Call me crazy...1994 Disco 1

Boss Hog

Observer
I’m a Toyota guy-always have been. But I swerved off my usual path last year & bought a 1992 RRC in August. The engine was tired, so I bought a Disco 1 with a swapped 4.6L for $1k. Plan was to swap THAT engine into the RRC. In December of the same year, the RRC was rear ended & totalled. Sexiest vehicle I ever owned. With the insurance money, I bought an FJ60...but I still had the Disco.

I put it up for sale with a price that was too high, but if someone wanted to pay it...and I drove it. A lot. Mostly around town & in snowy weather. It drives well. Very well in the snow. It’s relatively comfortable (iffy heater, unsure if the a/c works, may need some work/rebuild of the transmission & transfer case).

I had promised my brother I’d sell it to him. But now...I really like this thing. Wife is gonna be pissed. The heart wants what it wants...
My RRC and the Disco 1...
2DA9A6C5-917D-4B03-9408-F0311DD3810E.jpeg7F854D7E-109E-4174-8677-D5D590F42F20.jpeg

Boss Hog

Observer
That post wasn’t clear. I’m more thinking out loud. I figure if I say it out loud, I’ll actually make a decision.

The RRC had been gone for a year now. I just posted the pic for reference. I drive the Disco quite a bit. More than my FJ60 in fact. The 60 doesn’t fit in the garage at work, and I’m trying to save miles on it as it has Classic plates.

I’ve offroaded the 60, but not the Disco. A minor ground wire issue caused the Disco to die on my wife when she was leaving the grocery store. Now, she’s afraid of it. It has also developed a creepy brake issue that intermittently feels as if the brakes are failing. A quick pump of the brakes and it stops. My (British) mechanic seems to know what the issue is and can have it sorted in short order.

Plans are to clean it up, new shocks all around, and maybe a stronger bumper. I think less is more on these...

Boss Hog

Observer
Sorry-I’m keeping the white Disco. The RRC was totalled and is gone. I just posted a pic of it for reference.

Ray_G

Explorer
My experience, such as it is (and is far more verbose in my D1 thread) lends to this:
There is something inherently great about a D1 if her quirks appeal to you. The RRC is nicer by far, but the D1 has its own charm and does have some utility that the RRC doesn't quite have.
On the whole my time with the platform has lead me to believe the key is driving it, often. Laying hands on her to maintain essentially creates reliability and driving it validates that.
In fact that was the subject of a long discussion about our D1 (Coyote) over the weekend heading back from WV since she lives up there now, isn't driven much, and thus little things are starting pile up-making me feel guilty for the neglect.

Whatever you do, keep her clean in terms of mods!
r-
Ray

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Far from crazy. My first D1 was a 1995 5sp, a P38 and D2 in between, then a 97 D1 300Tdi followed by a 2007 LR3. When I sold it, I missed having a LR but in particular a D1. So, found this 98 D1 LSE in Saskatchewan and had it shipped to Ontario. It won't see the winter's salty roads here as there is basically no rust on it, it's for summer use only. Hope to keep this one a long time. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is really great on gas for daily driving, this one's going to be about "smiles per miles".
9e23668a-5e5e-4e93-827c-1362f2feadb3.jpg

Boss Hog

Observer
On the whole my time with the platform has lead me to believe the key is driving it, often. Laying hands on her to maintain essentially creates reliability and driving it validates that.
In fact that was the subject of a long discussion about our D1 (Coyote) over the weekend heading back from WV since she lives up there now, isn't driven much, and thus little things are starting pile up-making me feel guilty for the neglect.

Whatever you do, keep her clean in terms of mods!
r-
Ray

Interesting point. I've noticed that the brake issue I mentioned is less frequent the more I drive it. I rarely see D1s in great shape. It always seems like they end up at "Buy here, pay here" types of places. After who knows how many owners.

Everyone has their preferences...but I tend to be open-minded about rigs. I almost drove this thing to my Rising Sun Toyota 4x4 Club meeting this month. Maybe I'll drive it there next month!

I'm thinking at a minimum, the following issues need to be addressed:
-Replace all coolant-related hoses (for peace of mind)
-Tune-up
-New battery
-Flush radiator
-Oil change with Amzoil (filters too)
-Transmission/Transfer case/Diff fluids replaced
-That weird, nagging brake issue resolved
-Windshield replaced
-New radio
-Key fob replaced
-Shocks
-Smallish (2"?) lift
-Upgraded LED headlights

Maybe the only "bling" I'll put on it will be an aftermarket bumper. Driving in Denver is dangerous and I've had two vehicles totaled in two years-a drunk driver (my FZJ80) and rear-ended on I25 in the RRC. No rooftop tents, huge expedition-style racks or anything like that. Maybe some Front Runner load bars for the eventual fly rod carrier or occasional roof top load. These rigs stand tall-I don't want it much taller...I love reliability, and Land Rovers don't enjoy a great reputation in that regard. But in all honesty, anything over 15-20 years old is going to have some deferred maintenance-related issues. Even Toyota guys are always tinkering/repairing/replacing/upgrading...

I'll use it to daily drive to work, fly fishing, dog park (for Mrs. Hog), and pheasant next fall for me and Moose...

Boss Hog

Observer
As for your bakes issue, it’s not just a case that the master cylinder needs a rebuild is it?

Not sure. I replaced the ABS pump last spring. Still showing the ABS light. That's as likely an issue as anything else. I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

J!m

ABS light can also be caused by a wheel speed sensor.

But back to the point: D1’s are very capable and comfortable. Ideal wheelbase, reasonable cargo capacity, fit in most garages, are not “alien” like Defenders are at local shops (if you use them) and with a scan tool and modest selection of hand tools there’s not much one can’t fix themselves.

More complex and comfortable than the Defender, but not so complex to be impossible.

I’ve not owned one (yet) but I have a feeling their popularity is going to increase sharply soon.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The ABS light can be caused by a speed sensor and can also cause the truck to feel like the brakes are not engaging, and often they are not, until as you say, you pump it a couple times. The first time this happened to me was quite scary ? You can go under the hood and pull the main ABS fuse. This will bypass the ABS system and avoid the brakes not stopping you issue. You’ll still have the light on the dash, but you’ll stop.

Ray_G

Explorer
I think many of us with D1s pull the master fuse and just drive accordingly. You can chase the ABS system with parts but I never found it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss Hog

Observer
I think many of us with D1s pull the master fuse and just drive accordingly. You can chase the ABS system with parts but I never found it worth it.

Any degradation in braking performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles