Installing lift on my own?

SgtVeXX

How feasible is it for one person to install a complete lift kit themselves in a weekend that has light - medium mechanical ability and tools on a 2004 4runner WITHOUT XREAS?

Specifically this kit: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com...r-03-09-4Runner-07-09-FJ-Cruiser_p_1059.html#
...or this one: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/UL-FJ3K--FJ-Cruiser4Runner-Ultimate-3-lift-package_p_22.html
don't see much of a difference between the two...

Would I need a spring compression tool? how about any other specialized tools?

Provided directions in combination with a haynes manual enough to figure out?

Last question...how hard to install the extra 1" body lift they offer as an option for $119 in the kit? Worth it for a bit more tire clearance?

Any kits I'd be better served with to do a 3" lift to get me clearance for 33s?

Hoping to get my rig capable on/off road without breaking the bank.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Definitely possible. OME has some great videos on Youtube walking through each step.
You won't need a spring compressor for either of those since they come already assembled.

I pieced together and bought a kit from Wheeler's Off Road. For a few extra bucks, they assembled the coilovers for me. Watched a YouTube tutorial, and did the first corner in a couple hours. Knocked the other three corners out in about the same amount of time that it took me to do the first.

It's pretty easy. Just make sure you have big metric sockets and wrenches, and make sure you torque everything down to factory specs when you're putting it back together.

4mul8

It's certainly doable with one person, but having a second pair of hands will speed things up, particularly once you've got the taller suspension in and are putting everything back together.

Watch different YouTube walkthroughs. When I did the suspension on my '99 4runner, I made a cheat-sheet with the torque specs in an easy to read format. I found this far easier than referring to shop manual pages mid-assembly.

dcwn.45

Observer
I installed a OME suspension on my Tacoma by myself,
Took around 7 hours.
No hoist, just floor jacks.
Very doable

bkg

Explorer
Definitely have the coil overs pre-assembled. Worth every penny.

Have a bottle jack free to push the lower a-arm down for installation.

Did my wife’s gen 5 in about 6 hours. Think I spent more time on the skid plate drop than anything

Skeptic

Adventurer
Definitely have the coil overs pre-assembled. Worth every penny.

Yes. We just did an OME lift on my '12 and had to use a spring compressor. Having them pre-assembled will save you the hassle...

Clutch

<---Pass
Have a bottle jack free to push the lower a-arm down for installation.

My thoughts are, you have to get it aligned anyway. I like to unbolt the lower ball joint, easier to line everything up I found plus makes it a tad faster...seems like less struggle. Bolt the top of the shock in first, then I use my floor jack to push the LCA back into to place, bolt the lower shock mount and ball joint. Hell of a lot easier than dicking around with a bottle jack.

Since the OP's 4Runner is an '04. I would probably put new ball joints in there anyway since he is going to be in there. Might have a look-see at the tie-rod ends and CV's too...

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Break those two bolts loose on the lower ball joint and the lower arm drops harmlessly out of the way. It makes R&R the coil over ten times easier, pretty much mandatory. Also doesn't require a ball joint separator or messing with cotter pins and castle nuts. Just need a 19mm socket and the longest handle you can find.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
It doesn't matter with the coil overs you're looking at but if you disconnect the ball joint you can use the lower control arm as a spring compressor. It's definitely safer than most spring compressor I have used.

robert

Expedition Leader
Doable but definitely easier with two people, even if just to act as a runner- it makes the time go by faster too. You might post where you are and see if any locals are having a work day or want to come help- a 4Runner specific forum may get more responses than here though.

M-cameron

I installed the lift in my Tacoma in about 6hrs by myself......but its definitely a lot easier if you have a second pair of hands to help.

honestly its not hard.....essentially you take your truck apart just enough to replace the old components with the new components......then put every thing back together in reverse order.

watch some youtube videos, read some forum posts.....and it should go pretty easy.

also, dont panic if you think something didnt go right.....you have to work hard to actually break something on these cars.......and if you can get a part out, you can always get it back in.

SgtVeXX

If I do the UCA with Total Chaos or something at the same time do I need anything for the uniball tool wise?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I installed that exact kit in my garage one evening on my FJC. No spring compressor is needed. Its one of those things that will take you 5 hours and a few cuss words the first time, but the second time you could knock it out in a hour and a half. An extra sets of hands is helpful, but not totally impossible without.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles