1995 Montero SR Build

preacherman

Explorer
I had a 1994 sr before my trooper and liked it quite a bit. A few observations I had:
It says to run 91 oct gas but mine ran fine on 87. I experimented on some long 1000 mile pluse trips and found that if I ran 91 oct my hwy mpg was considbly higher. It went from 16-17 hwy to 19-20 mpg. From here to Moab it made quite a difference.

Another thing, you mentioned the big sunroof. If the power switch ever fails (which is kind of common) there is a special tool in the toolkit in the door that will allow you to hand crank it open or closed.

Also while the third row seats don't come out without tools like the fj80, they don't take much to take out. Each seat has three (I think) bolts to remove the third row seats, which gives you a lot more room in the cargo area.

Overall I loved my SR and only sold it because it had 230,000 miles and I wanted something different. I sold it t wo years ago and still see the high school kid who bought it driving around all the time.

preacherman

Explorer
Why thank you.

I only wish I had gotten an OBDII truck so that I am able to use the OBD scanner to diagnose any issues. I may buy the mitsubishi scanner one day.

You can use a hand held volt meter or even do the paper clip trick to read codes. It works very well and I used it with great success. I looked for years for a Mitsubishi scanner and never found one for less than $3,000. I just kept a hand held volt meter and a photocopy of the code list in the drawer under the passenger seat everywhere I went. It worked really well.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup, 12v light works too.

Also as for the door locks acting up. IIRC someone had a similar problem and it was one of the switches acting up. Can probably tell for certain by removing them one by one and checking if the problem continues to happen.

As for the 91 octane rating, IIRC it says it's 'recommended' not 'required'.:ylsmoke:

HTH

GasPowered

I saw this Montero on Craigslist as well. Excellent price for a well maintained vehicle. I came sooo close to getting this one, but didn't pull the trigger. Great purchase, and I love the way the 33" look !!

Cheers

Yup, 12v light works too.

Also as for the door locks acting up. IIRC someone had a similar problem and it was one of the switches acting up. Can probably tell for certain by removing them one by one and checking if the problem continues to happen.

As for the 91 octane rating, IIRC it says it's 'recommended' not 'required'.:ylsmoke:

HTH

Put the 'spensive stuff in today and it has less pinging and smoother idle.

You may be on to something about the switches. The drivers side, when using the key to open the door it operates like normal. The passenger door, when using the key to open the door it goes nutso...
A friend's mitsubishi sedan of similar vintage has the exact same issue.

Hey look I made the news!
167006_589587884611_62002887_32994708_204371_n.jpg

Yanked the guy off the curb/fire hydrant........

Last edited:

ExpoGeorgia

Observer
There's one in my area with the same exact color combination for sale. I'm thinking of taking it for $800, but its got an issue with the transmission. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner on what's wrong with it but hopefully its nothing major

There's one in my area with the same exact color combination for sale. I'm thinking of taking it for $800, but its got an issue with the transmission. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner on what's wrong with it but hopefully its nothing major

Get it for $500 and fix the issues!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles