M416 Lid Construction Questions

Outlaw ABQ

Hi All-

First, I hope I am posting this in the correct section, please move if not. I am currently working on building a lid for my newly acquired M416 trailer. The top tube rail has already been removed and will be replaced with 2"x1" angle to help create a positive seal with the lid. Concerning the lid construction, I have a few questions I hope y'all can help answer -

1. I am planning to construct the "frame" of the lid out of 1"x1" sq. tubing. Is 1/8" thickness overkill for this? I will be mounting a RTT to the lid. The lid profile will match the angles at the top of the M416 tub.
2. Because the skin of the lid will be cosmetic only, is 20 ga. too thin?
3. What types of hinges do most use for lids? I've tried searching for this, however most of the photos out there of trailer lids have been killed by photo bucket. I was originally thinking of a piano hinge, but want something removable to take the lid off in the event i need to use the trailer for tall items. Would stainless door hinges work in this application?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the 1"x1" is overkill because it will have to withstand the dynamic load of a RTT. Mine weighs 200lbs and the lid holds it no problem. The only thing I can think of for the skin is you don't want something that is so thin that when you weld it to the frame all the welds show through. You can box the front of the trailer in to reinforce it and then build your hinges as a part of the box and the other on the lid. This way if you take off two bolts and the hydraulics the lid comes right off. I built the entire box of the trailer, including the tailgate (welded to the box, not the frame) to be removable from the frame this way if I ever want to remove the box and use the trailer as a flatbed for a ATV I can. Take a look at the pics and let me know iffy have any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2694.jpg
    IMG_2694.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98

Outlaw ABQ

I did get it fabricated. I used 1"x1"x1/8" sq tubing and 16 ga sheet for the skin. I changed design mid fabrication to make the lid square in lieu of following the trailer body style. I used a piano hinge for the lid. The hinge is welded to the lid and bolted through the body so it can be removed if needed. Ill try to get some pictures up later.

Mark2457

I wouldn't say the 1"x1" is overkill because it will have to withstand the dynamic load of a RTT. Mine weighs 200lbs and the lid holds it no problem. The only thing I can think of for the skin is you don't want something that is so thin that when you weld it to the frame all the welds show through. You can box the front of the trailer in to reinforce it and then build your hinges as a part of the box and the other on the lid. This way if you take off two bolts and the hydraulics the lid comes right off. I built the entire box of the trailer, including the tailgate (welded to the box, not the frame) to be removable from the frame this way if I ever want to remove the box and use the trailer as a flatbed for a ATV I can. Take a look at the pics and let me know iffy have any questions.

Very nice. Wanna make me one? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke