Rear ladder gear bag

MccannUSA

Hey all!
Just wanted to share a few pictures of my rear ladder mount gear bag and see what you all think. I made the original one seen here in the photos for myself. I designed it as kind of a day pack if you will. There is a lot of times when my tire bag is just way to big for what I need or I'm not running with the rear mount spare tire at all. I wanted something smaller for when my wife and I go out paddle boarding, mountain biking, or hiking for the day and just need/ want a little bit of exterior space to stash stuff like helmets, gloves, towels, blankets, jackets, etc... and be useful while we were sitting around by the vehicle before and after. The idea was to have something that was quick and easy to take on and off but really secure when attached to the ladder. I also wanted it to be as close to water proof as possible and be able to last in the sun, so the bag itself is made out of PVC coated vinyl, seatbelt webbing straps, and aluminum buckles where ever possible. So far it has fit the bill perfectly with the added bonus that it works great for ice and beer as well as a truck tailgate bag and you can wear it like a backpack to transport stuff too! I will be making a few changes on the next one but for the most part this is what it will look like. Thanks for taking a look.20180618_132317.jpg20180618_140438.jpg20180618_141359.jpg20180618_141421.jpg20180618_141435.jpg

robert

Expedition Leader
Gotta admit, not what I was expecting- that looks really nice and well thought out! If that's your first attempt I can't imagine what your second will look like.

MccannUSA

Gotta admit, not what I was expecting- that looks really nice and well thought out! If that's your first attempt I can't imagine what your second will look like.
Thank you, I went back and forth on design ideas, I was trying to stay away from things that would wear out like zippers and such, hence the roll top design. I also spent many years making tactical gear for law enforcement, so I was trying to stay away from the "tactical" look with molle loops and Velcro for patches. I just wanted to keep it sleek and modern looking.

MccannUSA

Very well done. Your requirements have directed the construction toward a well functioning item.
Thank you very much! So far it has been working out great. I also just realized that it works on my spare tire really well too. My regular spare tire bag is about 2 1/2 times the size of this one, it looks the same but I find that this smaller one is much more useful for me on a daily basis.
20180619_193459.jpg

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Thank you very much! So far it has been working out great. I also just realized that it works on my spare tire really well too. My regular spare tire bag is about 2 1/2 times the size of this one, it looks the same but I find that this smaller one is much more useful for me on a daily basis.
View attachment 455630

Im interested in one of these if/when you start making them.
The roll top is smart, makes it waterproof and usually adjustable in size. Its how dry bags are made, https://amzn.to/2tpltqP

MccannUSA

Im interested in one of these if/when you start making them.
The roll top is smart, makes it waterproof and usually adjustable in size. Its how dry bags are made, https://amzn.to/2tpltqP
I have been getting a lot of great feedback on them, I think I will do a small run of these and the full size tire bags in the future. I spent about 14 years manufacturing bags but I don't do it full time anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles