1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Again...rough life.

I broke the tent zipper even more that night. Held together with safety pins and duct tape haha. It'll get sent back to LL Bean for a zipper replacement. They said they'd do it for free if I wasn't satisfied...but considering I've had the tent for about 18 years,m I'll gladly pay the $25 they wanted to fix the zipper and ship it back to me.

So, packed up the beast and headed for home.

So, no crazy adventures or anything. Aside from the transmission line which is admittedly MY fault, the jeep ran like a top. I drove 348 miles over the weekend, no issues. Average fuel economy for the whole trip was 12.9mpg. The last leg from Susanville to Reno was about 13.8. Everything was a mixture of highway at about 55-70mph, climbing grades, slow steep dirt roads, etc. Engine never crossed 200*. I'm not sure if I would have had issues had I still been running a carb, but It sure did a lot better than the last carbureted trip I took it on to Booneville. Looks like the EFI is a major improvement and i'm getting closer to having it dialed in. This weekend I'll be installing HEI.

njtacoma

Explorer
Great adventure, and get away.

I know the forest service locally here in Colorado has had a big problem with Wagoneers on 20's tearing things up:):):)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
If I've got it...I might as well use it!

Wife and I hadn't been camping in a few weeks, and we realized this was our only free weekend in October, so, we loaded up the Campah. Since all our favorite spots up near gold lake, Davis lake, etc are closed for the winter, we tried a new spot and headed down to Ft. Churchill state park, just outside of silver springs, NV. About an hour away from where we live.

I sent a message out to the local guys on Thursday night, and turns out one of them was able to join us with his 76' J10.

It was a nice weekend, sucked leaving Reno during rush hour, but the truck made the trip without any issues and I was pleasantly surprised with its ability to maintain speed on grades with the camper. The EFI and HEI seem to be helping. Didn't drop below 60mph heading out of Reno or heading up the 395 to the North Valleys where I live.

Nothing special, so I'll let the pics do most of the talking.

We arrived just before sunset.

Pretty typical camp setup...we made a nice FSJ barricade for privacy though.

Now he's a happy camper!

We decided to head out on Saturday to do some exploring. got down to the Carson River, but all the other roads we took went nowhere and ended abruptly. We werehoping to get further up into the hills.

good ole Nevada.

Hardcore FSJ flex, yo.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Headed back to the campground and went for a sunset walk through the ruins of Ft. Churchill, which was built in 1860, and abandoned soon thereafter.

Few more pics of camp:

and sadly, all trips must come to and end. Packed up and headed home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94