Building my own sliders and plans for LR

Lentsnh

I'm new to this site but I have some MIG experience and am willing to tackle building rock sliders for my 2004 Discovery SE.

I plan to make a "protector rock slider" which goes right under the plastic rockers. About an inch and a half between the rocker and top of the slider.

I will be making it out of 2X1 square tubing for the slider part, 1 1/2" round tubing for the supports and then 3/4" sheet metal for the base to weld onto the frame.

I may also make my own variation of a Equipe 4x4 front bumper, I just have to get plans for it.

After Christmas, Im still saving up and waiting to buy a Rovertym 3" suspension lift with Bilstein shocks. Cragar Streetlock D hole wheels and 265/75/16 Firestone Destination MTs.

Lentsnh

I'm new to this site but I have some MIG experience and am willing to tackle building rock sliders for my 2004 Discovery SE.

I plan to make a "protector rock slider" which goes right under the plastic rockers. About an inch and a half between the rocker and top of the slider.

I will be making it out of 2X1 square tubing for the slider part, 1 1/2" round tubing for the supports and then 3/4" sheet metal for the base to weld onto the frame.

I may also make my own variation of a Equipe 4x4 front bumper, I just have to get plans for it.

After Christmas, Im still saving up and waiting to buy a Rovertym 3" suspension lift with Bilstein shocks. Cragar Streetlock D hole wheels and 265/75/16 Firestone Destination MTs.

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I made a set using 2x4 3/16" tube and some angle iron to sandwich the frame. The sliders need to curve to follow the lines of the truck, a shop press should handle this.

There are a few southeastern guys who have experience with building sliders, michaels comes to mind. Might wanna hit him up for info. AFAIK we both used the same set of plans to build our sliders.

I subsequently sold mine and bought a pair of prefabbed sliders that incorporated the curve I mentioned. They aren't as beefy as what I made but the price was right.

-Sam

Wander

Expedition Leader
Nice looking 04-sounds like you are going from a street/custom look to a more offroad look.

Where did you learn to weld, that is something on my list of things to learn.

Lentsnh

Nice looking 04-sounds like you are going from a street/custom look to a more offroad look.

Where did you learn to weld, that is something on my list of things to learn.

Well its all stock now. I love the look and what it lets the LR do, capability wise.

I cant wait to make it my own.

And I'm a high school student and at our school we have career prep programs. I've been in Welding, Framing and finishing (woodworks), Industrial systems maintenance (build dune buggys, hovercrafts, and more), Intro into manufacturing and a few others.

It is alot of fun once you learn it. Take it easy and get the patterns down with stick and then move to MIG. TIG is alot of fun too, but its VERY complex.

Lentsnh

I made a set using 2x4 3/16" tube and some angle iron to sandwich the frame. The sliders need to curve to follow the lines of the truck, a shop press should handle this.

There are a few southeastern guys who have experience with building sliders, michaels comes to mind. Might wanna hit him up for info. AFAIK we both used the same set of plans to build our sliders.

I subsequently sold mine and bought a pair of prefabbed sliders that incorporated the curve I mentioned. They aren't as beefy as what I made but the price was right.

-Sam

do you have any pictures of your sliders?

Sounds like those that you made wouldn't budge. And where they weld on or bolt on?

Go to www.discoweb.org and click on tech and scroll down fro hidden sliders you will have a full write up and pictures .

awesome! Thank you!

Lentsnh

do you have any pictures of your sliders?

Sounds like those that you made wouldn't budge. And where they weld on or bolt on?

awesome! Thank you!
side note- I would like for mine to show. I would like to build a full rocker slider or a "nerf" style.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Well its all stock now. I love the look and what it lets the LR do, capability wise.

I cant wait to make it my own.

And I'm a high school student and at our school we have career prep programs. I've been in Welding, Framing and finishing (woodworks), Industrial systems maintenance (build dune buggys, hovercrafts, and more), Intro into manufacturing and a few others.

It is alot of fun once you learn it. Take it easy and get the patterns down with stick and then move to MIG. TIG is alot of fun too, but its VERY complex.

Wow-sounds like a great program!

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I will dig up a pic of mine as well as the plans I used. They stick out from the sill a bit, the reason I initially went with 2x4 is to avoid using a nerf. Bottorf fab uses a 2x2 tube with 1x1 nerf that is a little over 1" offset.

Hicountry uses a 2x3 with no nerf(this is what I run now purely because I sold my old sliders)

RTE runs a 2x3 or 2x4 maybe with a nerf as well.

I didnt want mine to stick out too far, just enough to provide protection and give a little lip to help shorter people access the roofrack.

Only negative about the nerf, is it hampers your ability to do narrow trails and some will argue about the inherent additional torque from the longer lever arm, I don't really think it's a big issue unless thr added length is significant and you drop your truck onto it.

Mine bolt on through the sill. Grade 8 bolts. As do most of the sliders, one company does do weld on sliders to the frame, but that's a longer lever arm, I don't like the look, if you do a body lift you are going to run a gap as well.

-Sam

leeawalden

Adventurer
Hey buddy, there are a bunch of guys in Auburn (college students) with rovers. I used to be in school down at AU but graduated last december and am either there or in Nashville. There are still several others that have some non-stock D2's. I know they would be more than happy to talk with you about building your own set of sliders or letting you look at theirs to go off of. Also, myself and another guy in AU run 3" RTE with fox 2.0 remote res. I just like fox shocks over the bilsteins but its just a preference. One of the guys has built a few sets of sliders that are on the trucks in town.

shoot me a pm and I'll get you in touch with them if they don't post up here first.

Also, I would just get some steel wheels from atlantic british or the wheels that justin at Lucky 8 sells. I am pretttyyyy sure that cragers don't make a wheel in the rover bolt pattern.

Last edited:

Sabre07

Observer
Don't have a Rover, but am interested in seeing this work out, as all of my stuff is home designed. War Eagle, btw.

michaels

Explorer
i live in auburn on the weekends right now, but won't be of any use till may, when i'm living in auburn full time again. i'm moving to italy in january for a couple months. here's some photos of my sliders though. i sold a set to chris pellechia and he rocks 'em.

n1005090050_30569349_547440.jpg

n1005090050_30569351_6036531.jpg

22031_1258379572005_1005090050_30809533_3343582_n.jpg

32563_1323939574393_1107960116_30798419_6081975_n.jpg

michaels

Explorer
also forgot to mention, the doors aren't straight. there is a gentle curve to them, so the sliders curve as well. i just kept matching them to the doors when i built both sets so they look good.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Dang it! Another Auburn rover owner!

Just don't screw up your truck with different wheels and all of that junk. Get some stock 16in rover wheels at some 255/85 tires and you will be set with your 3in. lift. Don't bother with the equipe stuff either because either a HLCfab or RTE bumper will be of more use for the area you are in also. Another note... Don't screw up your truck with stupid bling.

Here is a pic of a bunch of us at SAE.
4086721269_5183b3864a_z.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles