Supercab: Removing backset for more storage

the_new_nomad

15 F250 | 99 Montero | 84 Avion | Tiger 900
In my 5 years of owning a supercab, I have never had anyone sit in the backseat. So I decided to pull it out to create more room for storage. My thoughts are to make a shelf along the bottom so that the floor is completely flat, I could store some items under it like my tripod, yoga mat, etc. Thoughts for the seat back location is something like a MOLLE panel with pouches attached. Hoping I can squeeze a dometic fridge in the back as well, but not sure if it will be able to slide out as the half door might get in the way (I wish it opened fully like the 2017+ Superduty).

Questions:

1. Any other ideas for what I should do with this space? I do need to hang clothing back here so I want to retain some height.
2. MOLLE system could get expensive, any other thoughts for a pouch system if I choose to go this route?
3. Is a slide out for fridge really that important if it won't fit? Is there any other purpose for the slide out other than easy loading/unloading?

As far as my trucks use goes, I basically live in it. I technically live full time in an airstream, but spend many weeks living out of this truck during work travel, and I find myself car camping on most weekends.

I appreciate your comments, hoping to get it right the first time around.

Attachments

• IMG_0764 copy.jpg
    IMG_0764 copy.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0763 copy.jpg
    IMG_0763 copy.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 99

chet6.7

Explorer
I took my back seat out as well,it did increase noise in the cab,so I put Dyanamat on the back wall,it helped.
I plan to build a frame(someday:) ).Here is a picture from this site,I have something else in mind but this might give you some ideas.
8BF8CBA0-F012-4586-B1AD-A0451AA69431_zpsxzzzldkr.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You will be able to access your fridge just fine without a slide, but the slide will allow “shelf” storage over it. For example, in my Jeep, there is an expanded metal shelf about 3/4” above the fridge. Without the slide, there was always stuff stacked on top of the fridge, and then the fridge was a pain to use.

Another possibility, can you remove your middle front seat and use a fridge for a console by adding a few cup holders to the top?

Remember too, most fridge slides are designed for low height, so the drawer runners are out and to the sides of the fridge. If you can reach, the fridge slide could be made much narrower by putting the fridge on top of the glides. How wide is your door opening? It has been a long time since I’ve had one of those cabs.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Rather than the expensive molle system I would use footman loops and plywood. The loops could be screwed to the wood and located anywhere that is most convenient for your items. The straps that come on many things would be easily used or create your own system to locate the items. The loops come in many sizes and plywood could be painted any color you desire. Also a fridge or slides might be easier to fasten to plywood.
https://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Footman_Loop_p/mfl.htm

I have an Isuzu D-Max extended cab. We use that rear space as rainproof/theft proof storage. 2 mountain bikes fit in the space with the wheels off. Our space is smaller than a Ford F150-350 so you should be fine.

The other major use is as a place to put our ski kit. To avoid issues with wet/muddy kit wrecking the truck, or falling out when we open the rear doors, and to ease loading I have bought a dog hammock!

The hammock was $25 from Amazon. It is padded, waterproof, comes with a pouch behind the passenger seat. It clips onto the head rests front and rear, plus onto the coat hooks over the rear doors. The side sections and the gap between the front seats can be zipped open for access. The seat belts fit through velcro slits in the bottom and it comes with pet restraints that fit the seatbelts: good for restraining loads. The underside has non-slip rubber mat.

Putting the bikes in the hammock when it is out of the truck allows you to arrange them easily and pad them properly. Then you lift the hammock in as one package. It is a two person job though.
Dock Hammock 91t1nTZKk7L._SL1500_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles