Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

lurch70

Frederik and Josephine, thank you for this marvelous and inspiring insight into your adventure.

I am not an adventurer at all, far from it, and came here from jalopnik.com as well after they posted a quote from your story. I was hooked and had to read it all.

Thanks to your style of writing combined with the photos it really gave us a very visual, "You are there" feeling.

I have a few questions ....
- this being Africa I never heard about you encountering wildlife. I know in one of the posts you wrote about a local longing for times of old when they were roaming, but is it really to the point that there are "none"?

- this corruption and "instant-on" begging does it happen to everyone that passes through a new place there. since they don't seem to encounter new people for seemingly long periods of time I wonder how this was instilled in them to the point that it comes out almost instantly?!?
I have dealt with begging quite a bit having grown up in Romania in the 70's and the Roma (gypsies) had this form of money making perfected. It was different though as they were a minority in every city so they always felt entitled and quite annoying.

Anyway, sorry for the naive questions ... and I will follow your writings in the future. Godspeed!

Velocewest

Josephine and Frederik, what an amazing recounting of an epic journey! I could not pull myself away! Perhaps if I had a winch... :p

One comment -- I think your LC deserves a name. I defer to your preference, but "Rocinante" comes to mind. Even more than Don Q's steed, your LC proved itself greater than its simple origin...

Bravo!

DentonTx

The progress we hoped to be making today did not materialize..

pembeyangu011.jpg

To make matters worse we drove straight into a tropical storm..

Amazing story, thank you for sharing.

One question- around that one bog hole with the palm tree in the center- is it easier to cut it down or work around it?

StanleyandIris

I read your story last night and until 5 am this morning, so Thanksgiving dinner will be late. Oh well. It is a riveting account of what seemed to me a horribly frightening journey. When you were chased by machete-wielding mad men, I thought "this is where I would quit". I applaud your courage to continue in the face of such extreme violence and hazards.

Thank you for such insight into the Congo and some of the individuals you met along the way, especially the "little fool" who said "we all have the same blood" and the accounts of cannibalism and atrocities in the journal of the Priest. These are things no one has heard before. Your detailed account and GPS coordinates will be so helpful to those who wish to experience west Congo, although I would never be so brave, as well as those wishing to do charitable work in the deep jungle. I loved that all white people are called Chinois because most have never seen white skin before.

I found it interesting to say the least that you never felt at ease at any point in this Congo journey and know that I could not maintain through such anxiety and stress. But then you are young and strong where I am neither.

As for any criticism of your behavior or decisions, just tell the critics "walk a mile in my Congo shoes".

Wishing you the best on each and every journey.

Iris
New Orleans

Rzeppa

If Overland does not pick up this story I'm sure 4wd toyota owner magazine would be very interested! In fact I just emailed them a link to this thread..........hope you don't mind.

Whilst this is a most awesome article, it would more than fill Overland, T4WDO or my own club's magazine, Toyota Trails. We have done a number of multi-part expedition articles in Toyota Trails in the past, but this would exceed any of them. Fortunately, we now offer web-based content at our web site at tlca.org, and this would be perfect for the web.

As it is, I am enjoying it greatly reading about it here!

Happy cruisin'!

Hotrock3

RadioBaobab,

Your report has been one of the best I have ever read. I can't express how lucky you are to have a woman in your life that also shares your passion for travel even in such stressful and unpredictable situation.

Over the last two days I have read every post you have made on this topic. Your trip has changed you for the better. It is people like you who inspire me. Hopefully I will someday be able to take a trip and learn from the people of the world. Until then I will continue to learn from those who are willing to share the stories of their travels.

I do have one question though. Was this your first big trip or had you done other multi month trips before?

I only wish I could read the story of your whole 2 year journey. Maybe someday I will drive through some of the same places you did and learn from the same people.

Klay

What? I have an account here? Even more strange, how did I remember the password?

In any case, RadioBaobab, I commend you (and Josephine) for your perseverance in accomplishing such an incredible leg of your journey and for your gripping tale which you have recounted here.

Last edited:

2Tracker

True Adventurer’s

What an EPIC adventure and report. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this incredible experience with us. I appreciate that you told the adventure as you saw it; and not what you thought would sound politically correct. You are lucky to have each other and I cant wait to read more.

Attachments

• 121trophy.jpg
    121trophy.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 42

ClaireDC

Thanks and Question

Thank you so much for sharing your incredibly unique journey with us. Instead of having an adventure of my own today, I've spent the better part of the day reading your entire story of traveling through the DRC! You are both so brave! You also have a really great writing style that kept me engaged and wanting to read more.

I am wondering if there is somewhere to read of your other travels? I am eager to learn more about your overland travels throughout Africa and Asia.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Blue XJ

Still looking for the vehicle report. Most interesting reading from ther interweb in quite awhile. THANKS!!!

Cruisn

Adventurer
What an amazing write up!! great job. really inspires confidence to get out there and travel the world

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles