off the beaten path coffee solutions

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I use a French press I bought at Starbucks a few years ago. It's heavy lexan and has stood up for 2 deployments so far.

But the original question, I have used a percolator for a few years so here is my take:

Use the proper grind for your coffee. Rough grind works better, 6-8 heaping tablespoons works great for me. I let it perk for about 15-20 minutes, but I like my brew dark and thick. Caned coffee never works for me in a percolator so I always use the fresh beans instead. But now I really like the French press, so the nasty looking percolator stays at home. Coat the outside of your percolator with dish detergent if you want it to stay looking pretty over a camp fire, it allows you to wipe the soot off.

michel

Observer
If going out for short stay I make espresso shots at home and fill a couple of nalgene bottles and store that in the fridge (i mean the off road fridge). Then on the trail we can have a latte or americano at will as quickly as it takes to heat up some water. For longer stay's I do the cone filter method as it I prefer that over all the others using a fine grind of espresso beans.

michel

squatter

Hard to beat a kelly kettle...............

IMGP1126.jpg

http://www.kellykettle.com/

off-roader

Expedition Leader
To quote my old Navy chief... "I like my coffee sweet & tan, the way I like my women".

That said, I usually just use one of the many 3 in 1 coffees commonly found in asian food stores that are prevalent here in Ca. They taste much better than the watered down General Foods International stuff.

My current favorite is...
G7-18-stick-3box-400.jpg (G7 3-in-1 coffee)... yes, G7 is the brand name. I don't know what it means/refers to.
:ylsmoke:

gj91

Probably a little late to this conversation but I seem to spend plenty-o-money on coffee and espresso stuff. If I can figure out how to bring an LP gas fired espresso machine and commercial grinder I would. But I can't.

I have had very good luck with the new Coava Kone screen and their Aeropress screen. The coava kone may not be the best because it needs the Chemex glass carafe. But they both make some kick *** coffee. If you need fresh ground coffee you can get the Hario hand grinder.

The aeropress is a very good coffee maker, it's not a press.

I have tried the moka pots but seems a little bitter to me.

http://coava.myshopify.com/collections/store

Honu

lost on the mainland
try a mypressi :) pretty incredible little device for espresso

my home machine is a Elektra A3 so kinda into the espresso thing and have tried most devices but again I am a espresso guy more than a coffee guy through

Probably a little late to this conversation but I seem to spend plenty-o-money on coffee and espresso stuff. If I can figure out how to bring an LP gas fired espresso machine and commercial grinder I would. But I can't.

I have had very good luck with the new Coava Kone screen and their Aeropress screen. The coava kone may not be the best because it needs the Chemex glass carafe. But they both make some kick *** coffee. If you need fresh ground coffee you can get the Hario hand grinder.

The aeropress is a very good coffee maker, it's not a press.

I have tried the moka pots but seems a little bitter to me.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

I use a Coava Kone and a Chemex at home - probably my favorite brewing method on the weekends. Too slow for the weekdays though - I don't get up early enough to go through the process.

In addition to the fact that it brews as perfect of a cup of coffee as you can get (at least in my opinion), I also like that the Kone (pronounced K-one) will last forever and that there is no trash generated (we dump our grounds in the garden). The fact that the filters are made in the USA, and that Coava is a small American owned business is icing on the cake.

:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

DylanT

Observer
Buddy of mine in the Marines used to eat Nescafe sachets all day in Iraq. Got him from one side of Fallujah to the other in one piece!

Pasquini Liva Auto espresso maker, and a 2000 watt generator

Yeah, that's the home unit (minus the generator...), weighs about as much as a Warn 9k winch.

and with that kind of coffee snobbery, I usually carry camping... canned espresso drink in my cooler. No muss, no fuss. No wait. No cleaning.

But when I do want it hot, these days I percolate in a stainless steel camp percolator on my backpack stove. Bring my own grinds, but don't mess with grinding on the trail. I've tried a few other options, and this one offers the best simplicity-to-quantity ratio. I usually put my own filter paper in the strainer.

I find those popular Italian stove top espresso makers to be woefully inadequate in the quantity department. I returned mine after one use. You need a giant model to give you two meager cups (read: drinking cup, not measured cup). I'm in diner mode when I camp; bottomless cup, please.

Vince1

Adventurer
I can't believe no one here uses the Aerobie Aeropress. Makes and unbelivable cup! So good, I use it at home. Combine it with their Aerolatte frother, and lattes in the field are a breeze. No power required. All fit in a small zip bag and clean up is simple. Percolator coffee is bitter. French Press coffee is unfiltered. This is the best system ever made IMHO. Get it if you like full flavored coffee or espresso. Around $30.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Yeah, that's the home unit (minus the generator...), weighs about as much as a Warn 9k winch.

and with that kind of coffee snobbery, I usually carry camping... canned espresso drink in my cooler. No muss, no fuss. No wait. No cleaning.

But when I do want it hot, these days I percolate in a stainless steel camp percolator on my backpack stove. Bring my own grinds, but don't mess with grinding on the trail. I've tried a few other options, and this one offers the best simplicity-to-quantity ratio. I usually put my own filter paper in the strainer.

I find those popular Italian stove top espresso makers to be woefully inadequate in the quantity department. I returned mine after one use. You need a giant model to give you two meager cups (read: drinking cup, not measured cup). I'm in diner mode when I camp; bottomless cup, please.

I have a pasquini livia sitting out in the garage :) upgraded to a Elektra A3 a few years back
I would need to do a once over on my Pasquini cause its been siting :)
but had thought about putting it in my trailer and running it off my honda 2000 :)

I use a MyPressi though instead :) but would be fun with group camping where I could supply the morning shots and trade them for food :)

I have a pasquini livia sitting out in the garage :) upgraded to a Elektra A3 a few years back

Man, that's a nice machine! I chose Pasquini because Mr. Pasquini himself has his shop in my back yard, so to speak. It was an upgrade from a $90 plastic consumer model.

I'll start taking it camping when I get a giant RV...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier