Teardrops: Adventure Trailer VS. So Cal Teardrops

estysalinas

So I have been looking at these teardrops for a while and I love the idea of having more than just fabric separating me from the outdoors. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold out for the Xpotrail so I’m really in between two very similar trailers at the moment:

1. Adventure Trailer Teardrop: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/trailers/teardrop/

2. So Cal Teardrops Krawler 459:
http://www.socalteardrops.com/page.php?p=22

For the most part the teardrop itself is the same, as it is manufactured by SCT.
The biggest difference is in the suspension, which I'm positive that AT has the advantage, but SCT doesn't have a bad setup either and you appear to get a lot more bang for the buck.

Does anybody know of any significant selling points for one over the other beyond what i have already mentioned?

burquedoka

Adventurer
I love the idea of one of these babies as well. I need to sell my rock mog first :( I've been siding toward the AT version. I just think the trailing arm suspension if better suited than the leaf sprung straight axle. AT has a better history of R&D for off road trailer suspension design.

Some day.........................

Air Sierra

They are both built by So Cal teardrops the only difference is AT is on their own frame and outfits theirs with the airbag suspension.

Last edited:

ARinmyJK

I've compared these as well.

The SoCal is 13" longer than the AT. All of it appears to be the tongue area in front of the shell.

The SoCal's optional water tank is below the cabin shell and skid protected versus AT's tongue mounted.

Just personal preference, but I like the look of the SoCal's tongue box and fenders over the AT's. I'm sure there is little functional difference.

The space between the tongue box and shell on the Socal appears wider than that of the AT. Wide enough that it appears that two jerry cans will fit side by side on one side of the center line ( ie driver's side) instead of edge to edge across both sides. It also appears that a 10 lb propane tank would also fit there with the jerry cans protected by the tongue box instead of a 5 lb tank hung on the side of the trailer.

From the information on the websites, AT has a slightly higher base price but it seems you get more things as standard on the AT that are extra cost options on the SoCal.

AT has more gear upgrades & mods. SoCal has more cabin shell upgrades & mods.

Very easy to get either > $20K with options.

I'm stuck in a debate with myself which way to go ... A teardrop or a more conventional AT Horizon / Outlander Sherpa style with a RTT. Both have advantages and draw backs.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Just adding some information.

AT Teardrop has an AT chassis as well as AT Suspension

The water tank is under the chassis and has a skid plated.

JPK

Explorer
There are a couple more teardrop makers who offer anything from full blown offroad capability to just a taller ride height.

Moby1 Teardrop Trailers is one I'm leaning toward: http://moby1trailers.com/default.aspx

The maker, who seems like a great guy, is now offering a trailing arm coil and shock or coil over independent suspension system as well as a torsion system. He offers several sizes, both length and width, and will customize to your needs and desires within the limitations of the platform (and your wallet!) including plenty of water capacity, kitchen fit out, fuel can racks, propane tanks racks, electric water pumps, awning, roof rack of any type, even a RTT, etc, etc, and including A/C and heat.

More photos here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moby1-Trailers/117644758248440

Camp-Inn Trailers at Tinytrailers.com offers several models with an "SUV Package" that lifts the trailers 3" and provides some additional ground clearance. They use an independent torsion suspension system with no shocks. Prices seem competetive but customization seems limited.

Good to see other options out there.

JPK

estysalinas

Thanks!

Thank you all for the feedback.:wings:

I have looked at some of the other options for trailers like the MOBY1 and the Little Guy Series...however I always end up coming back to AT and SCT.

I will keep on researching...please continue to post your thoughts on these! At the moment i'm slightly more inclined to the AT mostly for their reputation and the suspension, the only problem is that have the potential to go visit SCT some time soon...that could be very interesting! Will keep you all posted.

gabepari

Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback.:wings:

I have looked at some of the other options for trailers like the MOBY1 and the Little Guy Series...however I always end up coming back to AT and SCT.

I will keep on researching...please continue to post your thoughts on these! At the moment i'm slightly more inclined to the AT mostly for their reputation and the suspension, the only problem is that have the potential to go visit SCT some time soon...that could be very interesting! Will keep you all posted.

Give me or Mario a shout when you want to come out. Mario is in our neck of the woods quite frequently and I'm sure he would be happy to meet you out here. And we have some AT chassis at the shop right now that you can see. Don't think of us as competing brands, just different solutions for different applications. We will work in concert to provide you with a product that suits you.

Gabe

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We are heading out this weekend to test run the SoCal Teardrop Krawler 459. I will report back how it went.

Martyn

Give me or Mario a shout when you want to come out. Mario is in our neck of the woods quite frequently and I'm sure he would be happy to meet you out here. And we have some AT chassis at the shop right now that you can see. Don't think of us as competing brands, just different solutions for different applications. We will work in concert to provide you with a product that suits you.

Gabe

It's true, but we keep supplying Gabe with sodas enriched with sugar, That way he gets on a sugar high and forgets to build trailers. He on the other hand treats us to beer so we'll forget :)

Anyway, what was I saying................

ARinmyJK

:violent-smiley-031::violent-smiley-031: :jump:

Lol. Since I have your attention, allow me to ask a question.

Is it feasible to add side boxes like on the Horizon to the sides of the tear above the fenders and between the cabin door and the arch of the rear hatch?

My biggest reservation about a tear over a box and RTT is lack of storage without using the bed area. While fine for awnings and chairs it is less satisfactory for things like a spare trackbar or a driveshaft. Thanks

Martyn

We made a Teardrop with storage under the bed, haven't made one with side boxes over the wheel wells.

Our regular side boxes are 14" wide by 54" long so I think they are a little long and heavy to go on the side of the Teardrop. It may be possible to make a composite box that would fit, the challenge would be to make it water tight. The gasket set up makes it more complex than our standard boxes.

Maybe Gabe has some ideas, that is if he's not in a sugar induced coma :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles