Rtt on rainy trips

nucktaco

Adventurer
Hey all,

I’ve got a wild coast tent big sky and we’ve had it for about 3 years now. Love the tent but I’m having issues with packing it away wet when on longer trips.

I’ve rewater proofed the tent multiple times but if it was raining and I close the tent up it’s guarateed that when I go to open it at the end of the day the inside is soaked and the mattress and topper we’ve added are wet.

Last year we ran the Alexander Mackenzie trail and when we would stop for the day around 5ish I would have to use bungee cords across the inside of the tent and hang the mattress off of them so it would dry enough to sleep on.

I’m going to add in an anti condensation Matt this winter but any other tips? I see other leaving their bedding inside and there’s no way in hell thats an option at this point as everything would be soaked.

Living in the PNW rain and wet camping is pretty common so would be awesome to try find a solution to the problem. I read through 17 pages of this section but didn’t see anything related.

Pfa

Attachments

• DD7D4D9A-519F-4857-AFD0-3F13889539D4.jpeg
    DD7D4D9A-519F-4857-AFD0-3F13889539D4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83

SirCampalot

Adventurer
I wonder if using a air mattress instead of the supplied mattress would be a better option during the wet months... just a thought. I have yet to camp in a downpour with my Tepui so I can't really provide much more.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You could get or make a waterproof cover for the mattress, but other than that, I have no ideas for you. Every tent I’ve ever owned becomes a mess when packed while wet, and my various RTT have been no exception. Maybe some sort of fan/heater for the inside before you lay out your bedding?

Box Rocket

It looks like your tent may be similar dimensions to one of the Tepui tents. I suggest looking at a Tepui Weatherhood. They will slip over the tent quickly and are completely waterproof. They are excellent for rainy weather because you can keep the tent canvas dry and avoid putting it away damp and risk mold developing.

nucktaco

Adventurer
Thanks guys! I’m Gona look into the tepui all weather hood as that might be a good option and the mattress cover. Appreciate the help!

Box Rocket

Thanks guys! I’m Gona look into the tepui all weather hood as that might be a good option and the mattress cover. Appreciate the help!
Let me know if you pull the trigger on a Tepui weather hood. I can get 10% off for forum members.

Lionix1

I wonder if using a air mattress instead of the supplied mattress would be a better option during the wet months... just a thought. I have yet to camp in a downpour with my Tepui so I can't really provide much more.
Used my Tepui in a downpour and stayed dry, packed it up wet. Went to open it, still dry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nucktaco

Adventurer
Let me know if you pull the trigger on a Tepui weather hood. I can get 10% off for forum members.

awesome when im ready to purchase i will let you know. my only concern is my tent seems to be 4 inches wider than the equivalent Tepui tent. do these fit snug or do they have any stretch to them?

TOUGE

Used my Tepui in a downpour and stayed dry, packed it up wet. Went to open it, still dry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mine was the opposite originally. Fly leaked quite badly so water pooled on the canvas roof then that dripped inside. Canvas soaked through so when closed wet it soaked the mattress. I have re seamsealed it and used Nikwax tent waterproof on the canvas and it’s better now.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Pick up a blue tarp and cut it to the size of the interior. Put it in before closing the tent and roll it up when opening tent. All my RRT canvas tents got the bedding damp when closed up wet. Thank goodness they seems to dry quickly when deployed. Good Luck!

Box Rocket

awesome when im ready to purchase i will let you know. my only concern is my tent seems to be 4 inches wider than the equivalent Tepui tent. do these fit snug or do they have any stretch to them?
There is not really "stretch" in the material but it's got a bit of room so it's not a super tight fit on the Tepui tents. But a 4" difference is kind of a lot. I can't promise it would fit. If you can find someone near you that has one that you could test fit, I'd try to do that before purchasing. Or just give the Tepui shop a call and tell them what you're trying to do and ask about returning it if it doesn't fit right. Shouldn't be a problem.

old .45

Observer
There is not really "stretch" in the material but it's got a bit of room so it's not a super tight fit on the Tepui tents. But a 4" difference is kind of a lot. I can't promise it would fit. If you can find someone near you that has one that you could test fit, I'd try to do that before purchasing. Or just give the Tepui shop a call and tell them what you're trying to do and ask about returning it if it doesn't fit right. Shouldn't be a problem.
Ditch the RTT and get a proper PU with a good topper and awning... all stay's dry and no wind noise plus hard shell security to boot. remove the topper and you have a truck oh so useful in daily going ons......

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I have an ARB and find myself stuck in FL where it always rains when I go out. I've taken it up and down during big fat rain and haven't had a problem with the inside being wet. I do have to open it up again when I get home because mildew and New Yorkers love FL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94