Vortec. In. A discovery

wyorover

I have a 99 discovery with 30k on verry well built truck
We had some cooling problems it never got hot but
Ran it home on water got some umexpected cold wheater and pushed the freez plugs out and we had
Been looking at a vortec swap any way this may be
The time
Any input would realy help

Wander

Expedition Leader
Oh...that sucks!

Only 30K on a 99-how did that happen?

There was recently a CT Disco-copy that had a 4.3 under the hood, the seller indicated it was a good swap. I'd lean to a 300Tdi which maybe more of a direct swap.

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, the 8.1L Vortec fits into a Defender 110SW, so why shouldn´t the smaller fit into a Disco?

101129rk_PL04682_web800.jpg

101129rk_PL04688_web800.jpg

So long,

Robert

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
we did a 4.3 in a D-90 and all was good- except it is very heavy compared to the Rover motor. I would try a different motor, like an Isuzu diesel, or a MB diesel.

wyorover

Oh...that sucks!

Only 30K on a 99-how did that happen?

There was recently a CT Disco-copy that had a 4.3 under the hood, the seller indicated it was a good swap. I'd lean to a 300Tdi which maybe more of a direct swap.

When i started i bought all the parts lift bumpers gears axles on and on then i started
Looking for a truck found it in florida had it shipped to bill @ gbr and built it all pretty much in one shot it went from bone stock with 15k miles on it to a beast with 35 in a week or two it realy is a great truck considering the last 15k miles have come a
Lot harder than the first 15k pretty hard offroad miles

Viggen

Just here...
we did a 4.3 in a D-90 and all was good- except it is very heavy compared to the Rover motor. I would try a different motor, like an Isuzu diesel, or a MB diesel.

The 4.3 is just a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off. Being that, it is heavier but miles and miles (literally) tougher than the BOPR V8. For cost effectiveness, a diesel will never make sense. You really have to want it and as the cost of the motors (even used) is much more than a low miles, used GM V6/ V8. I doubt very seriously an OM617 will have enough grunt for a laden D1/ D2 (yes they use them in G wagens but look at the factory gearing ratio just to get it to move). An Isuzu motor is more than enough grunt to move a D1/ D2 but then you run into a myriad of problems. Electronics (read the OBDII statement next), the fact that the trans will give up since a 4HP22 or 24 will not handle it (and will have to be modified anyway for diesel power delivery), then you have to buy the over $800 adapter to keep the LT230 behind a GM transmission. Then, you have to factor in that he has an OBDII truck and the moment an inspector comes up to his truck with a plug, hooks up the computer and gets no response, his truck fails immediately and he is stuck.

OP, pick up a good used motor and plug it in and be done with it. That will keep everything working 100% and keep you legal and above reproach.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
If your state has any sort of emissions requirements, go stock and be done with it. If you are planning on selling this vehicle within the next 10 years, go stock and be done with it.

That said, the Chevy V-6 has a lot of really nice points to it if you don't mind doing the fab and conversion work. The aftermarket support is definitely there, so it's certainly a sustainable engine. They are literally a dime a dozen out there, so finding a replacement down the line won't be much of an issue.

It isn't going to be cheap or easy, but I think it's worth doing- in the right circumstances. Just make sure you have lots of money and time.

wyorover

found a shop in moab ut that does a lot of conversions and builds that said
they could put a 6.0 in my defender for 5k they have a great reputation and
with them doing it it should go pretty smooth but then you get to everything ells 700r auto and a atlas ??
we have no inspections in wyoming and im so upside down in this thing now that selling doesnt matter i got more in gears, lockers,axles and cv
joints than its worth

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
found a shop in moab ut that does a lot of conversions and builds that said
they could put a 6.0 in my defender for 5k they have a great reputation and
with them doing it it should go pretty smooth but then you get to everything ells 700r auto and a atlas ??
we have no inspections in wyoming and i would be so upside down in this thing now that selling doesnt matter i got more in gears, lockers,axles and cv
joints than its worth

Do you have a Defender or a DII? $5k for a motor install sounds about right considering the pat answer for a diesel install is $5k. A 6.0 in a DII would be awesome and could probably net you better mileage than the motor thats in there if you are keeping the 4L80E thats behind it. If you do that, then you need to do the wiring changes, possibly a fuel pump (uprated flow for bigger motor?), and then you have everything else to worry about. Are you going to run the LT230? If so you need the Marks LT to GM auto adapter and that is not cheap at all. Want to run an Atlas or American transfer case? Then you have to run a heavily angled driveshaft or swap to American axles. Not to mention that the power output is going to be hugely increased so you are looking at axle upgrades being needed.

If you are worried about being upside down in your Rover, just find a good, used motor and drop it in. We are all upside down in our Rovers. Its just the way it is.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
If you are worried about being upside down in your Rover, just find a good, used motor and drop it in. We are all upside down in our Rovers. Its just the way it is.

What do you mean? There's no such thing as being upside down in a Rover. Do the sun, moon and stars have a value? :ylsmoke:

David

Viggen

Just here...
What do you mean? There's no such thing as being upside down in a Rover. Do the sun, moon and stars have a value? :ylsmoke:

David

No, they dont but the maintaining of a vehicle to get you there does and, well, sometimes modifications just dont make sense.

antisoshal

It would seem to me that if you are worried about being upside-down in your rover, you might wanna practice on a few easier trails first.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles