Is there something between a teardrop and a regular caravan?

GkraneTX

That overkill camper looks nice for what the description is. Not really any good pictures of it though. Has anyone ever seen one or are they just some prototype? How would that composite shell would compare to aluminum skin and aluminum frame?

Teardropper

Nope. Big or little take your pick.

YawIiGB.jpg

;)

T

Grassland

The Mantis from Taxa Outdoors seems to be something in the middle. Not quite what we want, but also a lot larger than a lot of people want. Frankly we want something a bit smaller than an R-POD, but same width, and with a tip out bunk. Ideally the tip out bunk means we dont need shore power or generator for AC, but the size (14-16') is big enough to use as a camp ground trailer, but also a fire service road/base camp trailer. If I am going to drop over 30 k, I want something the wife will approve of and use, and something I can also use outside of our typical camping season.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I forgot about those guys.

Those are great little rigs for smaller tow vehicles.

I do wonder how “off-road” they are though.

What drives me nuts about so many domestic campers, as well as vehicles, is the marketing these things get for the off road crowd. Just look at the debacle with GM not warranting Colorado’s with air bag deployment on dirt roads. It’s very disconcerting. There needs to be some sort of scale or rating system in place for capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taxa trailers are not made for off road use.

john61ct

Adventurer
You are so precise about your needs, don't see how you'd be happy with anything less than custom / DIY.

Quality too

dreadlocks

Whats half way between a teardrop and a regular caravan? I small toyhauler, thats what.. a teardrop was not big enough for our family of 4 + 2 dogs, and a caravan like rpod hadda bunch of crap we didnt want like a dinette and a bathroom taking up space and weighing us down.. I need another custom project like I need a hole in my head, my boys will be grown up and moved out before I get my ultimate trailer made from scratch.

Found a 14ft all aluminum toy hauler w/2 queen size tipouts, a slideout kitchen, tandem torson axles and thats it.. its friggin perfect for us, shame they stopped making it weeks after we bought ours.. I'd think they would be more popular than they are.

rkj__

Adventurer
I have a nuCamp T@b CS-S, and I love the experience. I did not buy it for adventures off of the beaten path though.

They make a lifted version, called the Boondock. The added height does open up some slightly more rugged dispersed camping spots. Taking trailers off road is not really my thing though. I prefer to use a trailer as a base camp, then go exploring.

31877827248_b4a38cec8f_z.jpg

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
I will be building another prototype this spring. Teardrop size with hard shell lifting roof and slide out queen bed.
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz