1993 BMW EML Sidecar R100 Paris Dakar Enduro Sidecar Rig- EML

bmweuro

I built this sidecar rig in 1993 and in the next 8 years it went through a few different looks until it is what you see in the pictures. It sat from 2000 until March of this year when I decided to ride it again. I wanted it to look good and be even better in the dirt. I made a new front swing arm, changed the sidecar suspension, lengthened the sidecar body for more storage space and room for two, repainted the tank and sidecar, 3 new tires, rebuilt the top end of the motor, replaced the clutch disc, and the list for maintenance items is very long. In April took a 2400 mile trip trouble free with lots of fun in the dirt. Read all of the info below and look at the pictures closely. There has been a lot done for comfort and reliability. I have been building and restoring BMW motorcycles and doing metal fabrication and design for 25 years.

$15,000 OBO
Partial trades considered
Body:
BMW R100 Paris Dakar 9 gallon tank
81 R100 seat & rear fender

Frame:
Main bike from is made in Holland along with the fork down tubes by EML. Everything else was custom fabricated.

sidecar:
The frame is copied from an EML.
The body is a Chinese cope of a Ural that I cut a part and lengthened in the back.
It is set up for 2 seats in tandem but not installed.
Custom front rack/driving light mount.
Plenty of travel for off roading and set up with a Koni shock.
New tonneaucover.
sidecar has a door and roll bar.

Suspension:
Front swing arm is custom built.Koni shocks.
Huge K1100 4 piston calipers with new floating discs and Spiegler custom braided brake lines.
Rear swing arm started as a stock BMW and modified for a single shock and a 175/15 rear tire. Works Performance rear shock.
The side car suspension is custom built and uses a Koni shock.

Wheels & Tires:
Front- 15" EML wheel with a Michelin 175R75/15 Mud and Snow tire.
Rear- Centerline 15" aluminum car rim modified to a BMW drum brake hubs with special brake lining and 4 rear sealed wheel bearing to take a trimendous load. Michelin 175R75/15 Mud and Snow tire.

Sidecar- 15" Centerline aluminum wheel with a Michelin 175R75/15 Mud and Snow tire.

All three tires are the same.

Motor:
1991 BMW R100GS with large valve 1980 heads and 40mm Bing carbs. Top end is new along with new Stainless headers and Y pipe.
Transmission:
Mid 90's 5 speed with modified shift plate for smooth shifting. New clutch plate.

Charging system:
90 amp Delco alternator belt driven off of the crank. New group 42(?) automotive battery

Lighting:
3 large Hella Rally lights and the bike has 2 R65 headlights. Total lighting output is around 500 watts-That's a lot of light.

Luggage:
New Hepco & Becker 30 liter and 40 liter Xplorer saddlebags and 45 liter top case(1400.00 value)

The little things:
Custom toe mud guards under the cylinders.
Windscreen
Heated grips
Clock
volt meter
European headlight switch
Custom tach and speedo faces
No turn signals-wiring is there
Stock 95 BMW wire harness
Update K100 coil w/ custom bracket
Comes with spare parts and sidecar jack.
Oil cooler
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
Custom rear brake pedal
Passenger pegs
Partially set up for auxiliary fuel tank.

Many extra parts included.

I have ridden this all the way to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. There is no way to have this much fun on 3 wheels in the dirt! All of the upgrades where done for reliability and strength.

4520965525_47f8011a74.jpg

4521588584_37fe33f121.jpg

4520963833_4d67fd8a06_b.jpg

More pictures here.
Sidecar pictures
and
more pictures

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Calling Pat, Pat Bonish, you're sidecar rig is ready!

HAHA!! jim, I drooled all over this at the EXPO and saw it the day it was posted on here. I've been trying to talk Cindy into it, but unless I could sell the camper, I doubt I could afford this right now :(

Oh, not to hi-jack the thread, but we were packing the truck for the U.P. Overland trip and I found the CD with the photos under my seat from when you visited.

Dropped it in the mail yesterday. Sorry that took so long, I thought I mailed it out months ago.

Now, anyone want to loan me some money so we can travel the globe in this sweet sidecar rig??? Any investors trying to get their company name some exposure? We're your ticket :)

bmweuro

Sorry for the late replies everyone. It is still for sale. I might be willing to trade for an R1150GS plus cash?

ginericLC

Adventurer
I wasn't in the market but this caught my attention and I just wanted to let you know it looks like a very unique and quality built bike. Congrats on your sale!

bmweuro

Sorry for all of the late replies. The new owner is super happy with the rig. It was the funnest sale I have ever had. We swapped stories and drink beer:)

I assume this has been sold?

If not, message me at dls@alum.calberkeley.org

I built this sidecar rig in 1993 and in the next 8 years it went through a few different looks until it is what you see in the pictures. It sat from 2000 until March of this year when I decided to ride it again. I wanted it to look good and be even better in the dirt. I made a new front swing arm, changed the sidecar suspension, lengthened the sidecar body for more storage space and room for two, repainted the tank and sidecar, 3 new tires, rebuilt the top end of the motor, replaced the clutch disc, and the list for maintenance items is very long. In April took a 2400 mile trip trouble free with lots of fun in the dirt. Read all of the info below and look at the pictures closely. There has been a lot done for comfort and reliability. I have been building and restoring BMW motorcycles and doing metal fabrication and design for 25 years.

$15,000 OBO
Partial trades considered
Body:
BMW R100 Paris Dakar 9 gallon tank
81 R100 seat & rear fender

Frame:
Main bike from is made in Holland along with the fork down tubes by EML. Everything else was custom fabricated.

sidecar:
The frame is copied from an EML.
The body is a Chinese cope of a Ural that I cut a part and lengthened in the back.
It is set up for 2 seats in tandem but not installed.
Custom front rack/driving light mount.
Plenty of travel for off roading and set up with a Koni shock.
New tonneaucover.
sidecar has a door and roll bar.

Suspension:
Front swing arm is custom built.Koni shocks.
Huge K1100 4 piston calipers with new floating discs and Spiegler custom braided brake lines.
Rear swing arm started as a stock BMW and modified for a single shock and a 175/15 rear tire. Works Performance rear shock.
The side car suspension is custom built and uses a Koni shock.

Wheels & Tires:
Front- 15" EML wheel with a Michelin 175R75/15 Mud and Snow tire.
Rear- Centerline 15" aluminum car rim modified to a BMW drum brake hubs with special brake lining and 4 rear sealed wheel bearing to take a trimendous load. Michelin 175R75/15 Mud and Snow tire.

Sidecar- 15" Centerline aluminum wheel with a Michelin 175R75/15 Mud and Snow tire.

All three tires are the same.

Motor:
1991 BMW R100GS with large valve 1980 heads and 40mm Bing carbs. Top end is new along with new Stainless headers and Y pipe.
Transmission:
Mid 90's 5 speed with modified shift plate for smooth shifting. New clutch plate.

Charging system:
90 amp Delco alternator belt driven off of the crank. New group 42(?) automotive battery

Lighting:
3 large Hella Rally lights and the bike has 2 R65 headlights. Total lighting output is around 500 watts-That's a lot of light.

Luggage:
New Hepco & Becker 30 liter and 40 liter Xplorer saddlebags and 45 liter top case(1400.00 value)

The little things:
Custom toe mud guards under the cylinders.
Windscreen
Heated grips
Clock
volt meter
European headlight switch
Custom tach and speedo faces
No turn signals-wiring is there
Stock 95 BMW wire harness
Update K100 coil w/ custom bracket
Comes with spare parts and sidecar jack.
Oil cooler
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
Custom rear brake pedal
Passenger pegs
Partially set up for auxiliary fuel tank.

Many extra parts included.

I have ridden this all the way to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. There is no way to have this much fun on 3 wheels in the dirt! All of the upgrades where done for reliability and strength.

4520965525_47f8011a74.jpg

4521588584_37fe33f121.jpg

4520963833_4d67fd8a06_b.jpg

More pictures here.
Sidecar pictures
and
more pictures

howell_jd

Adventurer
What a great way to an introduction! Welcome to the Portal. Which one are you in the photo? Just kidding, just kidding...Looks like a blast.

Jonathan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles