Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Steven Lang

99+% of us simply make a living for a good part of our waking hours instead of 'living a life'.

You live a life. I thank you very much for all your brilliant work... and your obvious enjoyment of it all.

Seeker

Adventurer
F & J - Excellent write-up. I've been glued to my browser for weeks, keeping this one tab persistent among all others as I refreshed the URL to pick up new posts across work days and recreational reading sessions.

You've done an awesome thing here - not just the Congo, but months and months of RTW travel.

My wife and I hope to do something similar in our future, and threads like this help keep the dream alive, the savings account active, and the planning spreadsheets updated. Otherwise it can be quite easy to lose the dream in the dust of day-to-day life. Just the other night I spoke with her about what she couldn't live without seeing, and where she absolutely _had_ to go on that trip. It excited us both; it was a conversation we hadn't touched on in a few months and we had it because our dream was invigorated by the telling of yours.

Thank you for that.

JasonWD

Like a lot of the others I got hooked on this thread (linked from jalopnik) and spent the last two days reading the whole thing.

It is the frankness that makes the story so appealing. Thanks so much for spending the time to write all that text!

I have encouraged as many people I know to read it as it gives a real 'on the ground' view to the situation in African countries. Being 9th generation ex-Zimbabwean I would like people to see where the country could be headed.

It is hard to explain to a teenager in Europe collecting money for the UNHCR that I won't give them money because I have seen army people in their vehicles and selling their food. Without going there it is very hard to explain.

It is also sad that the generations of people who were there for the stable colonial times are fading, like the guy in your report. Unfortunately history will be written by the leaders.

Thanks again and I look forward to the broadcast on the 5th!

My question (maybe for that q&a session), did you consider driving in reverse when the rear axle broke?

Expedition Key

Adventurer
My question (maybe for that q&a session), did you consider driving in reverse when the rear axle broke?

That's an interesting approach, I hope we can share ideas like this without it being seen as criticism to F&J. I'm also curious if this would have worked. I have many times been stuck trying to back up hills in RWD truck which would probably roughly equate to the weight distribution of a loaded down Cruiser limping up hill on the front driveline. I'd imagine that with the extreme off camber "roads", they would need to have the steering wheels on the uphill end to keep on track??

I was wondering if you guys tried removing heavy cargo items and strapping/loading them to front bumper/hood? I would think this would help traction immensely but also expose your valuables to those with sticky fingers.

Anyway, thank you F&J for sharing your adventure with us. The most impressive aspect to me of the whole adventure is that Josephine was up for it, stuck through it, and that you guys are still together!! I've yet to have a girlfriend/wife that could last more than a few days camping...truly amazing :smiley_drive:

MILKMAN

WOW ad WOW

Just joined to say Wow for fantastic read. Some of us only dream of it, you two dreamed it AND lived it. Can't wat for the follow ups..... Keep travelling safe:smiley_drive:

MatthewThompson

Adventurer
Thanks for a great read. Add me to the substantial list of people who would happily pay for a hardback edition of your world travels and photographs. :)

magnolia

Josephine and Frederik: I found your story through jalopnik. Like most everyone else I've been glued to my desk chair reading your story for the last few days. I joined this site so I could comment.

You two are absolutely remarkable in every way, and I applaud your adventurous spirit. I echo the sentiments of so many when I say you should write a book about your experiences (you can self-publish digitally through Kindle). You are fascinating writers, and so very brave. Most especially you, Josephine. Travelling through the rape capital of the world with female bits blows my mind.

I've told everyone who will listen to me how interesting and completely captivating your story is. Frankly, I can't wait to read more.

Please don't allow the desk-bound mechanics to rain on your parade. You are FABULOUS. You did something most people could never even dream of doing.

I learned so much reading your story, and I'm from NY where we think we know everything. ;)

Bonne chance avec tous vos voyage,
-magnolia

Loneranger

Guys, I came across your story while browsing through Jalopnik the other day and I was up until 4 a.m. reading it till the end. Absolutely fascinating, thrilling and honest! I've registered at this forum just to say thank you for the time and effort it took to put it all in written words. Also I admire your honesty and openness in expressing what you've seen and felt. Frederik, it's amazing that you've gone through it all together with The Co-pilot, my very best regards to Josephine. By the way, it was very unexpected and funny to see the cover of her notepad in one of the photos, that Russian notepad in the middle of the jungle somewhere in DRC, somehow it looked surreal that way if you get what I mean. I would love to see your story published one day, maybe adding reports from your previous travels if you have plans to write them up too. Being Russian I would be particularly interested to hear about your experience while travelling through Russia. Seems like those hours I spent reading through your story just flew by, truly amazing, again thank you!

Last edited:

DaveSmith

I signed up here a couple years ago but haven't posted or lurked much.

I stopped posting my stuff as I wound down in India. Too many negative comments and emails even though most were supporting me. It doesn't take many for me to just say screw it and stop posting.

I really liked your long post of the whys and what fors. Maybe I'll get off my lazy *** and update my blog. I already have most of the next 2 posts written and they're waiting but it wasn't worth it to me anymore.

I saw the link from jalopnik which I've mostly quit reading because they chase away the best writers for dumb reasons. Good timing on my behalf.

If I ever see you two in a place where I have money, I hope to buy you a couple beers!

taco2go

Explorer
F &J: so I'm looking through your trip report, culling pictures to sketch, and notice a serious omission ;)- there's not a single photograph with your truck in 'Camp' mode- ie with the tent deployed.

Guess you were always in the "being stared at" mode and couldn't afford the obligatory poser shot. :)

1106551470_o8Epy-L.jpg

deepop

Thanks

Another new member from Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks very much F. & J. - inspirational trip and absolutely fantastic report.

Thanks for the time and effort taken to transpose this from your notes into a coherent report.

You two obviously made the right decisions and stuck to your plan at all the right times, and were flexible enough to make changes when and where required, to survive this epic adventure.

Zodiac

Great reading

Thanks Fred & Josephine for a well-written report. As a fellow Belgian I already had a lot of respect for Aalst people (don't miss the carnival), but this has increased it even more.

A lot of respect for your adventure and for your take on life. The affection you have for one another really transpires from your account.

I'm in the wrong time zone to catch you live on 5 December but here's hoping that there will be a replay option.

Greetings

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne