It was my first night camping in the backseat of my truck, the air was warm and sticky, and I was too amped up to sleep well. Around 4:00 AM, I gave up and started stirring. Now, came the fun part of figuring out how to get clean without a bathroom or much in the way of privacy. Even this early in the morning, Walmart's parking lot was too crowded, but mercifully there was an empty Kohl's parking lot a couple hundred yards away.

I know most people don't care about my bathing routine, but I had to learn on my own, so I'll cover it for people like me who haven't found much on the subject. Hygiene is important to me, and while I don't sweat a lot and generally stay pretty clean, I do have oily skin, which was a concern for me. Anti-bacterial wipes proved to be a life-saver. I would wipe myself down with a few, then grab a 32 oz. spray bottle I had filled with water. A few pulls on the trigger had my hair wet enough to lather up with shampoo from a hotel bottle. A few sprays later with my head held down and the shampoo was rinsed off. Mitchum 48 hour deodorant completed my routine every other day and went a long way to keeping me feeling relatively clean without a shower.

I changed clothes, gave Shane a snack, and we headed out around 5:00 AM. It's worth noting that while my morning routines are simple to describe, they were very time consuming due to the limited space in my truck and the way I was forced to organize everything. It could easily take fifteen minutes just converting the cab of my truck from its night sleeping arrangement to being able to drive in the daytime. Anyway, we headed off north on I-55 towards St. Louis. I made it to the rest stop near Bloomsdale, MO, before I had to pull off and sleep a little bit longer. I was scheduled to meet up with a friend (Michael) in Columbia at 9-10 AM for breakfast, so I rushed through St. Louis and got my first and only passing glimpse of the Gateway Arch. We had a light breakfast at the Broadway Diner, my friend gave me some travel recommendations, and I continued west to Kansas City, where I was to meet up with another friend (Mike).

The Gateway Arch in all its splendor.
P9070054.jpg

I stopped at the Love's truck stop in Boonville to get fuel (this is only relevant because it was the first time I had gotten gas since Clarksville, TN - a distance of 426 miles). I do love a 36 gallon fuel tank. I'm sorry to say that my trip through Missouri was fairly depressing and hardly eventful. The weather was damp and overcast, with the clouds barely 100 feet off the ground.

Pretty much all of my drive through Missouri looked like this.
P9070068.jpg

I made it into Kansas City around 1:30 PM, but unfortunately my friend wasn't able to meet up with me. It was too late to make it to my next planned destination that day, so I killed time by visiting the WWI museum. Sadly, I was rushed to make it through before closing, so I don't have any pictures of the interior. However, it's easily one of the best museums I've ever been to and absolutely worth seeing. Another of my favorite museums in the area that I didn't see is the Arabia Steamboat Museum. After walking around the museum grounds, I went to Q39 on Michael's recommendation and got a brisket burger to eat and some brisket to put on ice in my cooler.

It was getting on in the evening, so it was time to find a decent parking lot to sleep in for the night. I decided a Walmart would be too busy, so we went to Bass Pro Shops. Shane and I walked around inside for a little while, but the parking lot was more crowded than expected, so we drove across the street and set up in the empty lot of The Furniture Mall of Kansas. I fed Shane and played fetch with him briefly, then we went to bed.

If you made it to the end of this post, thank you for sticking with me. If you thought this day was boring, then you understand how I was starting to feel about my trip. Thankfully, things were about to get interesting.

Coming into downtown KCMO. This shows how low the ceiling was.
P9070079.jpg

WWI Museum and Monument
P9070081.jpg

Panorama of downtown KC from the top of the WWI Museum; Union Station is in the center and still functions as an Amtrak station
P9070094.jpg

Same shot showing the Sprint Center on the left and Western Auto building on the right
P9070097.jpg

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Day 3 (9/8/18)

The weather had turned cooler the previous day, so Shane and I slept relatively comfortably. I'm anything but an early riser, so by the time we started stirring, the Furniture Mall had opened up. Fortunately, next door was an abandoned business (former Sports Mall of Olathe) where I was able to clean myself up, feed Shane, and play fetch. With all of the people who saw me, it was here I realized that driving a nice vehicle goes a long way to changing your appearance from a drifter bathing in a parking lot to just some guy minding his own business. It was also this morning that I came to understand just how much of a godsend Ford's tailgate step is. I used it several times a day, practically every day of my trip.

We finished our morning routine, and as I was heading back to the interstate I realized that I had been here before. I flew out to KC back in December to meet a girl I had been talking to on eHarmony. The Longhorn steakhouse where was first ate was in the same neighborhood where Shane and I spent the night. Anyway, I can't remember what we did, but we killed a few hours before heading to Mike's house around noon. We ate at Taco Republic, then went back to his place where he graciously allowed me to wash out and then fill my three 7-gallon water jugs.

Afterward, Shane and I hit up the Olathe, KS, Target and headed down I-35 to Emporia, KS, then stayed west on US 50 out to Strong City, KS. About nine miles outside of Strong City, there was an abandoned grain elevator at a bump in the road that Google Earth refers to as Saffordville, KS. The sun was setting just right, and for half an hour I walked around snapping pictures. A few minutes later, we rolled into Strong City and passed some parked trucks at a horse arena. There weren't any signs up, so I kept on driving. I was pretty frustrated to learn later that night that it had been a rodeo, and a fun one by the looks of it. Oh well, lesson learned of stopping when I saw something interesting. We drove up to Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, but it was too dark at that point to see anything, so we immediately headed back south through Cottonwood Falls, KS, to Chase State Fishing Lake and Park, where there was free camping. Here, I got my second lesson of the evening when I found out what a pain it is trying to find a decent, unoccupied campsite after dark. I hadn't expected there to be many people here, but I had forgotten it was a Saturday and there was a group of scouts taking up several sites.

Shane and I finally found a quiet spot after a few minutes of searching, and after eating supper, setup our tent for the first night of our trip. This part of Kansas is pretty rural (but I'd find out later, not nearly as rural as West Kansas), and as such there isn't a lot of light pollution at night. I got to enjoy a clear, beautiful night with a bright sky. I tried to get some pictures, but as good as my camera was, in the end it was still only a point and shoot. We drifted off to sleep as a pack of coyotes was howling on the other side of the lake.

P9080144.jpg

P9080152.jpg

P9080153.jpg

P9080158.jpg

P9080163.jpg

P9080167.jpg

P9080169.jpg

P9080171.jpg

P9080181.jpg

P9080186.jpg

P9080194.jpg

P9080203.jpg

P9080231.jpg

P9080232.jpg

P9080240.jpg

P9080259.jpg

If it hadn't been for this marker, I wouldn't have realized that this was where Knute Rockne's plane crashed.
P9080277.jpg

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Great write up so far. I think this pic was taken about 6 miles from my house. Right outside of Kingdom City? Unfortunately even on the nicest day, Missouri is a fairly boring drive.

Thank you!

Actually, I think you're right. That's about where I would've been when I took that picture. I wish it hadn't been so foggy; that would have been a neat farm to see on a clear day.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
That’s awesome! I have a dozen photo albums from my trip with notes next to most of the pictures denoting their location and other details. This was one picture I didn’t think I’d ever be able to nail down. Thank you!

krice118

I am curious why you did not sleep in the bed? Seems like a campers hell would have done a lot of good here. A truck seems like a great option for ease of sleeping

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Day 4 (9/9/18)

I slept on a cot in my tent, and while it was comfortable to lay on, the temperature dropped and I got pretty cold during the night. I woke up fairly early, but it took a good while for me to warm up enough that I was willing to get out of bed. I'm sorry to say that this became almost a daily occurrence for me on my trip. When I finally did exit my tent - a three person backpacking tent I gave $180 for way back in 2009 (Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA) - I looked up to a beautiful blue sky with just enough cottonball clouds to keep it from being boring to look at.

P9090304.jpg

P9090320.jpg

Today was my first officially scheduled stop on my trip: Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, a new and little-known national park in the Flint Hills that protects the native grass that lends its name to the park, as well as a heard of bison. Despite its lack of diversity, the park was beautiful to look at. It was great to see what the prairie I learned about as a child actually looked like, rather than the pictures of wheat I saw. The park contains an historical farm (including an ornate stone farmhouse) and a restored one-room schoolhouse. It really is a beautiful area, and the people were so friendly. I could very easily see myself living here and enjoying the peace and quiet.

P9090354.jpg

P9090377.jpg

P9090394.jpg

P9090416.jpg

P9090419.jpg

P9090421.jpg

Lee, a gentleman I later met in Wyoming and came to be friends with (and whom you'll reading a lot about later), told me about the Symphony in the Flint Hills. Every June, around the time of the summer solstice, the Kansas City Symphony puts on a concert in the middle of a field. In the background, cattle is herded across the fields and as the sun dips below the horizon, the last note is timed to play. I can't go this year, but I'm hoping to make it next year.

P9090479.jpg

After exploring for a few hours, Shane and I made our way south towards Wichita. For those keeping track of my inventory for their own trips, it's worth noting that I corrected an oversight at the Cottonwood Falls Dollar General and purchased some Pepto Bismol. Since I was in no hurry, I opted to skirt the I-35 toll road in favor of the scenic Kansas Highway 177. Once we hit Wichita, we headed west on US 54/400. The rolling grasslands of eastern Kansas gave way to flat, cultivated land in precise squares.

At this point, it had been four days since I had a real shower and it was getting to me. In Cunningham, I stopped at a new Love's for fuel. I went inside to get something and scoffed at the $12 they charged for a shower. However, as I was gassing up, I gave in to my longing for cleanliness and decided it was worth it. I probably just stood there under the hot water for a good fifteen minutes, letting the heat soak into my bones. Since the truckstop was new, the shower was spotless and I made sure to leave it as clean as I could. I had informed the cashier ahead of time that I was bringing Shane into the bathroom with me, but definitely not bathing him. She must not have seen me come in with him, because the look on her face when she saw me exit the shower with an 80 pound dog was pretty funny.

The sun had been setting when I stopped and it was dark by the time I finished my shower. I continued west on 54/400. When planning my trip, I had thought about overnighting in Greensburg. In 2007, the town was hit by an EF-5 tornado and the Discovery Channel did a miniseries about rebuilding it, including one episode on their John Deere dealership. I love farm equipment, but being from rural Appalachia, I never see anything bigger than an 80 horsepower utility tractor. I stopped in town for a few minutes and weighed my options, but ultimately decided to push on at least to Dodge City, if not Garden City.

When my trip concluded, one of the few good things about being home was not having to deal with the uncertainty or where I would be sleeping that night and how safe it would be. Not knowing how far I would be traveling each day made it really hard to always plan my stops for the night, and it was definitely the most stressful part of my trip. I don't know what I would have done without freecampsites.net

In Mullinville, just outside of Greensburg, I came across this place in the dark. Talk about a creepy, yet strangely fascinating sight to fly past in the dark at 70 MPH. I would have liked to have seen it in the daylight, but c'est la vie. Anyway, I rolled into Dodge City around 10:00 PM. Along with Greensburg, seeing the town had been one of my targets of opportunity, but the old west street looked like little more than a tourist trap and the smell of the cattle feed lots sealed the deal. After a quick stop at McDonald's, I continued on to Garden City. By the way, there is a Dodge dealership in Dodge City, named Lopp Motors. What kind of person passes up the opportunity to name their business Dodge City Dodge?! It was around 11:30 PM when I pulled into Garden City, which I was thankful to see was a large enough town to have a Sam's Club and several restaurants. I parked off to the far side of Walmart with a couple of campers, walked Shane, and went to bed after a long day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier