2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. Today I had a transmission cooling line break on me. Thankfully, I could park and Uber to the parts store.

Finally got both seats in since I'm unemployed and its finally above freezing.

The driver seat sits WAY back, now I can stretch my legs while driving and not in the bent leg van position. Now time to finish the stinking headliner.

BdHLeRCl.jpg

I did the EXACT same thing!! I can power my driver seat so far back I cant reach the pedals!!!

that lets me be able to crash out in the driver seat if I need to pullover for a nap on a trip..

Village Idiot
I did the EXACT same thing!! I can power my driver seat so far back I cant reach the pedals!!!

that lets me be able to crash out in the driver seat if I need to pullover for a nap on a trip..

That's why I did it too.

Since I was laid off, can't find a job locally, I'll be a vandweller for 3 months. I'm going to Colorado to drive a snowcat and finish out the snow season, before moving there next year.

It's gonna be cold. So my main focus is insulating everything I can. I will have the hard date to start, at that time I will build a bed platform.

Starting with the rear doors. I disconnected the rear speakers since they're now mounted in the headliner. Didn't have time/money to buy another sheet of plywood, so I just made covers where the speakers used to be. Then added my ax and shovel on the rear doors after insulating them and putting the covers back on.

The goods:
lpJaMj6l.jpg

Stuffed full. When they close, it makes a thump instead of a clang.

eelPvjml.jpg

Axe and shovel:

Yrpt7Mhl.jpg

Next is the rest of the van.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
NICE!! I had packing foam I stuffed mine with...

I ended my contract with a company last week and got to spend the ENTIRE week working on my van!!!

Im stuck being close to home because the minions are still little and in school..

Village Idiot
NICE!! I had packing foam I stuffed mine with...

I ended my contract with a company last week and got to spend the ENTIRE week working on my van!!!

Im stuck being close to home because the minions are still little and in school..

Thanks!

Still haven't tackled the headliner again. Waiting on it to warm up enough that the glue will set up.

I finally got the L-Track in. I traced it with a marker, then used a router to cut out the recess. They sit flush with the floor. There is a 1' section right behind the driver seat that's hard to see.

40754530521_b4cf8419d5_b.jpg

Then I bought cab marker lights about 6 months ago. I put those in today and added a switch to the large LED dome light. I still have to wire them up, but they're installed lol.

What they're supposed to look like:

38944414730_0bcd593254_b.jpg

25883776037_66dea0bca1_b.jpg

TheVagabondMBA

Observer
Looking forward to see what you do with the motorcycle carrier. I'm trying to get one fabbed for the front end to carry my motorcycle so I can use the back for my 4-bike rack to carry the pedal bikes.

Village Idiot
Looking forward to see what you do with the motorcycle carrier. I'm trying to get one fabbed for the front end to carry my motorcycle so I can use the back for my 4-bike rack to carry the pedal bikes.

I haven't got that far yet. Still waiting on 4x4 first. That way I will know what height to set the lift at.

Also, there is a local river rafting company that has a bunch of wheelchair lifts they pulled out of the vans they use that I might try to snag one.

djbonsu

Adventurer
That's why I did it too.

Since I was laid off, can't find a job locally, I'll be a vandweller for 3 months. I'm going to Colorado to drive a snowcat and finish out the snow season, before moving there next year.

It's gonna be cold. So my main focus is insulating everything I can. I will have the hard date to start, at that time I will build a bed platform.

Starting with the rear doors. I disconnected the rear speakers since they're now mounted in the headliner. Didn't have time/money to buy another sheet of plywood, so I just made covers where the speakers used to be. Then added my ax and shovel on the rear doors after insulating them and putting the covers back on.

The goods:
lpJaMj6l.jpg

Stuffed full. When they close, it makes a thump instead of a clang.

eelPvjml.jpg

Axe and shovel:

Yrpt7Mhl.jpg

Next is the rest of the van.

Nice approach to keep warm. Any concerns of condensation or the walls sweating?

Village Idiot
Nice approach to keep warm. Any concerns of condensation or the walls sweating?

Nah, gonna have a roof vent.

It's motorcycle riding season, so that's my #1 priority right now. But I kinda wanna knock everything out like 4WD before the winter. That way trips up the mountain for skiing won't be sketchy.

Passing by a local tubing company, I saw a wheelchair lift they had in of of their vans on the side of the building. I went and asked them about it, and he said make an offer. I had $20 on me, he said I'll help you load it up.

My new $20 motorcycle lift:

Weeds still on it:

vpcx2Unl.jpg

JYz9RUml.jpg

G9pdBf3l.jpg

All cleaned up and fully collapsed:

7Bblrqel.jpg

The hydraulics work. I had to use the manual pump, and it's missing the remote. After calling Braun, and getting a service manual, and waiting on a quote for a remote from a few places. The manual says I have 4 feet of vertical clearance from the floor of the van to the ground. I'll go to UJOR and see what tire / lift combo will work for that height.

Figure "G" - 48"

fO3SYKPl.jpg

Village Idiot
Now, that I have a lift, my current roof height won't work. I bought a hi top and rear doors from a boneyard in BFE, North Georgia. I had to go offshore for 2 weeks, and they'll have it pulled and ready for me on my way back. Plus I'm getting the entire interior.

i35a0Cjl.jpg

jgGUf4Rl.jpg

j1ECxj8l.jpg

On my way to Mississippi, I was just South of Atlanta and kept smelling burning brakes. I thought it was from semi trucks from the traffic. Then traffic was so bad, I went the back way, and kept smelling burning brakes.

I got out the van, touched the driver's side wheel and it was too hot to touch. Luck me. Nothing like a brake caliper locking up on you at dark, in Atlanta.

I never thought I would be the guy working on his stuff in the Autozone parking lot, but there I was.

I replaced the caliper, pads, bled the brakes by myself, at night. When I get home, the van is getting all new calipers / pads / rotors on all 4 corners.

The caliper that died:

RVyQbzgl.jpg

Village Idiot
Someone was texting and driving and crossed the double yellow in my lane. I hit the curb to avoid getting hit head on. 2 flat tires.

rB1z8pil.jpg

Towed my wife's car 800 miles. Couldn't even feel it back there.

Gl4Q2JAl.jpg

Picked up the high top:

qfQvlrMl.jpg

This one is different than any other one I've seen. It came with a cage.

LPOY3bzl.jpg

How it mounts to the roof:

6W0ykFCl.jpg

Inside and out. I'm gonna have a bus week.

WByMDdKl.jpg

Village Idiot
Glad you missed the head-on!!!
Looking forward to following this install.

Thanks!

I cut off all the tabs, sanded, primed, and painted the ribs to prevent future rust:

FsI5No0l.jpg

Gutted the interior enough to get the top on. Once I have no roof and I can stand up and work, I'll finish the rest.

8TSxx72l.jpg

Forgot to add that I bought 2008+ headlight bezels. I'm putting the 08+ front end on next.

C3qYdfel.jpg

I should have the top on tomorrow.

Village Idiot
Thinking about cutting my wrists right about now:

JODIJJel.jpg

Got the hard part fitted. Still need to do some cleanup welding, but everything fits, which was a huge relief.

gAmKAkBl.jpg

Talk about a sunroof:

gcAlXNgl.jpg

The top is just sitting on the van. Still needs to be bolted down, but I'm over the hump:

ETxTzP0l.jpg

BHFQPqul.jpg

A little motorcycle livery. the rear doors are getting bedliner tomorrow. Just prepping it, and put the windows in for full effect.

FHarfGIl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles