Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I had a long discussion with the misses this evening about making the final decision on where this build is headed and she strongly hinted at the AT Habitat being her favorite option overall. This took me by surprise, but it gets her vote by a long run. Now, should we move forward on this we need to decide if we go with the one we were running which had front and rear windows and side doors, or should we order another with NO side doors?!

I find myself torn, but she makes a good argument in regards to frequency of use versus price, added weight, durability/build quality, and most importantly remaining true to the idea of camping and keeping in touch with being outdoors instead of "glamping" like the other options lean towards. What say you?

rNRAGJi.jpg

SX5EtqN.jpg

driller

old soul wanderer
I know on mine i use the wall space for equipment. I have track on the walls and use bungee cords for all sorts of things. Also as high as your truck is the door on the sides would be somewhat useless.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I know on mine i use the wall space for equipment. I have track on the walls and use bungee cords for all sorts of things. Also as high as your truck is the door on the sides would be somewhat useless.

I agree, I made that very argument from day one in regards to the side doors, but I do like the way that they look, it helps to break up the vast emptiness on the side. I know I'd use the interior and exterior side walls to mount stuff should I order one without the side doors. It really boils down to getting my hands on one now with a lot of the upgrades for a better deal than ordering new stripped down that would likely take 3-4 months.

Inline6

Adventurer
I would think the side doors could add ventilation, but I doubt it is needed. Getting things in and out of the bed from there seems a bit cumbersome if not doable at all. Not that I have used one before.

I would skip them and put the money towards an awning, that you are going to get any way. Or some other slide out options for the bed.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The Habitat has the same mileage hit that a popup truck camper does and you've already installed the bags to carry a camper. Being able to pop the top in a minute is a substantial benefit that can not be overlooked. Frankly, I'd only be looking at the Habitat if you didn't want to spend the money on a 4wc or ATC and even then, I'd look for a used one. I bought the ATC I ran for $12k when it was about 4 years old and it looked brand new.

I tried to make the Habitat make sense a while back and it does everything worse than an Oztent RV-5/awning combo and nothing better. I really don't see the point except for the Overland cool points. If you are going to spend the time and money to "build out" the bed inside of that thing, you can get a much more functional setup inside of an actual camper for the same money. Your truck will go everywhere you want with a 1200# popup in the bed with zero issues.

Just my 2¢.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The Habitat has the same mileage hit that a popup truck camper does and you've already installed the bags to carry a camper. Being able to pop the top in a minute is a substantial benefit that can not be overlooked. Frankly, I'd only be looking at the Habitat if you didn't want to spend the money on a 4wc or ATC and even then, I'd look for a used one. I bought the ATC I ran for $12k when it was about 4 years old and it looked brand new.

I tried to make the Habitat make sense a while back and it does everything worse than an Oztent RV-5/awning combo and nothing better. I really don't see the point except for the Overland cool points. If you are going to spend the time and money to "build out" the bed inside of that thing, you can get a much more functional setup inside of an actual camper for the same money. Your truck will go everywhere you want with a 1200# popup in the bed with zero issues.

Just my 2¢.

Very valid points, I do not disagree.

In all honesty, this info was a complete surprise and caught me off-guard, I thought that we had moved on from the Habitat in every way and now here I am having to entertain the idea once again. She does like the adventure trailer as well and they are mighty nice, but I am just not completely on board with those myself.

malibubts

Adventurer
I've got a standard bed cap on my truck, but I've been drooling over these types of campers for years, maybe on the next truck.

IMO I'd go no side windows, I have non-opening windows on the side of my shell and in 3 years I don't think I've ever though, hey I wish these would open up. I really also don't car much about the window being there itself, I'd agree with the poster above and take the area for storage.

One big advantage that these types have over the FWC is that they don't slide into the bed and you get the utility of a standard shell in one. Now this won't apply for everyone, but I use the functionality of the shell a ton for skiing, hunting, etc times when I may not actively be camping. With the FWC installed you don't have much room on the inside for these kind of activities. Obviously you can take out the FWC, but then you don't have any shell and having dog crates or something in the back leaves them exposed. You can also used some type of drawers in conjunction with the camper that you can't with the FWC.

There are also the pop-top that are FWC like the OVRLND or there are a few companies (AT, Go Fast, Vagabond) that make the wedge style pop-ups. Either of those I'd think would be less work to setup than the full flippac style.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I think it’s an awesome choice, but I’d also be looking at a GZL400/MOD from earth cruiser, or a Camp pop up from Overland Explorer if you’re ever going to be camping in a wet/cold area.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
One big advantage that these types have over the FWC is that they don't slide into the bed and you get the utility of a standard shell in one. Now this won't apply for everyone, but I use the functionality of the shell a ton for skiing, hunting, etc times when I may not actively be camping. With the FWC installed you don't have much room on the inside for these kind of activities. Obviously you can take out the FWC, but then you don't have any shell and having dog crates or something in the back leaves them exposed. You can also used some type of drawers in conjunction with the camper that you can't with the FWC.

There are also the pop-top that are FWC like the OVRLND or there are a few companies (AT, Go Fast, Vagabond) that make the wedge style pop-ups. Either of those I'd think would be less work to setup than the full flippac style.

I agree that you get a two-for-one in the AT Habitat/Summit because it still retains the shell aspect of the system and I have certainly come to love that with my Snugtop. I will say that the build quality and durability of the aluminum construction versus that of the fiberglass on the traditional camper is also a major plus.

The major drawback to the FWC is having to take it on and off every time we want to use it. If the PW were already a dedicated rig and not used on a almost daily basis then I wouldn't care as much, but that is not the case at the moment. Also, if it were to be a dedicated rig, I'd still much prefer to have a diesel flatbed with a flatbed model FWC in every way. Again, that is not the case and Smolich Motors is a joke and have dropped the ball on the last AEV Tray Truck that I had held with them.

I was leaning towards keeping my Snugtop on and adding a Cargo Glide sliding tray to the bed to mount a few items and then tow the adventure trailer (what she wanted not more than 72 hours ago) behind it when needed since that seemed to be the route that the other half wanted to go. But now she throws this wrench in my fan and convolutes everything I had come to expect and plan for up to this point lol.

If it were my call I would go with the FWC from a usability standpoint, but I can't afford to go against the grain with the person I share my home with lol. She hates how they look, how they add weight up high, the need to store it somewhere (at the moment that would require a trip to the ranch one hour away) and the fact that we would be perpetually taking it and the camper on and off adding time to our prep and likely damage to the truck, FWC, and the shell over time.

Neither of us are fans of the traditional RTT and with my injury and both us down on energy and strength, climbing around on top of the PW to setup and take down the tent isn't something we are willing to hassle with any longer. Like we have said many times before, there is no perfect solution and all options have their inherent drawbacks, but for now it looks like we are back to the drawing board, ugh.

Kingsize24

An FWC or a Habitat, either one would be a great place to camp in honesty, IMO. Either one would be a great buy. I can see the utility argument malibubts has pointed out as well. We have to live with this stuff daily, so if one helps in that aspect as well, it may be the better choice for you.

tacollie

Glamper
I have the OG habitat I guess. We like the windows for ventilation for dogs. If you don't have dogs I see no reason for the windows.

Habitat vs 4WC. 4WC is a lot more weight and a bigger performance hit. I was honestly disappointed with the interior space of the 4WC. I would look at a Econoline with a 4wd conversion before I would look at a 4WC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94