1984 Toyota Van - That's not even Overland..

stolz

Adventurer
Hey guys,

Been on the forum for a while now, I had a Jeep XJ that blew the transmission and motor at the same time.

So I decided it was time for another adventure mobile.. I was looking for a 4x4 Toyota Van for a few months and couldn't find the right one.

Then this guy popped up, a 1984 2WD Toyota Van with 102,000 miles on it. I figure if I have rear wheel drive and the Treds I had from the Jeep, sooo hopefully I won't get too stuck.

I created this thread to document the build/trips and fun we have with the new van.

2832F0A0-5330-404D-AC45-F6B625A53A86.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

1. Awesome find
2. Parts are hella cheap
3. Being 2wd means it takes less to get it stuck, which also means it takes less to get it unstuck ?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Nice van interested to see the build progress. I have been slowly (like glacial) building my 87' 4wd 5spd cargo van.van front.jpgIMG_0145.jpg

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Another consideration is the Toyota Van replacement.

The Toyota PREVIA ALL-TRAC!

Not as much ground clearance as the old Toyota 4WD van however by all accounts far more capable in bad weather (Snow) & some even say off-road than the old Toyota 4WD van PLUS the Previa was far more RELIABLE than the old van it replaced!

At one point there was aftermarket support for the Toyota Previa All-Trac in the form of a lift kit and some armor. I am sure that aftermarket support of probably long gone!

What's not to like about a Supercharged Mid-Engine All Wheel Drive Sports Car Handling Off-Road VAN!

http://www.rightfootdown.com/cars/r...viascleall-tracabudgethothatchorjustaminivan/

Previa Chassis - 800x450.jpg1996_toyota_previa_3_dr_dx_all-trac_supercharged_awd_passenger_van-pic-58976208135877657-640x...jpeg

Last edited:

stolz

Adventurer
@bikerjosh, man I love the rear bumper on your 4wd.

Here's some random little updates to keep my motivated.

This is how the back is currently set up. Super simple plywood floor from the previous owner. (Super heavy will get replaced eventually)

I've got a memory foam mattress and a blanket that Dometic gave me for Christmas.. long story

I have my phone charger and Dometic fridge running off of the solar set up as well.

IMG_3715 (2).jpg

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
@bikerjosh, man I love the rear bumper on your 4wd.

Here's some random little updates to keep my motivated.

This is how the back is currently set up. Super simple plywood floor from the previous owner. (Super heavy will get replaced eventually)

I've got a memory foam mattress and a blanket that Dometic gave me for Christmas.. long story

I have my phone charger and Dometic fridge running off of the solar set up as well.

View attachment 457703

How're you liking your Dometic fridge?

stolz

Adventurer
Recently built out the back of the van, here's a few photos of camping. Will show more of the rear in a bit.

You can follow more on instagram too @choluladaddy

pic2.png

pic3.png

Last edited:

stolz

Adventurer
So we built out the back right before we hit the road from Boulder Colorado to Bend Oregon for Descend on Bend.

Here's the back in what we call "drive mode"

pic1.png

Then once at camp you bust out the support bracket from under the floor.

pic2.png
pic3.png
pic4.png

Slide the floor piece over

pic5.png

pic6.png

burt

Observer
Some film photos from ripping around Colorado this Summer.
View attachment 554496

View attachment 554497

View attachment 554498
Man that brings back memories. I had no idea at the time that one of those vans was my first overlander but it most certainly was. Just a blast to run down dirt roads. Late teens to early 20s in the early 90s I was rocking one of those all over the place. That van had some stories. Always get stoked when I see one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles