Mitsubishi L300 4WD

Fabricated a rear bumper this afternoon. Mock up:

dsc058895pxca.jpg

dsc05891mrzzz.jpg

Welded and cleaned up:

dsc05892wqavh.jpg

Painted:

dsc0589449aab.jpg

There`s an offroad event coming up this weekend, that`s why i`m going that crazy with building all that stuff that fast. I`ll also get a propane kit at the event...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice work on the rear bumber Steinez. I was just wondering if you are going to mount a swing away tire and jerry can mount on the bumper? :Wow1: Also, are you going to convert the Delicious to propane?:coffee:

Yes and yes. There will be a swing out, that carries the spare, two jerry cans, the hilift and a shovel. Also a removable mount for my skies...

And yes, i`ll convert it to run on propane. I`ll get the kit on saturday...

This was a long weekend... I picked up my new shocks on friday at lunch. At about 5pm i started lifting the van:

8868749nhw.jpg

8868830ztf.jpg

The lift was finished at about 11pm. Then we packed some stuff together, and catched about 3hours of sleep, before we started our trip to a german offroad event:

8868739bqv.jpg

8868741uwf.jpg

8868742nbe.jpg

8868743qjm.jpg

8868744doh.jpg

8868745nxg.jpg

8868746exr.jpg

8868747iuc.jpg

8868831aup.jpg

8868832uhx.jpg

8868833wzk.jpg

8868835mpr.jpg

8868837dcs.jpg

8868839sof.jpg

8868841dhh.jpg

There was a stock car race, where we made first place...

8868842cyu.jpg

8868843zly.jpg

8868874flu.jpg

This was an amazing weekend, i`ll upload some video and more pics later...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Good to see you out there with your Delicious van Steinez! Finally we get a chance to see what that vehicle can do. I love the way that the tires seem to hang freely in the air when the van gets into some serious 4by4! Too funny! Congratz on the win in the race. Seems like you guys are pretty happy. I hope there was serious beers after the race.:Wow1:

While driving offroad, i noticed how bad the approach angle is. I landed hard on the front bumper a few times, and also ripped the license plate off...

So i started with a new front bumper, to improve the approach angle a lot. Here is it with the stock bumper:

dsc06142yprwb.jpg

This is how i want it:

dsc0614173p9r.jpg

Then i removed the front bumper to see how i`m gonna built the new one:

dsc06146zfrnv.jpg

dsc061503npy9.jpg

There`s a lot of stuff that has to go...

I also did a quick sketch of the new bumper, but i`ll draw a few blueprints on photoshop soon:

dsc0615157pf8.jpg

I also started on a camera mount for my skis:

dsc06153hmq1a.jpg

dsc06154gdr8p.jpg

Attachments

• dsc06153hmq1a.jpg
    dsc06153hmq1a.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 10

4xdog

Explorer
I love the ambition of this project and the willingness to just jump right in. Good job!

Did you use a *serious* rust preventing paint like POR-15? It must be available in Germany, or at least an equivalent from someone like Würth. I think you're gonna need it...

Looking forward to your progress,

Don

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am looking forward to seeing the new bumper Steinez.:Wow1: From what I can see you will have to completely cut away the lower horizontal support bracket and rebuild it further back if you want the angle that you showed with the tape measure. Also, because you have so much weight up front in the Delicious van, you will have to be very selective about the materials that you use so that the vehicle does not become more nose heavy that it already is. I am sure you can handle the job. Just take your time and lets see what kind of great creation you come up with. cheers, Chilli.:)

Did you use a *serious* rust preventing paint like POR-15? It must be available in Germany, or at least an equivalent from someone like Würth. I think you're gonna need it...

Thanks. We can buy POR-15 here in germany, but i prefer a paint called "Brantho Korrux: 3in1". It`s similar to POR15 but the painting surface doesn`t have to be that clean. It`s a great product and works really well...
I am looking forward to seeing the new bumper Steinez.:Wow1: From what I can see you will have to completely cut away the lower horizontal support bracket and rebuild it further back if you want the angle that you showed with the tape measure. Also, because you have so much weight up front in the Delicious van, you will have to be very selective about the materials that you use so that the vehicle does not become more nose heavy that it already is. I am sure you can handle the job. Just take your time and lets see what kind of great creation you come up with. cheers, Chilli.:)

Hi, yes i`m planning on cutting all that stuff away and weld the new bumper directly to the frame, using some fishplates. Two of them will extend throught the bumper, creating some tow points. Sounds like a good plan, but i first have to check with the guys at the TÜV... :coffee:

mergen

A very nice example of family and friend cooperation and a very good restoration. Discovery should have put you on the tv. :clapsmile

Looking forward for your new photos.

It is very bad that we can not find these vehicles here.

Last edited:

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
Next time there is one of those off-road events, particularly where you will be racing, please PM me...not only would I love to attend, but I cheer pretty freaking loud.
Do you have any links to German off-road event schedules?

Love the build, it is turning out great

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles