New Dometic CFX-65 Flashing Power Light

erstwild

I just picked up a Dometic CFX-65 to replace my trusty ORCA cooler and seem to have run into an issue right out of the gate. It powers up with 120 volt wall plug just fine. However, it does not power up with the 12 volt cigarette plug at all (going into my Renogy Lycan which is functioning properly) and just has the power light blinking red. I have reached out to dometic support and think I will likely need to return it. Any one else familiar with these issues in recent units?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'd try a different power source, like a vehicle's 12v port with the engine running. I'd also set the fridge low voltage threshold as low as possible to see if maybe voltage drop is the problem.

Even if the Lycan is "functioning properly", there could still be a voltage drop through the 12v port with a heavy load.

john61ct

Adventurer
Use a known good high voltage power source

Forget the ciggie port, go direct from terminals both sides for testing, then use Anderson for production usage.

erstwild

rickc

Adventurer
My CFX75 runs fine from the ciggie port with the provided ciggie port cable. I agree with the points above; could be my ciggie ports are stronger and have less voltage drop.

john61ct

Adventurer
A compressor fridge is usually well under 5A.

But the ciggie port design is an inherently unreliable connection, and even at low current can cause arcing, melting plastic even start fires.

erstwild

See "back interface"

APP = Anderson PowerPole

Standardize on them, get a crimper.

or PowerWerx has good accessories.

Ahh, there it is on the back panel! Thanks. Do you have a recommendation on a turn key cable? I'd rather not have to splice if it turns out I need to return everything and try something else. I'll start looking at that PowerWerx site to see if I can find something that works.

john61ct

Adventurer
Do **not** test the fridge from that powerpack.

As stated several times, first confirm whether or not that is working, from a known-good DC power supply putting out say 10A at 12-15V.

Then when you are sure that is OK, put it on the Renogy powerpak.

The APP connectors should be well-crimped directly to the fridge's 12V leads.

If the fridge lets you replace those then you can, but don't insert any complications, KISS

dcg141

Adventurer
Where is your battery threshold set? I think the default setting is high and any time voltage drops just under 12 volts the yellow light comes on. Its there to protect your start battery. I run a second battery and have the threshold let in the low position.

rickc

Adventurer
esrtwild: before sending the fridge back, check the ciggie adapter. Mine is a well-built unit stating that it is rated for 15A at 12V. It unscrews at the ciggie connector end; I thought this was to replace a fuse but it exposes a two pronged plug. I'd simply test the fridge end plug for 12V when the other end is plugged in to the Powerbox; my Dometic ciggie port cable is very short; maybe around 3' and I'm plugged into an ArkPak.

Just a comment regarding the ArkPak; I noted when I first got it, all the plug-in connections are really tight, including the two ciggie female ciggie ports; much tighter than the regular truck ports. ArkPak confirmed that this was by design to ensure that connectors didn't fall out/come loose on the trail. Is it possible that the Powerbox design is similar and that the male ciggie port plug is simply not pushed in far enough?

erstwild

Sorry All! Been away. The dometic works with cigarette when plugged into the car. The Renogy Lycan also works with other small devices with cigarette light plugs. I also tried fiddling with the different battery levels on the fridge to no avail.

I now understand the cigarette adapter weakness but is definitely frustrating. This is the second time something like this has happened. I bought an Dometic CF-025 fridge to try to partner with my old Anker Powerhouse and encountered the exact same issue.

I might try a Engel or National Luna if I get the chance sometime as well. On the fence of just splicing the cable or returning for something else.

rickc

Adventurer
erstwild: the two prong plug hidden in your ciggie adapter (if it's the same as mine) also works as two simple blades to which a pair of female connectors can be attached so no need to splice the cable.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
If it works plugged into the car's cig port, then the problem is not the fridge or the cig port.

The problem is the power pack. It can't maintain enough voltage to run the fridge. It can do small stuff, but the fridge drags its voltage down.

Not surprising, it's got a small 24ah battery. Even if it could run a 65 liter fridge, it wouldn't do it for long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne