What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

ATK has a good reputation. Jasper does as well. Some years ago I would never recommend jasper but they have seemed to put a lot of effort in fixing themselves.
Iirc, Napa used to sell gopher reman motors and had good reviews. Not sure if they still are.

I checked out jasper back when I was looking around. They seemed on par with ATK from what I perceived, but the whole process seemed less easily available to an individual/residential and more wanting to deal through a shop. ATK was readily available to be ordered through 4wheel parts, and they even paid the sales tax. Freight was only $50 from Texas, dropped in my garage.

Side question: now that everything is pretty much new on this XJ, who has a lead on a good AW4 replacement when the time comes. New torque converter, solenoids, and soon to be cooler but want to be ready when it dies.

American Jeeper

I’ve been to Marble Falls and Bridgeport a couple times. Colorado is awesome but a long way from Dallas.

Yes that makes it what, 12 hours or so Dallas to Denver. Long haul and not worth it unless you can spend a while there. I’ll have to check out Marble Falls and Bridgeport.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I checked out jasper back when I was looking around. They seemed on par with ATK from what I perceived, but the whole process seemed less easily available to an individual/residential and more wanting to deal through a shop. ATK was readily available to be ordered through 4wheel parts, and they even paid the sales tax. Freight was only $50 from Texas, dropped in my garage.

Agree. That aspect of jasper is a very frustrating one for us home mechanics. They have a great program and produce a solid rebuild but it’s difficult as a consumer to buy. Being forced to go through a middle man usually raises the cost unless you know someone willing to “hook you up”. I understand why they do it and don’t fault them but it does make it an unattractive option for us little guys.

Side question: now that everything is pretty much new on this XJ, who has a lead on a good AW4 replacement when the time comes. New torque converter, solenoids, and soon to be cooler but want to be ready when it dies.

The AW4 is an amazing, long lasting transmission. I don’t know as I’d want to buy one that was rebuilt. They so very rarely fail and are known to often outlive even the venerable 4.0.... I’d suggest simply scoring one or two used ones, as low mileage as possible, from a junkyard. Squirrel them away as the supply will eventually dry up. A good cleaning and fresh fluid/filter and you should have enough spares for a lifetime. Just make sure you get the correct year tranny. The AW4 had a few changes in their Jeep time. Output spline count/length as well as an additional sensor to the later models.

Agree. That aspect of jasper is a very frustrating one for us home mechanics. They have a great program and produce a solid rebuild but it’s difficult as a consumer to buy. Being forced to go through a middle man usually raises the cost unless you know someone willing to “hook you up”. I understand why they do it and don’t fault them but it does make it an unattractive option for us little guys.

The AW4 is an amazing, long lasting transmission. I don’t know as I’d want to buy one that was rebuilt. They so very rarely fail and are known to often outlive even the venerable 4.0.... I’d suggest simply scoring one or two used ones, as low mileage as possible, from a junkyard. Squirrel them away as the supply will eventually dry up. A good cleaning and fresh fluid/filter and you should have enough spares for a lifetime. Just make sure you get the correct year tranny. The AW4 had a few changes in their Jeep time. Output spline count/length as well as an additional sensor to the later models.

Fair enough. Will say the same on Jasper, and honestly could have gotten it through a buddy’s truck shop I’m sure but the ATK was less hassle all around.

I’ve done the filter and fluid recently and just replaced the torque converter and shift/lockup solenoids to see if it will fix my P0740 code and intermittent issue. Going to route in a cooler as well to keep it at operating temp. Will keep an eye out for a late model AW4 down here as the pick and pulls don’t charge too bad for them. Really looking to grab the full assembly, ecu and accessories of an AX-15 2000xj though so a manual swap is a possibility.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Fair enough. Will say the same on Jasper, and honestly could have gotten it through a buddy’s truck shop I’m sure but the ATK was less hassle all around.

I’ve done the filter and fluid recently and just replaced the torque converter and shift/lockup solenoids to see if it will fix my P0740 code and intermittent issue. Going to route in a cooler as well to keep it at operating temp. Will keep an eye out for a late model AW4 down here as the pick and pulls don’t charge too bad for them. Really looking to grab the full assembly, ecu and accessories of an AX-15 2000xj though so a manual swap is a possibility.

I hear ya. I’m normally a manual guy in my Jeep’s but the AW4 has shown to be a good unit. Hopefully you can find what ya need.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
FINALLY added a ladder to the Maximus-3 roof rack. RTT is coming soon!

Add one of these and you'll have e a stairway to heaven.

b5a2e04f74500a678213b55e0d605d78.jpg

offroader613

Upgraded to Mopar E-code headlights with 12awg wiring to support. Eventually need to clean up the wiring, but works for now. Easily one of the best mods I've done to my ZJ. (yet to be aimed in the photo...)

drm

randomly looked read a few pages of this post and saw another xk owner posted. lots of cool jeeps here.

picked this up a year ago and slowly fixing small things and getting it ready to do some exploring. currently making some cross rails out of unistrut and on the lookout for some recovery points for the front. new tires when i get my money's worth from the current set.

planning to do the kentucky KAT 4x4 sometime this spring...

Attachments

• 20181013_173712a.jpg
    20181013_173712a.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 32

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Going to pull this POS optima battery out and replace it... temporarily with a junk yard battery (so that I can have confidence that it will start) then a good marine battery.

Enjoy!

tsteb112

Nothing to crazy, just dressed it up for a Christmas parade and I am now running with just the garland on the bumper and rock rails.
57e1acb54ff2dadd640b3ccdb07091a2.jpg

tsteb112

The last two days: cut off Evo rock sliders so I can install poison spyder rocker body panels. Drilled 42 holes for the nutserts/ mounting bolts. Had a few spin/not line up that great. Cut the bolt heads off and glued them in place. Then beefed up the sliders by sleeving them with 1.5”x .25” wall DOM tube going the length of the mounting tubes. Not my welds, beautiful nonetheless. Extended the sliders about a 1/2” for more of a step. And it snowed last night.
680af02be37444cd58d8c44cc2cf5dce.jpg
4be4452a770f4b2c4de8210f9fe8170e.jpg
b365d3a97815bac15a9e948c46efc461.jpg
904460712c1fa090419015184dec0852.jpg
a23b29c5807d598f3023af2c961ff5f2.jpg
a22b0bfed587d7ebf6528046a3ed0075.jpg
4bdb7a8aa16b8e8d8060edc4facaebe2.jpg
efc3881581220fdc5ace47e5c1bad74c.jpg
5a3f3ee62ec34d13c7bda96ff45746bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads