Trasharoo with no Tire Carrier?

Box Rocket

Is anyone using a Trasharoo without a tire carrier? Specifically I'm looking for solutions for using one with a Tacoma with the spare in the stock location. I use my Trasharoo on my 80 Series LC which has a rear tire carrier but I do not have a rear swingout/spare tire on my Tacoma but would like to find a decent solution for how I can use the Trasharoo on the Tacoma.

I have heard of some people strapping it around the tailgate, but I've tried. It could work but with my rear bumper and my topper it isn't very practical.

Any other ideas? Pics would be great too.

Box Rocket

http://www.trasharoo.com/iWeb/TRASHAROO /Uses.html

Photo here shows trasharoo on a truck with a shell and looks fine..

Yep, I've seen that. Like I mentioned in my first post I know people have strapped them to tailgates. My particular rear bumper makes has some interference problems with the buckles on the straps making it difficult to even get it on the tailgate and also get it to be tight. Not to mention the issue of the Trasharoo damaging the paint on the tailgate.

Thanks for the link regardless.

Anyone else have other suggestions/ideas?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Adam, if you get a chance.. can you post a photo of the rear of your rig so we can get an idea on how to help you?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Got a double cab with nothing special to do with the back seat?

InsideTrasharoo.jpg

The straps will hold well hooked behind the rear seatback.

Admittedly better if you wanted the 'Roos for storage rather than trail trash pickup, though.

Box Rocket

Adam, if you get a chance.. can you post a photo of the rear of your rig so we can get an idea on how to help you?

_MG_1922.jpg

My issue with my bumper is that the main section of the bumper doesn't allow a large enough gap between the bumper and the tailgate for the buckles to fit, and the buckles end up right at that gap unless I leave them much too loose.

Mike, that's a great solution for gear, but I have the gear storage and don't really want the stinky stuff inside the truck. Thanks for the suggestion.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If you envision using the TRoo often on the back of your truck, what about putting a couple of wide footman loops on the bottom or event the face of your bumper? Painted black they would easily blend in and your could either drill/tap or use a self tapping screw? Would that offset the buckles enough and provide a tighter mount too?

I'm thinking something like this:
rn_footman.jpg

The only downside is you would have to loop everything through it and then re-assemble on the buckle?

Box Rocket

If you envision using the TRoo often on the back of your truck, what about putting a couple of wide footman loops on the bottom or event the face of your bumper? Painted black they would easily blend in and your could either drill/tap or use a self tapping screw? Would that offset the buckles enough and provide a tighter mount too?

I'm thinking something like this:
rn_footman.jpg

The only downside is you would have to loop everything through it and then re-assemble on the buckle?

Not a bad idea. I had been meaning to call or PM you Kurt to ask you if you are using a Trasharoo very often in your Tacoma and how you're mounting it or where you keep it. If I have to strap mine to the tailgate, some footman loops are probably the best option I've heard so far.

Thanks. I'm still open to more ideas if anyone has them.

Project510

Adventurer
Yep, I've seen that. Like I mentioned in my first post I know people have strapped them to tailgates. My particular rear bumper makes has some interference problems with the buckles on the straps making it difficult to even get it on the tailgate and also get it to be tight. Not to mention the issue of the Trasharoo damaging the paint on the tailgate.

Thanks for the link regardless.

Anyone else have other suggestions/ideas?

Sorry, I must have read it wrong as I thought you were just unsure about the fit. Now that I see your photo, I know what talking about. Are the straps long enough to go around the bumper? I know when I open my tailgate there is a gap fairly large as I have dropped ratcheting straps through there.

The other idea mentioned above looks like a great idea, and if you decide to change locations later, those hooks can be used for other things as well.

EDIT: After searching it looks liek the straps cant be extended qite a bit.. lol

DCP_8538.jpg

Box Rocket

Hadn't thought about going all the way around the bumper. Maybe I'll try that. Only downside really is the potential damage to the paint on the tailgate.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I mount my Trasharoo to the side of my rack. TACODOC had great idea of making an internal frame from PVC pipe. I literally just finished making the frame and test fitting it to the rack. Works great. Will test drive tomorrow at freeway speeds and take some photos. Too dark to do so now.

TRACTION

Adventurer
Here is how I run my Trasharoo. The key being that I'm able to fit the buckles between the tailgate and the bed and then tighten the straps accordingly. At first it was a pain to get the straps the right length but now it's just right so it's fairly easy to put on. It does get a little dusty but other than that it's great. I'm not too worried about scratching the paint since my rig is white and it doesn't show much. The 3M protective material that an earlier poster mention would solve that though.

1245256236_tsHFX-L.jpg

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
The frame made from PVC pipe.
DSCN0630.jpg

Two angles of the front.
DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

The backside with temporary attachment.
DSCN0629.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads