LR4 Roof Rack Weight Limit ?

ryrytom

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can give me better insight into the weight limits for racks on the LR4 with the glass roof. The Rhino Rack Pioneer trays (which I am interested in) gives warning note that "the load rating must be reduced to 165lbs with the Alpine Glass Roof Option"... I believe all LR4s here in America came with the glass roof so there is no other option.

Other companies like, Front Runner has no mention of reduced weight load on their web page. Rhino Rack lists a load rating of 220lb and Front Runner lists static weight limit of 600lb...again these two numbers seem very off when both racks and companies seem to be on par with one another.

Please let me know if you have any input or better information.

Thanks!

Campndad

Essayons!!
Not sure about all the limits. We have just finished a trip 7000 miles and had no problems.
cd53842d64dccb16f6d4807e81b24688.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keanan

Observer
I know what you are thinking... and no you cannot have your mother in law ride on the roof. Not only would it exceed the roof weight limits but having that much weight up high will through off your center of gravity too much. It's just not safe.

amcjen

FWIW, I’ve cruised 100 miles at a time with ~225 lbs up top, strapped down tight. The entire rover was packed full as well (was heading out to Burning Man for a week and had it packed to the gills).

I didn’t exceed 55 mph and wasn’t doing any off-roading, but it handled it just fine.

krick3tt

Adventurer
My FR roof rack rides about 4 inches above the glass. Helps to shade it. I have about 40 pounds (plus weight of the rack) on the rack at any one time and camping it carries about 300+. since it attaches to the outside of the limit of the roof where the OEM attachment points are I have not worried about the capacity.
I guess it depends on where the rack is carried (attached) on the roof and how the company designs the rack to fasten to the roof.

RBA

Adventurer
I had a James Baroud RTT on my LR4 rack for 1.5 years...never had an issue. I used a thule 3 bar system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles