Lets talk about camp lights

tatanka48

Been using these things for 50 years. No issues so far. Anyone shoots one of my antique lanterns and I'll beat his fool ass to death with his own gun.

Dietz-Comet.jpg

and itsa Dietz!

these make a beautiful glow in camp w/o drowning out the camp fire light or star light ;-)

place them up wind w/ Cinderella Oil in them for mosquito protection

T

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I like many used a gas lantern happy-fully for years. These days convenience, size/space, and safety keep the gas lantern on the shelf. In addition its way more light then I want at a camp site.

J!m

I don't care for head lamps (tried several); because I normally wear a wide brimmed hat in the field.

Enjoy!

You may like a Streamlite sidewinder. It’s a mil-issue light with a clip that folds; has red white and blue LEDs, as well as IR, with three intensities and flash option. You can clip it on a belt, shirt poccket etc. it’s a flat rectangle with two AA batteries inside.

Usually around $20 on eBay.

I got one in a lot with other stuff and it’s a great light. For a lot of reasons, but I also wear a boonie at times and the headlight doesn’t work with it. This can.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I love the hissing sound of a Coleman lantern when camping. But then again, that has been a sound I've heard camping growing up as a Boy Scout in the '70s and will never change that for a solar LED lantern.

Like changing a campfire (when permitted) for a tablet with a video of a fire. I guess depends how you grew up.

pluton

Adventurer
Headlamp is most important if hands are needed, but they are annoying. I use it on top of my boonie-type hats all the time.
I always carry 4 4-AA LED lanterns, but rarely use more than one.
I'll place the LED lantern on top of the vehicle when hiking away at night as sort of a homing beacon.
The LED dome lights(tungsten-colored---thx SuperBrightLeds) in the 4Runner are helpful and can be left on for hours.
turtnite_8009061140211 Turtle Mtns.jpg

Since it has been mentioned about night vision I thought I would add these notes. Most know that using a red light will help in preventing loss of night vision. It is not so much the red as it is the lack of blue light. Blue light causes a reaction in the eyes that takes longer for vision to recover from.
When choosing lighting and concerned about loss of night vision chose a light with a color temp of 5000 Kelvin or less. While the light might not be pure 5000 Kelvin it will contain less Blue. This is why most use Red for use at night because of the lack of Blue. This is one of the reasons that a campfire is so pleasing as it is around 1850 Kelvin the same color temp of sunrise and sunset.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For rechargeable batteries I have had excellent luck with ENELOOP and carry a 12v/USB charger.

What are others using and feedback

For NiMH AA and AAA I use Imedion, chinese eneloop knockoffs (thank you for the rip off, amazon) or Harbor freight (the fake eneloops are slightly better than the H/Fs but not as good as the Imedions).

You may like a Streamlite sidewinder. It’s a mil-issue light with a clip that folds; has red white and blue LEDs, as well as IR, with three intensities and flash option. You can clip it on a belt, shirt poccket etc. it’s a flat rectangle with two AA batteries inside.

Usually around $20 on eBay.

I got one in a lot with other stuff and it’s a great light. For a lot of reasons, but I also wear a boonie at times and the headlight doesn’t work with it. This can.

Tried similar lights. I modified both a tap light and a harbor freight light for button hole use/carry but rarely use or need forward pointing lights, since I stopped hiking in the dark.
The tap light resided on the cot side table and is easy to turn on by fumbling/feel; when nature (or other emergency) calls just before dawn...
The vehicle flashlights are G.I. 2 D cell military angle heads with LED retrofits - for extreme runtime, water resistance (& too ugly to steal).

Since it has been mentioned about night vision I thought I would add these notes. Most know that using a red light will help in preventing loss of night vision. It is not so much the red as it is the lack of blue light. Blue light causes a reaction in the eyes that takes longer for vision to recover from.
When choosing lighting and concerned about loss of night vision chose a light with a color temp of 5000 Kelvin or less. While the light might not be pure 5000 Kelvin it will contain less Blue. This is why most use Red for use at night because of the lack of Blue. This is one of the reasons that a campfire is so pleasing as it is around 1850 Kelvin the same color temp of sunrise and sunset.

I prefer LED tent lighting in the 2500 o 3000K range, 5000K is to white/blue for me. I don't really worry about night vision (because I have a flashlight in my pocket)

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
looks like i'm in the majority so far

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO bring a Coleman lantern

a new PROBY member of our canoeing group brought a double mantle Coleman lantern so he could watch the camp fire

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO...

as soon as he got it filled pumped up lit and set it down so he could see the camp fire one of the senior members of the group casually walked over and picked it up

once in hand it was carried 25 paces away into a clearing and placed on a non-combustible spot of dirt

upon returning to the camp area the afore mentioned senior member of the group calmly turned and drew

the report was immediately followed by a huge fire ball(we all wear safety lenses in our every day eye wear) about 25 paces from camp :-O

the PROBY was instructed to police the area in the morning if he wanted to come again

HE DID a real well job of cleaning the mess leaving absodadgumlutely no evidence of the incident

BACK TO HEADLAMPS CANDLE LANTERNS AND THE CAMP FIRE ;-)

T

You sound like the type of "person" (if you can call yourself that) who gets areas closed to public access, we can only hope that such antics find you in the kind of situation that removes you from camping altogether....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We mostly use head lamps but keep a DeWalt work light in the rig in case we need to set up in the dark, if your eyes have a hard time adjusting quickly when you look away from the light it's too bright. I don't even bring a light when I go to the bathroom.

CSG

Explorer
Not a fan of a lit camp. I do use a headlamp when wandering around and a candle lantern or Streamlight Seige when light is necessary. I love the candle lanterns for soft aesthetic light and the Streamlight when more and steady light is needed. I almost never do campfires anymore. Too risky in the dry mountain west during the times I travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94