Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Frederik,

I am just going to add my voice here to all the people who have expressed their congratulations for this amazing trip report. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it.

I really hope you will continue, I know that you have much more to share...

:)

squint

Adventurer
After much traveling in the developed world myself, I feel you are dead on in terms of the value of money and how you handled those situtiations. Negotiating, though a tiring, conscious-stricken, and sometimes extremely stressful endeavor outside the western world, is absolutely essential, even if you have more money than you need, for so many more reasons than most that have never been in those situations can imagine.

Thanks again for a fantastic and raw (preferably!) account of your adventure. The pure stress of your situation made for a gripping read that held me spellbound until the very end! If you time, we would love to hear more of your adventures.

Rainen

Great Report

Great report, thorough and very well written. Truly one of the best reports I have read on any forum. Thanks for taking the time (and risk of ridicule) to write this. Truly inspirational. Please write a book to fund your next trip. I will happily buy a copy or 10.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I just want to point out that I see many new faces that have signed up for this forum just for this report. That is some inspiration Frederik!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wander (Matt) I agree completely and think it is a true testament to the quality of this trip report when you count up how many people have joined to say thanks....having been here a few years I have never seen anything like it.

Thanks again to F&J and please please tell us about the rest of your travels.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Thank You

Thank you for sharing. Your trip was inspiring and a wonderful read. I really appreciate you writing so honestly. :clapsmile

kjp1969

Explorer
It bears repeating- fantastic storytelling, epic trip. The two authors have the gift of adventure and fearlessness that many of us envy!

Wander

Expedition Leader
Wander (Matt) I agree completely and think it is a true testament to the quality of this trip report when you count up how many people have joined to say thanks....having been here a few years I have never seen anything like it.

Thanks again to F&J and please please tell us about the rest of your travels.

Hey the thread even got Lance to pause from the farm-how is going bud?

smenzel

This is an incredible write-up. These hours of reading have been some of the most entertaining and educational that I've spent reading about overland adventuring.

Thanks F&J for sharing.

haven

Expedition Leader
It's great that another forum member has driven this approximate route.

Miki drove the other direction, Kinshasa to Lubumbashi, and via Tshikapa near the Angolan border, rather than the more northerly route chosen by Frederik and Josephine.

Miki reports his vehicle survived without major damage. He is willing to provide help planning an itinerary.

nordic

thanks for sharing and the time

I joined to follow this trip. I greatly appreciate the care taken to remember and document it and the effort involved.

The constant negotiation, knowing when to bluff, when to run, and when to play ball is an eye opener for me. Anybody critiquing the finer or more obvious points, i.e. gear, maintenance, misses the point that power is arbitrarily held in much of the third world and it's a reality that takes great finesse to negotiate. Thanks again, I'd buy your book.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Like so many others, I offer a sincere thanks for the excellent entertainment and inspiration. :costumed-smiley-007

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Just wanted to add myself to the chorus of thank yous.

The effort to write this trip report is impressive in itself, especially considering that English is not your first language.

However; it's also very impressive that you are willing to put yourself out there and make yourself prey to the slobbering internet masses. I greatly hope that the negative comments and questions to not dissuade you from posting further reports in the exact same style.

As you can see, most of us are perfectly content to read the story for the story itself, and are able to do so without judgment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles