Yeah, I wound up buying 4 of them. Sold two and kept two. They are just too darn handy to get rid of. Plus, they aren’t making any more.
The last few A1’s that went through auction sold for $1650-$2700 after all fees were added in.
No, I had the exact same issue. I didn’t realize the drums wouldn’t work.
I just ordered a replacement axle with proper drums for mine because the spindle size on the original is for a 9k axle. So, the only replacement brake drum that fits it are over $500 each.
So, I did what everyone else...
As for a handle, if you have a torch, get a piece of 1” ID pipe, put it in a vice and heat up a 12” piece of 3/8 cold rolled rod at the 3” mark. Stick it in the pipe and bend it to 90 degrees. (Let it cool) then do the other side at 3”. There is a handle. Weld it to the side of your frame...
.250 wall 2x2 is about 5 1/2 lbs per foot, if I remember correctly. In this application I can’t see how it significantly strengthens anything.
Your trailer weight rests on the side of the frame where your springs attach and at the hitch. Your weak spot is the point where the box meets the...
Took the trailer out for a test run, working on the brakes, and the hitch worked great. The only time there was Any noise was on hard braking, but that’s to be expected since you have two hitch pins with a little bit of play in each one. The truck receiver and the trailer receiver. Way better...
I had a plan brewing for a 3axis hitch, then I saw Jeff Scherbs plan. Yeah, his is better, but I already started mine, so it’s 80% his And 20% my plan.
I used a 1.25” top pin from a 3 point hitch. I had to cut out the hitch since it only fits 1” shafts. Welded in a 1.25” bushing and a spacer...
Time to paint the trailer. I mixed a couple different colors to get what I wanted.
Painted all the reflector covers gloss black. I think it turned out well.
Also painted the light cover black. I think I need to paint the body too.
Add gratuitous Baby Groot sticker.
Now for brakes. I got electric with parking brake lever from eTrailer. Little over $220 I think.
Old bearings and races looked good. Replaced bearings anyway since I bought new ones.
Here is the part number in case you want to do the same.
Ok, time to work on the trailer again. Had one of my guys take a flap wheel to the whole thing to get the loose paint off it. I’m not about to do that. That is some nasty work. He used a paint respirator and still probably got cancer from the job.
I needed to head out to do an Antelope hunt in...
So, I want to build a rack to go over it to put a RTT on and to have mounting points for tools. Also a structure to throw a tarp over to keep things dry.
start with a 2x2x.125 angle iron base, spaced 1/4” off the wall of the trailer.
Weld it and round off sharp corners.
I’m using a JD2...