OzWagon - My HZ75 series Troopie

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Well here she is, old but new to me and with a bit of work required but all in all it should be a fun rig.

ozwagon-2.jpg

ozwagon-1.jpg

I am going to try and pace myself a bit on this one....first thing is to take care of some of the original owners stuff like de-stickering it.
Then I plan to enlist Travis of Safari Pacific to help me install 4 bucket seats.
Then of course a fridge is a survival item here in the desert southwest.
And then we will see what I NEED vs what I WANT.

Oh and this rig will be staying here in the US with my older son Nathan when we move to Australia next year. But at least this way I get to practice shifting with my left hand :)

1leglance

Yep this is the Miami one...
He was a great guy to deal with, picked me up from the airport and met his family.
He came down on the price, fitted new tires that I chose, and even did an oil change before my drive back to Phx.
Also he agreed to order some replacement parts which will help with some things that need done.

I averaged 17.5mpg all the way back to Phx on the hiway, now to see what city/trail driving does for me.

All in all the family likes it and already 1 night camped, last night at a Boy Scout Campout (I tried it out vs a ground tent).

1HZ non-turbo inline 6 (I wanted dead simple)
HF55 (I think) 5 speed
Limited Slip rear
2 90L factory fuel tanks with 2 doors so I can keep a clean tank when in mexico, I love the factory second gauge
dual battery setup already but I don't like the look of it so I expect to go National Luna from the cool folks at Equipt.

I will snap more pics tomorrow at Safari Pacific.

It ain't perfect but it sure is fun to drive....
Of course now I have to learn to drive a manual on the trail....fun for the guy with a fake leg :)

Klierslc

Explorer
Yep this is the Miami one...
He was a great guy to deal with, picked me up from the airport and met his family.
He came down on the price, fitted new tires that I chose, and even did an oil change before my drive back to Phx.
Also he agreed to order some replacement parts which will help with some things that need done.

I averaged 17.5mpg all the way back to Phx on the hiway, now to see what city/trail driving does for me.

All in all the family likes it and already 1 night camped, last night at a Boy Scout Campout (I tried it out vs a ground tent).

1HZ non-turbo inline 6 (I wanted dead simple)
HF55 (I think) 5 speed
Limited Slip rear
2 90L factory fuel tanks with 2 doors so I can keep a clean tank when in mexico, I love the factory second gauge
dual battery setup already but I don't like the look of it so I expect to go National Luna from the cool folks at Equipt.

I will snap more pics tomorrow at Safari Pacific.

It ain't perfect but it sure is fun to drive....
Of course now I have to learn to drive a manual on the trail....fun for the guy with a fake leg :)

Nice!

I was wondering how easy it is to shift with the fake leg? Any issues in normal driving?

1leglance

Kliersic the fake leg works pretty well on the clutch, of course I have not been off road yet so we will see how that goes.

cweight it is a 1994...I love your build and will be stealing a number of your ideas, thanks in advance :)

First day of the build....and before I get to the photos I gotta say that working with Travis of Safari Pacific is a hoot...of course he is a friend but this is a paying gig. Now that means that I get to toss in my ideas and he gets to tell me when I am flying off the deep end :)

I have always said that one of the first thing I would do with any new rig would be a fridge, and true to my word here is my National Luna from Equipt trying out a possible location.
ozwagon-3.jpg

Next on the list was yanking the very old & tired factory seats and start figuring out where & how to install 4 new bucket seats.
ozwagon-4.jpg

Here is Travis testing out backseat height, of course it will be forward facing.
ozwagon-5.jpg

Next is testing out the front seat setup.
ozwagon-6.jpg

Once Travis had all his measurements down it was quick & easy for him to work out the materials list and have a design worked out.

That meant it was time for me to get home and start on some interior teardown and cleaning.
There is a bunch of room to work with and before I fill it up I am thinking of some insulation/sound deadening layers....any thoughts/experiences out there???
ozwagon-8.jpg

Actually pretty clean under the floor mats and other than some surface rust all is well.
ozwagon-9.jpg

ozwagon-10.jpg

Look at all that space to work with inside the walls & doors.
ozwagon-14.jpg

ozwagon-7.jpg

It is always good to get the family involved and here is my son Martin lending a hand.
ozwagon-13.jpg

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That looks like a great project to fallow. I was waiting to see that show up on here. Concrats! You can never get to many troopy builds!

lowenbrau

Explorer
Many 70 series have a "fake leg friendly" clutch booster which is effectively the same device that powers your power brakes.

I love 70 series Cruisers. Virtually unchanged in 27 years, they are now Toyota's longest running model. The Troopie version is the overland pinnacle.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
That meant it was time for me to get home and start on some interior teardown and cleaning.
There is a bunch of room to work with and before I fill it up I am thinking of some insulation/sound deadening layers....any thoughts/experiences out there???

I have tried the Herculiner roll in stuff, I DON'T recommend it. I spent tons of time in the prep and it still flaked off and it takes a huge amount of it to build up to a good thickness. I do like the heat/noise insulation that has the foil on both sides of the insulation, (such as this)- http://www.midwestfabrics.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=573

I used it in an old Ramcharger project and it worked great with decreasing heat and noise. Then I covered that with a good vehicle carpet. Some people like the rubber mat but I like the carpet, it looks good, works as insulation and is comfortable if you plan on sleeping in the rig.

lowenbrau

Explorer
^ what he said^

I've shot (never rolled) various DIY beadliners and some of them are better than others but all of them pale when compared to the professionally applied versions.

I've used that foil bubble stuff (go get it at the lumberyard) and it holds up surprising well even when uncovered. It is cheap, easy to use and completely reversible. It seems like a no brainer under factory carpet if you ever happen to have it out.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
If you come home from OZ and the Troupie's gone and your son's tied up in the garage........ I had nothing to do with it......... :D

What an awesome truck you got yourself mate. Where in Australia are you moving??? Having lived there myself, your making me miss my 2nd home ALOT right now eh...

Cheers

Dave

1leglance

Bill & Brau, thanks for the info...
Socal the hotrod shop is right around the corner and they really like the Lizard stuff which is a ceramic roll on insulator and then you apply the sound deadener layer.

I have used FatMat which is like Dynamat in the past and it worked well as it is the tar type stuff with a foil layer.
I also know there is version that sells at Home Depot but no experience with that.

Today Travis got a bunch of work done on the seat frames but I forgot my camera, when I get back over there in the am I will snap more pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles