Advantages of Front-Mounted Ice Chest

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
I see a lot of trailers with the ice chest mounted in front of the trailer on the tongue. What are the advantages of this arrangement over putting the ice chest inside the trailer?

Thanks,

kai38

Explorer
I've wondered myself. Everything I've put there ends up dirty, or muddy from the rear tires of the tow vehicle.

orangeTJ

Explorer
Ice may last longer with cooler in the trailer since the since isn't baking it.

Protection from the elements too, as mentioned above.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
As mentioned the tongue is not an ideal place for anything you don't want to get dirty. But trailers are like back packs, no matter how large or small they are they are always full. So it may be just a matter of space, and deciding what do I put on the tongue that is fairly impervious to damage and can easily be cleaned. Better a cooler than a fridge.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Space one major factor, loading is the other. Sometimes it is necessary to balance the trailer out by mounting the cooler on the tongue.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
To me the only reason to put a cooler on the tongue would be convenience, period. With a longer platform up front you might be able to fit one behind a tongue box for some protection from road debris, but I feel that a cooler or fridge is alway better off (and more efficient) if kept inside or under cover.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
Easier for the bears to get into and would probably keep you from being able to camp in areas where they have food storage restrictions.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Easier for the bears to get into and would probably keep you from being able to camp in areas where they have food storage restrictions.

Yeti and a few select companies make coolers that are "bear-proof", and keeping food inside any vehicle or trailer in known bear country is a recipe for disaster.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
You will get a ticket in Yellowstone, for example, for having a cooler outside your vehicle. I have an Engle fridge inside my FJ and before that inside a D90 and never had any problems in bear country, but the fridge doesn't really look like a cooler.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I see a lot of trailers with the ice chest mounted in front of the trailer on the tongue. What are the advantages of this arrangement over putting the ice chest inside the trailer?

Thanks,
Shorter distance from the driver door to the ice chest and quicker access to get that first beer after a hot, long and dusty drive :elkgrin:

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
You will get a ticket in Yellowstone, for example, for having a cooler outside your vehicle. I have an Engle fridge inside my FJ and before that inside a D90 and never had any problems in bear country, but the fridge doesn't really look like a cooler.

Good point. And I enjoy Yellowstone off-season.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Mount it on the tow rig!

When I vacation in Kitty hawk NC, I see the beach fishers driving around with their coolers mounted on the front of their trucks with the fishing poles inserted.
Cool looking item!

Attachments

• 120qt.jpg
    120qt.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles