The Bohemivan ('98 Roadtrek, lifted Chevy 3500 2WD)

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Time for another update. Remember when I said this:
Mat Mobile;69924 said:
For the suspension, all that is left is the alignment (it currently has a very bad postive camber angle but the garage has barely touched it at this point) and the rear sway-bar installation.

Well it turns out the reason why the camber was off by so much is that the garage didn't do a proper installation. They put the spindle on top of the bottom control arm instead of underneath it.

This (below) versus this link.
uc

This brought up the front by about 3" which makes way more sense:
uc

The garage tells me there's no rubbing of the 285/75R16 tires.

Of course, the back will be lifted an extra 3" with blocks to make it level.

The rear sway bar is a Hellwig. I think the garage ordered that one because Roadmaster was back order or something. Anyways, it's done but it will require cutting a little bit off the grey water tank (bottom left scratched in the anti-rust grease and dust):
uc

They have a local supplier that can weld plastic so that should be good.

The exhaust system has also been completed. I should be trying it out on Saturday, then it's back off to the fabricator for the roof rack, rear bumper, line-x, interior electrical, solar panels, fridge, etc... :oops:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Some small progress. They put 2 blocks for a total of 3.75" in the back but suggested waiting to do the alignment until all the heavy accessories (bumpers, winch, spare) have been installed.

I then drove the van back to the commercial truck outfitter. It drove REALLY well even if the direction was a little squirrely (because of the lack of alignment). But it was a very positive feeling when driving it.

The shop then brought it to Line-X for the rocker panels:
uc

uc

GpnAZ

Observer
Some small progress. They put 2 blocks for a total of 3.75" in the back but suggested waiting to do the alignment until all the heavy accessories (bumpers, winch, spare) have been installed.

I then drove the van back to the commercial truck outfitter. It drove REALLY well even if the direction was a little squirrely (because of the lack of alignment). But it was a very positive feeling when driving it.

The shop then brought it to Line-X for the rocker panels:
uc

uc

Looking Good, thanks for the update!

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
There's a lot of activity going on right now:
uc

The roof rack has been installed after powder-coating white. LED clearance lights have been placed all around. Side lights for campsites. I plan on removing the old clearance lights and plugging the holes. There's tons of info on the web but if anybody has a suggestion on how I can do that project, I would appreciate it.
uc

uc

The 2 x 100W solar panels with a tilting mechanism (that little shaft sticking out in the middle) on the passenger side. The driver side will be used for surf board or kayaks.
uc

The back was a bit of a challenge. Initially, I was planning on tying in the roof rack with the rear bumper but it didn't make sense so that idea was scrapped. But I still wanted to be able to close off that big window if I had to store the vehicle for a few weeks/months for security reasons. So the shop built this frame that ties the roof rack to the back of the van. This frame also acts like a ladder to reach the roof. Of course the grill will be removed and stored inside most of the time as that window also acts like an emergency exit.
uc

Currently, they're working on all the electricals as well as the refrigerator. Soon it will be the front bumper and attaching the spare tire to the rear of the vehicle. All this should be done in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, they won't have time for the rear bumper before summer (too many other jobs to complete) but they will work on it again next september.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
So what has now become Phase 1 of the upgrades is now complete. The shop ran out of time to finish some details like the rear bumper and storage compartment locks. But it will be usable for the summer. I'm still (IMPATIENTLY o_O) waiting for the alignment to be completed. So here are some more progress pictures:

Weldtec designs bumper installed:
uc

Close-up of bumper and 12,000lbs. Smittybilt winch with synthetic rope, fog lights and light bar:
uc

Temporary spare tire mount (new bumper planned for Phase 2 this winter), Roadshower 4 and you can see the Maxfan:
uc

Another view:
uc

So the alignment should be done today... But I've been told that for a couple of days now and my grandpa's at the hospital :)cry:) so I don't think I'll be picking it up before Saturday. This weekend I have tons of little things to do (including removing the final decals on the high-top). Hopefully we can go camping by mid-June! I can't wait!!!

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I finished up the van by repairing the fresh water system. After trying to repair the original one, I finally had to replace it (with a bigger better one of course). I also added an accumulator and a Nature pure water filter.

And we left for our trip to Magdalen islands last Sunday.
568b6f43768e792c05a23db8abf90bb3.jpg

“Mommy, the van is too high!”
c12b8e3214b339e175d136f6aa0de898.jpg

P.S. Grandpa is doing fine. Recovery took a while and a pacemaker but he’s now in recovery and should be home in about 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
We drove down the 108 in New Brunswick the other day. Definitely not a 4x4 road but pretty rough for an RV! But Gandalf did really well! Much better than before. It ranked pretty high on the “Slow down! Said my wife” meter.

We took the van up a logging road just a little bit for lunch. The ground clearance really helps!

ee8ce7a6927243c723029e030ec8bca3.jpg

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Another wild campsite that’s picture worthy:
56ed0fa9b0bbe6b1a93cf77079cb3e3f.jpg

Plus I took kitesurfing lessons last week. I still have to get the equipment and practice a whole lot more but it’s the perfect #vanlife sport:
791a54c075b3be653622468bacc4ba56.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles