An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
G´day,

a quick first preview of a possible rear expedition setup for the 130....

LR_130CC-R_Maltec_web800s.jpg

The "visualisation" is using the expedition cabin build by Malte from Maltec.org.
I will probably go for side doors to access tools and stuff, but I have been thinking of maybe also having my office/workspace in there....still a lot to think about and I´ll keep playing with photoshop a little more.

Any suggestions are welcome, too.

So long,

Robert

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
That's a lot of rear overhang...

What about doing a Flippac kind of setup over the cab and keeping a normal length box/tray?

Oilworker

Explorer
It´s something I was thinking about, too, but 120kgs is a lot for a roof, isn´t it?
The rear cabin isn´t build yet, I am just playing a bit to figure out how long it´ll need to be or can be and then figure out doors & interiors.

Here a shorter and a bit higher version of the expedition cabin....

LR_130CC-R_Maltec_web800_2s.jpg

It´s now exactly as long as the tray (1770mm)

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I dunno. I don't have one yet so I'm not sure where the weight is concentrated. I'm going to guess that while there is a good bit of weight near the top most of it would be in the "box" portion itself.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/vehicles/at_flippac/

You have a lot of mass low in your rig. I don't think it would make a huge difference, especially once the interior of the cabin is fitted out.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you get an actual Flippac but maybe use it as an idea for something that can be made locally. Maybe something that pops straight up and out of the box/tray and then slides out of the front and over the cab for a sleeping area like in a tent trailer?

burn_e

Adventurer

I really enjoy following this thread.
Would love to see your Landy once in real, must appear very very alien back home in good old Germany.

Aren't you insulted and criminalised by the greens, bicyclist, mothers with strollers, retired people etc. basicly everyone due to your obsession? lol

Oilworker

Explorer
Nope! Somehow, sofar, everyone I met thought the truck was pretty cool.
You should see the faces when my wife drives the Defender into town :)

If everything works out with my work schedule for 2011, I will probably drive down to Bahrain and that could be a chance to meet in Dubai, wouldn´t it?

bcrez

Adventurer
Awesome explanation. Thank you.

In most solid axle drivetrains, the wheels are directly connected to the differentials by straight axles. The center of the wheel lines up with the center of the differential. Portal axles add a set of gears at the ends of the axles, so the center of the wheel ends up below the center of the differential. This has the effect of creating more ground clearance without increasing tire size. The first post in this thread gives you a good idea what the gears inside portal axle ends look like.

Portal axles add expense and complexity to a vehicle, so they generally are used in vehicles where cost is less important than off-road mobility (i.e., military vehicles). Examples include the HMMWV (aka Hummer H1), the Mercedes Unimog, the Steyr-Daimler-Puch Pinzgauer, and the Volvo C303.

A few companies in USA and Europe make portal axle ends that can be adapted to the axles found in commercial vehicles like Jeeps and Land Rovers. This thread talks about one such project.

Oilworker

Explorer
Last week the long awaited 62L FrontRunner fuel tanks finally arrived from LPI and so Marc and I thought it was a great plan to install them together at his garage....

101106rk_PL04166_web800s.jpg

101106rk_PL04182_web800s.jpg

...and it really was a great plan, as I, when looking for some tools, found this nice collection of fine liquors....

101106rk_PL04184_web800s.jpg

...and it became a great long day....plus some trouble when I finally got home :(

More images of the installation later....

Lesson learned, the very tasty way, beware when using a winery´s garage :)

Last edited:

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Wow. hadn't seen the rear seat box in a late truck. On my Tdi the entire rear seat box is a large storage compartment where I keep all my recovery gear, tool rolls etc.
What make is the bed cap on your buddies truck ? Have a link by any chance ?

Oilworker

Explorer
Sure I have: AFN (Portugal): http://www.afn.pt/v3/specialv.php?language=EN

Some better shots of Marc´s 130 with the AFN hardtop....

100812rk_PL03222_web1000s.jpg

100812rk_PL03201_web1000s.jpg

The only modification necessary was a replacement of the original door hinges, which he´s just done, as the original ones where to weak for regular use.

Addition: Just drove past his place and got a few more images from the rear and inside of the hardtop...

101108rk_PL04205_web800s.jpg

101108rk_PL04204_web800s.jpg

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
The new Defenders have the same box underneath the rear seats and Frontrunner was the only manufacturer that I could find who currently offers a tank that fits exactly inside.

It´s a pretty quick installation, too (once you have the tank).

Take out the rear seats and the box...

101106rk_PL04162_web800s.jpg

....Marc had used his box as storage before, too....
101106rk_PL04168_web800s.jpg

...after positioning the tank you make the rear cutout for the feed to the original tank...
101106rk_PL04181_web800s.jpg

...place it...
101106rk_PL04182_web800s.jpg

...and put the cover back on...
101106rk_PL04186_web800s.jpg

...into which you have already made the cutout for the filler and breather....
101106rk_PL04187_web800s.jpg

...with all that done and the box screwed back in place (it´s a very tight fit, which guarantees the tank is not going to move. It´s screwed down by two M8 bolts on either side, too) you make the cutout into the rear side...
101106rk_PL04190_web800s.jpg

...and last, take out the original tank to drill a hole and install the feeder plug. Then replace the tank and connect the auxilliary tank with the original tank...
101106rk_PL04200_web800s.jpg

In addition, we also extended the original breather tube and placed it higher up.

Ready to go.

Oilworker

Explorer
You may have wondered how we ran the hoses to the tank.
As we didn´t manage to get the supplied hose into a proper bend (it was and still is pretty cold here), we decided to find another solution which is this....

101108rk_PL04214_web800s.jpg

101108rk_PL04216_web800s.jpg

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
While doing some research into other brake options for my portals and also for the new portals that are currently in development, I came across some fantastic craftsmenship: a disc brake conversion for the Volvo TGB axles...

WRR_Volvo_TGB_Disc_Conversion_46.jpg

WRR_Volvo_TGB_Disc_Conversion_45.jpg

WRR_Volvo_TGB_Disc_Conversion_48.jpg

WRR_Volvo_TGB_Disc_Conversion_49.jpg

WRR_Volvo_TGB_Disc_Conversion_51.jpg

WRR_Volvo_TGB_Disc_Conversion_50.jpg

And it´s race prooven already....

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
That's impressive looking kit.

I'm not familiar with these axles... is that rotor the OEM rotor for that axle or part of the kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online