Our '05 LJ Rubicon

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm happy with the 5.13's. With the 35" (315's) tires, I'm about 8% under drive from the factory 4.10's and 245's. Might be a bit steep for 33's (305's), I lagged on getting it regeared, suffered through two sets of 305's and 4.10's.

We're camped out at Parker, AZ right now, waiting for the Parker 425 to start. I'm covering the main pit for Dust Junkies Racing, Jeepspeed 1706 car.
Bacon frying on the camp stove, perfect weather, life is good!

bob91yj

Resident **************
parker4252011017.jpg

Sunrise in Parker.
parker4252011022.jpg

DJR Main Pit

parker4252011006.jpg

One of the truck.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Tough day for Dust Junkies Racing. We went from 9th staring spot to first on the course in the first 40 miles. Lost the rear sway bar. Steering the car at speed was like herding cats, hit a berm, broke the Pitman arm and a heim on the drag link. Booger welded everything back together using batteries and a stick welder. Made it to the next pit where replacement parts were installed. We still finished in the top 10.

bob91yj

Resident **************
When we first bought the LJ, it was my wifes daily driver, making the decision to go with the automatic easy for us. My YJ rock crawler is a manual trans. I prefer the manual transmission off road/in the rocks, but for our overall use of the LJ, the auto has served us well.

Time to start figuring out the logistics for our Death Valley trip coming up President's Day weekend. Looking forward to some dirt camping in the sticks.

Oh, and about the Warrior rack. It's heavy, has NO tie down locations built in to it, and I can't open the tail gate when it's on the Jeep.

Like I said, it does what I need it to do, so I shouldn't complain too much. I had to re-drill the hitch portion to get it to clear the spare tire. I mounted 5/16" eyebolts along the top rail to solve the lack of tie downs (who builds a rack with no tie down holes?). The weight and the lack of access are obviously inherent, not much I can do about either of those issues.

Overall I'm happy with the bumps. They are NOT a simple install. I had the crew chief on our Jeepspeed car do the install. He ended up compeltely changing the front upper shock mounts. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone coil over and been done with it.

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
Overall I'm happy with the bumps. They are NOT a simple install. I had the crew chief on our Jeepspeed car do the install. He ended up compeltely changing the front upper shock mounts. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone coil over and been done with it.

If you look at the stock LJ bumpstops it would seem like the universal Air Bumps should fit easy at first. I have been considering them for a few years and have not installed them because I could see it being harder getting them right than it looks.:ylsmoke:

Now that a couple kits are out I was thinking great, until I saw the price..:Wow1:.

I have never used Air bumps and wondered if you can feel initial contact and does that make any noise? my LJ would be touching them often.

I have to admit silver was my first color choice..:).....

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Very nice LJ! Seems more and more nicely done 1st generation Unlimiteds are popping up on the Portal as of late.

I have to admit silver was my first color choice..:).....

When we picked ours up I wasn't real wild about it being silver. But after all the winters and trail rides the silver paint sure has aided with hiding road grime and pinstripping.

trust

Adventurer
love your LJ, I was hoping to get one when I bought my scrambler but the cost diff was just to great to overcome

maybe some day

bob91yj

Resident **************
Thanks, I wanted a CJ-6, actually had a line on one when the Unlimited's came out. I waited a year to get the Rubicon version. I forgot all about wanting a CJ-6.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I wanted a CJ-6, actually had a line on one when the Unlimited's came out. I waited a year to get the Rubicon version. I forgot all about wanting a CJ-6.
Yeah, but Imagine a CJ6 with a 4.0L and a Full JK Rubicon Drivetrain (or even teh upgraded Trail Duty 44's) :drool: Now THAT would be a wicked combo... Or even a CJ8. I just don't like the JK's as much, the front fenders just bug me. The LJ is the best looking jeep made in the last 20years IMO (course we never got the LWB YJ's here in N.America so...) To me LWB jeeps just have SO much more going for them. More stability in every situation (as in on and off road, climbing and descending and cornering) but I still say Jeep missed the boat by not offering a Mid-Wheelbase JK in a 2dr variety (saw one in Petersens with a Hemi and a 6spd Manual to boot YEEEE HAWWWW)... that MIGHT have made me a fan of the JK (althoguh I will admit I LOVE the 2dr J8 and teh Expo Model Scott is "testing - Damn you and your sweet trucks Scott... :D )

Anyway, sorry to go OT.

Love the LJ, keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles