Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Thuren bumper fitment troubles

So- the Thuren bumper attaches to both sides of the frame, and requires the winch cradle to be unbolted from the frame as well. the winch with the cable weighs 137lbs - so that pretty much leaves me with removing 50lbs of cable from the winch and hoping I can strong arm the winch back into the bumper from the back after its mounted, OR welding the cast frame mounts to the bumper and mounting the winch in with the bumper at the same time

why am I having this trouble you're asking? well the bumper totally covers the bottom of the winch with its skid plate. I am in for a ************** chore. ugh.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thuren bumper fitment troubles

So- the Thuren bumper attaches to both sides of the frame, and requires the winch cradle to be unbolted from the frame as well. the winch with the cable weighs 137lbs - so that pretty much leaves me with removing 50lbs of cable from the winch and hoping I can strong arm the winch back into the bumper from the back after its mounted, OR welding the cast frame mounts to the bumper and mounting the winch in with the bumper at the same time

why am I having this trouble you're asking? well the bumper totally covers the bottom of the winch with its skid plate. I am in for a ************** chore. ugh.

Well that sucks!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
lets get this going

56184286192__BCBD94A6-03D9-4363-84F7-77EAE3AC016A by Will Marshal, on Flickr

56184287220__CF7A6E7C-5DE4-4452-A719-C8D59E5CF54B by Will Marshal, on Flickr

grille off

IMG_0893 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

bumper off
IMG_0894 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

I actually thought the no bumper look was kind of cool with the PW winch cradle. If I hadn't already committed myself to this thuren bumper, I think I would have removed the bash plates behind the recovery horns and seen what everything looked like on its own

IMG_0895 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

my idea of suspending the winch with ratchet straps worked beautifully

IMG_0897 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

the thuren bumper uses the lower "snow plow group" holes. I think all 4wd frames come with these holes pre drilled on the 4th gens

IMG_0898 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

freed from her shackles

IMG_0899 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

so here's where it turned into a pain in the ass. as soon as I unbolted the winch from the cradle supports, the frame shifted wide about a 1/4 of an inch making slipping it on the frame rails IMPOSSIBLE. I eventually was able to shoehorn both ends of the bumper onto the frame horns and jack it into place, the last bit of maneuvering assisted by a sledge because there was so much friction. All in all, the only real modifications I had to make to fit this thuren bumper onto a PW was clearancing the cradle mounts on the frame for the d-ring tabs on the bumper, and welding on the fairlead mount for the bumper itself.

56211793023__3308323D-4269-48EC-91F2-51868A270E1E by Will Marshal, on Flickr

56211794060__1C499795-24BA-47BD-9540-8FE0E99E1C10 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

really pleased with the outcome. I absolute adore this bumper and how everything fits together. I got a LOT more clearance and approach angle, and I have a convenient ledge to step on if I need to do engine bay work

IMG_0914 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

all the rams lined up at the meet and greet last night with the local overland, Offroad and ADV community

IMG_0923 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

Don is changing the shackle gussets so that you don't have to modify the cradle. I'm not sure when the change is coming but it will be a bolt on affair for the PW model.

Mo4130

Adventurer
That thing is sexy as hell. One of my top choices for the new family vehicle. Just concerned with the size and New England trails.

Explorerinil

Observer
What you don’t run the mud terrains in the winter? If you have an in with falken please beg them to make a 37x12.50r17 in E rated 10 ply.

ttengineer

Adventurer
What you don’t run the mud terrains in the winter? If you have an in with falken please beg them to make a 37x12.50r17 in E rated 10 ply.

Don’t look at the tire rating or equivalent ply rating. It’s all BS.

You have to look at the actual load rating for the tire. Falkens current 37x12.5r17 tire is rated at 3525lbs per tire. That’s plenty of load rating for even a 3500 SRW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Don’t look at the tire rating or equivalent ply rating. It’s all BS.

You have to look at the actual load rating for the tire. Falkens current 37x12.5r17 tire is rated at 3525lbs per tire. That’s plenty of load rating for even a 3500 SRW.

Is it?

Theoretically, wouldn't you want your tire load rating to accommodate your GVWR, or close to your GVWR, with only 3 tires on the ground?

Three 37x12.5R17 Falken tires only gives you 10,575lbs of capacity, which is a bit under the 3500's 11,700lb GVWR.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast

the 37x12.50R17D M/T has a load rating of 3525, the 37x13.50R20E's that i run currently have a load rating of 3860. Not a huge difference honestly.

Wait for the new Falken R/T that will be out this coming summer, its built specifically for 3/4 and one ton trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles