LR4/Discovery 4: School me?

Jason911

Adventurer
Have been finding myself in daydreams kicking around the thought of owning a LR4. I've read a ton of the threads on forum(and read/re-read the OJ build) and figured I would ask here - because this forum is a treasure trove of really useful information and people. Admittedly I know almost zero about anything Land Rover, but the brand has always had an appeal to me, even though I've been a Jeep owner. I'd love to acquire a TDV6, but here in the states that is a no-go, so I know I'm relegated to gas/petrol engine. Ideally, I would be looking at/for a 2012-2014 model, lighter exterior color with a darker interior, and would serve as multi-duty highway/gravel-travel, long weekends and longer vacations as well as occasionally meeting with clients/upscale. It's probably more wishful thinking right now, but stranger things have happened, so if you could, please school me? Maybe I don't want a LR4 but instead a LR3?

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
1st. Search. We answer this question 3x a week. Not to be a ********, but take a moment and search.

2nd. They are pretty much perfect. Buy it and bask in its glory. Knowing you have the rover part, good reliability, a giant V8, comfy air suspension, and excellent off road capability.

Jason911

Adventurer
1st. Search. We answer this question 3x a week. Not to be a ********, but take a moment and search.

2nd. They are pretty much perfect. Buy it and bask in its glory. Knowing you have the rover part, good reliability, a giant V8, comfy air suspension, and excellent off road capability.

Actually I did search and I read a good portion of 202 pages of threads in the Land Rover section. Maybe more specifics then - what should I look for when looking at used LR's? Known problems and things to steer clear of, or known and easily fixable problems? The reliability that you mention was why I was looking at a late model

Ray_G

Explorer
There is a lot of commonality between the 3 & the 4; having driven both and with a close friend who has both I think the bigger engine on the 4 is nice as is the interior refinement. Not so nice that I was concerned about the signficant delta in cost. I also prefer the somewhat more utilitarian nature of the LR3's interior-and exterior (i.e. taillights) but that is a personal preference.

In terms of what you should look for, that road is well covered through the search-i.e. as recently as yesterday it was discussed in my LR3 thread but for the sake of highlighting one of the most substantive guides look here: https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/buying-a-used-lr3-v6-or-v8-which-options-cautions/

r-
Ray

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The reliability that you mention was why I was looking at a late model
By late model I assume you are referring to 2005 and newer, thus the LR3/4 or RRS Platform. They are MUCH more reliable in all respects over previous models from Land Rover.
The LR3Tips website has an article on what to look for with regards to LR3's (short answer: 2008/9 LR3 with HSE and HD packages). All years of LR4 have been good, because it's just an LR3 with a more powerful engine and softer interior. It's a closely related evolutionary upgrade, not a new model. The LR4 definatetly has a more modern electronics package though, with cameras everywhere.

Pick your price range, shop accordingly.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Hey Jason,

I'm a recent(September) buyer of an '06 LR3. Personally, there was never an option for a 3 or 4, due to cost. But I did spend a lot of time researching and asking questions about the 3, here and on other sites. This site and the people who post here regularly, were a big part of why I pulled the trigger on a 9yr old LR(my first). Feel free to PM and ask any questions you wish about the LR3. I absolutely love driving it, but will be completely honest and open with the few gripes I have so far.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I offroad an LR4 and have a close friend who does the same in an LR3. Both are great platforms. Just buy the newest one you can. Can't go wrong.

11709665_10207443277740338_4738163582856740013_n.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Taking my own post from LR forums, see below. Additionally there are significant pricing differences between newer 4's and older 3's.
REF: http://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/lr3-vs-lr4-76448/

EDITED TO REFLECT ERRORS IN ORIGINAL POST (thanks expo people for bringing some up in posts, Umbertob and mpinco)

"This will be a long one, so there will be a TLDR at the end . I have driven both, but own a 3, so accept my bias with a grain of salt. I will say the 4 is one of the smoothest driving trucks I have ever experienced, and I've driven most of the Ford F-series from the 150's to 550's.

Interior: x2 what earlier poster said about interior differences. IMO the 3's interior versus the 4 is still very nice, but you feel more like you're driving an overland-able truck instead of a mall crawler. Also the design update removed the handles on the front headrests, something which I aesthetically enjoy AND almost every passenger I've had has mentioned they liked when I'm going over rough ground (so they can hold on). The controls are simpler in a 3, no frills, and I prefer the muscle memory of the auto shifter in the 3 (NOTE: the discovery 4 retained the shifter until 2014 when they removed it) to the stupid dials and paddle of the newer 4's (2014MY-). With the 3 you get way more physical buttons and I have always loved the layout, everything is more or less logical to me. Every once in a while I visit the sales staff at my dealership and during a few tours of the 4 I have had to fish for what buttons or settings I want. I'm sure its something you'd get accustomed to if you owned one, but my that's my take. On the 3 only the drivers window is one-touch, something I constantly find annoying. The Discovery 4 has a smaller/skinnier steering wheel in the newer 2014- models. I do not recall when the Discovery 3 started getting heated steering wheels added as part of the cold climate package, but the 06 did not have it.

Exterior: I love the front end of the discovery 4 but that's about it.
They're so similar exterior wise that it mostly comes down to the grill, fender flares (mentioned by HOUM_WA), headlights, and taillights. I like the older look with the more overt amber indicators of the 3, but that's a personal preference. The 3's have great headlights with the xenon bulbs anyway, and I can adjust the beams in my driveway with a screwdriver and they still look very modern. Sometime after 2007-08 I believe trucks started getting auto-leveling headlights which you cannot adjust with a screwdriver... I hate the running lights constantly on but I think you can disable that feature somehow on the 4's. The 3's are manually operated, no LED running lights. 3's can also be equipped with the LED taillights that the 4 has, but you will need to add ballast to the wiring (check the how-to thread someone recently did on the forums here). Functionality-wise the 4 made roof rails an extra option too so it will be annoying if you get one without rails and then want a roof rack. 3's come with rails standard. Easy upgradeability. Discovery 4 added an air intake on the drivers side for a total of TWO air intakes. 3 has a right-side air intake only, which means you can put a snorkel/RAI on it if you REALLY want to look super cool :snorkel:.

Engine wise, while I do appreciate what they have done for fuel economy (this applies only to the SCV6) and instant power with the 5.0 V8 and the 3.0 SCV6, the 4.4 seems like the "bulletproof" (and I use that word loosely ) option since they're powerful enough, simpler to work on, have better parts availability, and are more widely used. Even the TDV6 guys (the engine you would want if you could get one) have mentioned a few times that they would appreciate the extra muscle of the V8. I have seen a few posts about guys with the 5.0 having problems that others could not figure out because we're used to working with the 4.4 so safety in numbers?... For now the most info is out there for the TDV6 and the 4.4L as these trucks are getting older and needing some maintenance. Within a few years the 5.0 may start to be in the same boat.
Discovery 3
2005 4.0V6 or 4.4V8
2006-2009 4.4V8

Discovery 4
2010-2013 5.0V8
2014 3.0SCV6

Transmission: the 4's I've driven have the 8-speed which while being smooth, seems like way too much of a complexity gamble for a vehicle which ostensibly should be up for some heavy abuse. The 6 speed is the sweet spot for me, especially since its a ZF tranny which will treat you right if you flush fluids every once in a while (75k rather than the 150k LR suggests)(I will admit that they do have problems on some trucks...). Unfortunately the market is favoring smoothness (more gears/changes) over robustness (less gear changes, easier to service/repair, longer lifespan). The disco sport AFAIK has a 9-speed...
Discovery 3
2005-2009 8-speed ZF

Discovery 4
2010-2013 6-speed ZF
2014- 8-speed

Wheels: I thank my lucky stars every day that I have 18's and not 19's. I have heard anecdotally that some guys have forced their dealers to trade their Disco 4 19's for OEM Disco 3 18's (which should fit with minor spacers, or minor grinding to brake caliper housing-read the overland journal LR4 thread), I feel bad that so many 4 owners are stuck with a ****ty wheel/tire choice as stock. The compmotive 18" are excellent aftermarket options for a disco 4 but are $$$, which a 3 owner would otherwise not have to spend.

Differentials: the 4 has had all the updates to the known issues the 3 had with differentials, which usually came down to a better breather and the fact that early models had the insides of the diff painted? (never confirmed this). Unfortunately a lot more things are options on the 4's so its now a ~$1500 optional extra to have the HD package versus a ~$600 option a few years ago for a 3. Expect to swap in a new diff or two, and make sure you update the breather for the front diff (its ridiculously easy, you can do it standing up with scissors). The locking diff models for the 3's are notoriously hard to find for sale BUT now that ARB has air lockers, that is not an issue.

TLDR:
Interior: Discovery 3=more rugged but nice, front seats have grab handles; Discovery 4= way more luxurious, way more buttons, later years deleted the shifter knob in favor of a dial/paddle shifters.

Exterior: Discovery 4=nicer headlights, more LED's, different grill, paint matched fender flares, different tail lights, no roof rails as stock, TWO air intakes. Discovery 4 front end was refreshed for the 2014MY. Discovery 3 simpler lines, simpler exterior, overall identical shape, YES roof rails stock, early models were available with halogen or Xenon lights, air intake only on right side of NAS vehicles.

Engine: Discovery 4=5.0L V8 (from 2010-2013) or 3.0L SCV6 (standard starting 2014MY); both are nice. Discovery 3=4.4L V8, or (in very rare cases) a 4.0L V6; 4.4 is proven, simple, good compromise

Tranny: Discovery 4=6speed or 8speed, Discovery 3=6speed, your choice really.

ADDED: Compressor: The Discovery 4's have the AMK compressor for the EAS now instead of the Hitachi's that the Discovery 3 came with. The AMK can be swapped to the Discovery 3 however, but it should be said that the 4's in theory have better compressor reliability.

Wheels: Discovery 4=19" wheels only, this sucks (can buy aftermarket 18"s, but this=$$$). Discovery 3=18" wheels stock, great size for tire selection, still look good.

Differentials: Both trucks were available with HD package as an option which added an e-locker @ rear. Discovery 4=most problems fixed, more $$$ for the HD than before (2014 and onward years made the low-range box as part of HD package, so base trucks do not have low range as standard anymore). Discovery 3=expect some problems, still okay though, ARB makes lockers (air/mechanical, not electronic so does not interface with LR computer systems) if you can't find HD package models."

Pricing: Varies widely, but generally expect to get more bang for your buck with older vehicles. Newer ones may have warranties still, and obviously lower mileage, BUT there are a quite a few Discoveries still around with one owner that has taken great care of it and has perfect service records. A lot of original owners sell them either before the 75k maintenace period, or around 120k and onwards. They usually do not have warranties beyond 50-60k unless they had an extended one.

Last edited:

aek50

Adventurer
I also relatively recently picked a 4 up. After owning a classic for years for the trail work and being leery that the brand had gone soft in recent years, it was largely from reading posts hear that brought me over and opened my eyes to what the 3 and 4s can do.

I setup a nationwide search on autotrader to look for 2010 through 13 with the heavy duty package and watched and waited. For about 6 months I let a number go by for one reason or another but eventually found a 2012 white exterior w/ black interior with heavy duty package and was certified pre-owned so it came with extended warranty. Talk about the needle in the haystack!

As already mentioned, just read previous posts about the items that need replacing at certain intervals like the lower control arms etc. and be aware whether the truck in question has had them already or will likely need them shortly.

Otherwise, I have been super happy with it. Powder coated the wheels black and had the grill, mirror caps, air intakes and lettering painted black for my own black package. Next up, roof rack, sliders, likely a rear bumper since some jack a#% hit me two weeks after getting the truck in a parking lot and drove off, install the fridge, ham radio and other misc bits before heading out on the trail. Perfect for longer family overlanding trips!

jerdog53

Explorer
We have been talking about up grading the 3 to a 4 in a few years but now I may not want to after reading this.

Jason911

Adventurer
Thank you, thank you and thank you. Kudos to DiscoDavis for adding his lengthy and detailed explanation - honestly, more of what I'm looking for. I value honest opinions and input as it certainly helps me. Again thank you so very much.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
LR4's up through 2013 were the naturally-aspirated 5.0L V8 with 6-speed.

You are correct. After the switch in 2013 they went to the 3.0 with 8-speed. Should have mentioned with regards to engines I was covering the 14'-15' MY. AFAIK the other differences remain constant over the years.

umbertob

Adventurer
To be fair, up to MY2013 the HD pack of the LR4 was pretty much the same price as the LR3, about $700 or so because, just like on the LR3, it only included the active rear diff and a full size spare wheel. It became more expensive on MY2014-16s, when in its infinite wisdom Land Rover decided to make the 2-speed transfer case optional as part of the Heavy Duty pack instead. So, if you are buying a MY14 (or later) LR4 without HD pack, you are giving up not only the LRD and a full-size spare, but also a transfer case equipped with low range, so that's suddenly a vitally important option - if you want to take your LR4 off-road.

Also, if we are going to split hair the full-time running LED lights and silly pop-up dial shifter thingie with steering wheel paddles were also introduced only on MY2014s (at least in North America), 2010-13 LR4s carry the same shifter as the the LR3's, and no running LEDs unless your low beams are also turned on.

Jason911

Adventurer
To be fair, up to MY2013 the HD pack of the LR4 was pretty much the same price as the LR3, about $700 or so because, just like on the LR3, it only included the active rear diff and a full size spare wheel. It became more expensive on MY2014-16s, when in its infinite wisdom Land Rover decided to make the 2-speed transfer case optional as part of the Heavy Duty pack instead. So, if you are buying a MY14 (or later) LR4 without HD pack, you are giving up not only the LRD and a full-size spare, but also a transfer case equipped with low range, so that's suddenly a vitally important option - if you want to take your LR4 off-road.

Also, if we are going to split hair the full-time running LED lights and silly pop-up dial shifter thingie with steering wheel paddles were also introduced only on MY2014s (at least in North America), 2010-13 LR4s carry the same shifter as the the LR3's, and no running LEDs unless your low beams are also turned on.

WOW! This is more of the info I was looking for and I really do appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online