1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
did a little more putting around right near the house this weekend with the woman and the dog. nothing crazy, just a few miles and quite a bit of elevation.

I live somewhere down there.

Cold Springs and "White Lake" just up the road.

Jeep.

HARDCORE FLEX BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thanks guys,

There hasn't been a whole lot happening with the Wagoneer lately, I've just been trying to drive it when I have free time. I've probably hit the dirt more in the past 3 months that I have lived in Reno that the whole year prior. I've been going out most every weekend to just explore a little.

Most of my vehicle time has been spent fixing little things on the pickup and working on the Nova. Electric fans, some new rerouted fuel lines, and other stuff so its reliable in the heat now. I've put more miles on it in the last month than in the previous year I bet.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
Thanks guys,

There hasn't been a whole lot happening with the Wagoneer lately, I've just been trying to drive it when I have free time. I've probably hit the dirt more in the past 3 months that I have lived in Reno that the whole year prior. I've been going out most every weekend to just explore a little.

Most of my vehicle time has been spent fixing little things on the pickup and working on the Nova. Electric fans, some new rerouted fuel lines, and other stuff so its reliable in the heat now. I've put more miles on it in the last month than in the previous year I bet.

Needs this

https://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/client/images/l143505.jpg

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Jeep looking great as always - glad you're still having fun with it. Would hate to see you sell but I certainly understand why it makes sense sometimes. I can't imagine it'd bc something I could swing right now but I'd love to have one like it.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I just realized, Thursday was my 5 year anniversary with the jeep.

June 25th, 2010 I came home with this:
IMG_3307.jpg

5 years, several thousand miles, thousands of dollars, 16 stitches, a marriage, a new job, and a new city later, she's still with me.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I opened up the camper for the first time in like 9 months to survey the damage. We have had alot of rain lately and there was a little puddle inside and some moisture on one of the mattresses from when i opened it and it dripped lout of the canvas, but nothing terrible. The woodgrain on the side that was facing west while it was parked in the vegas sun for the last 9 months is totally destroyed and the paint is super faded (almost white, you can see where the color is different under the vinyl woodgrain). I peeled off the woodgrain so I can replace it in the next day or two.

I also made some repairs and reinforcements as needed. Beefed up the strength of a bed rail, sunk some more screws into the side wall under the seat to make it so the wall doesnt move when you lean against it, secured a corner of the stove that had disconnected from the counter top, sunk some deeper screws into the front corner to help hold everything together up there, added a screw to a weak part of the door hinge, and pumped a bunch f stuff full of liquid nails to help secure it.

All in all, very successful. The bed rail is now noticeably more secure and visibly less off camber, the beds slide in and out like BUTTER and don't interfere with each other, the side wall at the dining table is much ore study and doesnt flex, and the door clicks shut with zero effort as well.

Just need to replace the wood grain, put a charge on the battery, and refill my spare propane tank and it'll be ready for a little adventure this coming weekend perhaps?

justcuz

Explorer
I just remembered something!
My buddies Wagoneer had similar issues to you and found it was a venting issue with the fuel tank. I think he figured it out when he went to the gas station on a particularly hot day and got a vacuum release when he opened the cap. I think he either installed a vented gas cap or modified the cap to vent more vapor. It did fix his problem though.
In retrospect maybe his vapor recovery lines were plugged or his charcoal canister plugged up.
If you install a fuel injection system you will have pressure and return lines, which will probably eliminate your problem too.
My offer still stands on the Dana 44 Lock Right.
The Waggy looks great and they are seldom seen much anymore. I hope you decide to keep it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz