Taco Regearing cost?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree, good choice with 4.88s.

Also like your 235/85 tire size, they should help with MPG a bit.

Some of us like vanilla. "Extra vanilla" is almost like having vanilla fudge :)

snip...

I changed from 4.10 (stock) to 4.88.

I think the 4.56 option would have been a negligible improvement.

Last edited:

Newtac11

Observer
I saw your truck at Jeds recently. It looked nice.

Not to derail, but I just saw it today myself. It gave me ideas I don't think my wife would approve of....

Back to topic...do you think the power band would remain close to stock with 265's instead of 235's using the 4.88's, or would I need to go down to 5....somethings?

NothingClever

Explorer
I'm no expert but I think you'll be fine.

My 235s don't seem that much larger than 265s.

When you get into the 5s, I think you're starting to get into ratios better suited for mild rock crawling.

Again, I'm no expert and have relied on Jed to help me make decisions. His advice was that getting into the 5s would compromise the interstate "application" of the truck.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Correct, the difference between most 265/75 and 235/85 is a few tenths of an inch, hardly enough to be concerned about. There are some 265s that are as tall or taller than some 235s, just depends on the tire.

Snip...

My 235s don't seem that much larger than 265s.
Snip....

farrdg

Not to derail, but I just saw it today myself. It gave me ideas I don't think my wife would approve of....

Back to topic...do you think the power band would remain close to stock with 265's instead of 235's using the 4.88's, or would I need to go down to 5....somethings?
I have an 08 Taco, TRD Off-Road, 4 door, Automatic. I really like my 265x75x16's. I pull an off-road, pop up tent trailer with it and the Stock gears work just fine. I breached this subject at Marlin crawlers and the thought was better to invest in headers and a good exhaust and intake so that the engine would be at its best. Now if I were going up to 255x85x16's then I would consider the gears. Old Sven has a Supercharged 4 Runner that is very well built and I believe that he is going back to 265's as well. Mine is a daily driver and I'll probably jump to 285x70x17's at some point, but think that I'll put a crawler box in for the low gears that I want and stick with the stock gears for the highway. Have to see once I make the jump. For now its fine with the 265's and very little change to the power band.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Just a slight deviation from topic, but anyone have the idea on cost if you are happy enough with gears, but wanted to install an ARB air locker in the rear only.

Would the cost be the same (labor wise) as if switching gears, or would it be less if they were just putting in the locker?

For me, this is purely research and theoretical as I don't have anything to lock right now anyway, but am in the market, and if I find the right truck but minus the locker option I want (loved having it on my '04 Taco) curious about how much above and beyond the cost of the unit itself adding a locker would cost.

Or would sourcing a stock 3rd member with locker in it be the cheaper way to go?

Thanks.

NothingClever

Explorer

Thanks Sovereign, that's a really useful link.

With my R150F manual transmission, 4.88 re-gear and 235/85/16 tires, the outlook for highway travelling is:

4th gear @ 3,618 RPMs = 70mph
5th gear @ 3,039 RPMs = 70mph

Given that I have a FWC camper on the back, 70-75mph should be plenty fast and downshifting to 4th gear for highway inclines still has me in the supple part of the power band.

Lower gears? All gravy for challenging forest service roads and dirt/paved mountain passes.

Glorybigs

Adventurer
Thanks Sovereign, that's a really useful link.

With my R150F manual transmission, 4.88 re-gear and 235/85/16 tires, the outlook for highway travelling is:

4th gear @ 3,618 RPMs = 70mph
5th gear @ 3,039 RPMs = 70mph

Given that I have a FWC camper on the back, 70-75mph should be plenty fast and downshifting to 4th gear for highway inclines still has me in the supple part of the power band.

Lower gears? All gravy for challenging forest service roads and dirt/paved mountain passes.

That is a great link, but I am having trouble researching what tranny I have.
Where is the best source to find Toyota Trans model numbers?
07' Tacoma 4x4 5 speed automatic

NothingClever

Explorer
Jed has had some time to work on my truck again.

The Alcan springs arrived just last week, and we installed them on Monday. We also completed the initial front & rear gear break-in procedure for you. I checked both differentials at the upper pinion bearing after the break-in with an infrared digital temperature gauge, and both diffs were in the ideal temp range (the gears/bearings run exceedingly hot initially, especially if care is not taken to break them in correctly).

<deleted notes on suspension work>

On another bright note: I am very pleased with the new gearing. The 4.88's made a significant improvement with the handling/acceleration. The vehicle pulls the load much easier now, accelerates nicely, and allows for much quicker clutch engagement from a stopped position.

Trail100

Observer
That is a great link, but I am having trouble researching what tranny I have.
Where is the best source to find Toyota Trans model numbers?
07' Tacoma 4x4 5 speed automatic

On your door VIN sticker at the bottom the transmission in your vehicle is listed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles