Winch wiring help

hovenator

Explorer
Haven't wired my winch since the install, but want to get it connected.

Do I:

A) Wire it directly to the battery posts/terminals? (Need new battery post connections with extra screw mounts?)

B) Use a battery on/off selector switch between the battery and winch?

C) Some other method that works best?

Thanks for any and all info provided. Any diagrams or posts with pics would also be very helpful.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've bought this set before:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QRTZR...colid=I3D7OB5560U1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You'll see them called ordnance terminals sometimes.

They were high quality. They may actually be East Penn/Deka manufactured, not sure. Regardless, whoever made them did a good job on the ones I got, very clean molds, sharp casting, good quality lead. They are a positive and negative pair specific to each terminal, not universal. They fit perfectly on my Odyssey, seemed almost a custom it for the post taper such that they sat flush on them.

Sometimes you'll see these made cheaply, lots of excess material where the molds obviously didn't fit well together. Also make sure you under no circumstances get lead-free versions. They make them RoHS compliant and these will just fracture the moment you tighten them.

Superduty

Adventurer
The ones posted by DaveinDenver are similar to the military terminals, but slightly different. The photo by Verkstad is what I have always used in my trucks. This is what Verkstad is talking about - Military Battery Terminal.

Or this on Amazon.

Verkstad's advice on wiring the winch is sound. I have mine wired with an under hood on off switch. It stays off until I need to use the winch or I believe a situation is coming up where I might need to use the winch.

robert

Expedition Leader
Blue Sea makes good products, you just want it heavy duty as a winch under load can draw a lot of amps. I went the cheap route, I just disconnect the positive cable when I'm not off-roading or using it. It took me all of a minute or two to reconnect it the other day when I pulled out some shrubs at my folk's house. My solenoid box is mounted under the hood so I have to pop it to plug in either the wired or wireless remote anyways.

hovenator

Explorer
Yeah, my controller is under the hood too. Might be just as easy to connect/disconnect it from the battery terminal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles