Slow build of the 4runner

digitalferg

Adventurer
Cool. I am actually digging them. Color is great with your green. They're prob a better fit on your runner than the 80s wheels woulda been. The backspacing and width of the 80 wheels isn't ideal on the runner.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
One thing you may notice is that the 2nd Gen Tacoma wheels have 5.25" - 5.5" backspacing (depending on trim), and the 3rd Gen 4Runner wheels have 4.625" backspacing. So the wheels will be ~.75" - 1" pushed in further than your 3rd Gen wheels. I don't think it will be an issue, unless you start running wide 33's.

CYi5

Explorer
One thing you may notice is that the 2nd Gen Tacoma wheels have 5.25" - 5.5" backspacing (depending on trim), and the 3rd Gen 4Runner wheels have 4.625" backspacing. So the wheels will be ~.75" - 1" pushed in further than your 3rd Gen wheels. I don't think it will be an issue, unless you start running wide 33's.

There is a different feeling with them being sucked in as well, I experienced it when I ran 05+ rims for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if you found your way back to LC rims in the future. How are you liking those Yokos? Looking at AT options for next tire.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
There is a different feeling with them being sucked in as well, I experienced it when I ran 05+ rims for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if you found your way back to LC rims in the future. How are you liking those Yokos? Looking at AT options for next tire.

I really haven't felt a difference with them yet.

I like the Yokohoma's. This the the 3rd set I've run. They held up well to sand and jagged rocks in the Souther Arizona and have done good so far in the mud and snow.

Box Rocket

with the higher backspacing, you could run some wheel spacers to push them back out a little if you decided you didn't like it.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Ball Joint Failure - My Turn

For the past couple of days my 4runner has had a weird feel while driving and felt like there was tension on the steering wheel (wanted to pull right). I had looked underneath at everything and nothing seemed to be out of line.

Well, this morning I ran to store to pick something up before work and rememberd that I had forgot my check book at home and decided to run home and get it. At one spot in the road near an intersection there is a storm drainage ditch/dip in the road. I slowed down to about 10-15 mph, and fast than that and you'll scrap/bottom out. Right after I pass this the drivers side front end dives and I hear this scrapping/grindding sound. I drive a little more to get my self out of the intersection and get out to see what happens.

When I get out and look I just bust out laughing (I just couldn't help myself in this stituation and the person walking out to their car probable thought I had lost my mind) as the driver's side front wheel is not partially under my 4runner. Luckily, the slider prevented it from going any further under. So I made a few calls and after an hour and half the tow truck finally comes and gets me.

While waiting for the truck a few stop and ask if I'm okay and a few I just shot the breeze with for a little bit. Heck, someone even took a photo themselves.

So now my 4runner is at the Toyota dealership (they replaced the lower control arms a few months back) and I'm in a rental Chevy Avero. I'm also talking with my insurance too see if they will cover anything. I doubt it but I'm hopefully.

Thankfully, this took place on a side road and not on the highway or out on the trail somewhere.

So anyways here are the photo's:

What's that white line on the road and why is the vehicle slanting to one side
IMG_0214.jpg

Well, that can't be good
IMG_0217.jpg

Well, there's your problem
IMG_0210.jpg

Anyone care to guess what the estimated repair bill is??

CYi5

Explorer
I hope whoever it was that just started a thread seeking opinions on replacing his LBJ sees this. From what it looked like, the majority of people voted against him replacing them. Fools. Sorry to see another one bite the dust man.

Last edited:

Wanderlusty

Explorer
This is the second time I have seen this specific to the 4Runner. Is this something that is kind of a known issue here, or just fluke incidences? Also, how many miles were on yours when they failed. The other one I saw in person, I believe it was a higher mileage truck.

What is the reccomended lifespan of the ball joints?

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
This is the second time I have seen this specific to the 4Runner. Is this something that is kind of a known issue here, or just fluke incidences? Also, how many miles were on yours when they failed. The other one I saw in person, I believe it was a higher mileage truck.

What is the reccomended lifespan of the ball joints?

I have about 145k on my 4runner.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I have about 145k on my 4runner.

Ok, thanks. I think the one that I saw happen in person had closer to 200K. But, I was curious since I am shopping for a 3rd gen, and the only vehicle I have ever seen bust a ball joint in such a spectacular fashion was a 3rd gen, and now this makes two. But thinking this is mere coincidence rather than a problem with the model.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Sorry to see this T.
I'm glad I replaced mine ball joints last year. I still think that was extremely early for them to fail. What's the history of the truck? Did you ever see a rip in either boot?

You mentioned the dealership replaced the lower control arm. I think that is suspect. Some hacks will pound on the balljoints to get them to come loose instead of using a air hammer on the arm to get it to vibrate loose. I'd call that dealership and expect them to explain why a part they touched failed so soon after their work.

laxtoy

Adventurer
wow, i think as was mentioned before, i'd have some words with the dealership who replaced the lower control arm. as was also mentioned, lucky you weren't out on the trail somewhere, would have been a potentially dangerous situation, or equally, not going 60 on the highway, considering either of those, you could have a much higher repair bill. i think that the 01-04 taco's had a lower ball joint recal, not exact on years, but i wonder if there was ever any for similar year 4runners? might ask the dealer, see if you can get both sides done on their dime. i just did my uppers and lowers about 5000 miles ago, don't think i really needed them, but with 180,000 on the odo, seemed like a good maintenance item

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
History, on it. When I bought it had 94,xxx miles on it had 4 previous owners and when I got it I replaced a few front end parts. I'm going to talk to dealership again about it.

It's kind of funny my old 96 I beat on it pretty well in Arizona and didn't have near the number of problems that I've had this one.

Ya, I glad it happened now and not when I'm down in SE Utah at the end of next month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles