The 3rd Gen Build

jh504

Explorer
Hey folks, I am continuing from my "rig lowering" thread and starting a build thread on my truck. I have decided to probably keep this one for a while so I will begin a proper build up. It is a 1995 Toyota Pickup with a 22re and a manual. It will be the base for a popup truck camper that I have been planning for quite a while now. The truck's current statistic's are:

4" ProComp Sus lift
285 75 R16 Toyo MT's
16x8 Pacer wheels
4.56 gear ratio

I have already rebuilt the driver's side manual hub and the passenger side is soon to follow. I also replaced the radiator due to a crack. I will be rebuilding the idler arm, and replacing the control arm bushings soon. The ripped 60/40 bench seat will be thrown out and replaced with buckets and a center console. I just purchased a Trail Gear winch mount and will be adding it this week.

7401.jpg

7397.jpg

Trail Gear mount:

trailgear.jpg

jh504

Explorer
So I got to work today installing the winch mount. It bolts to 4 factory holes on the crossmember. I will be adding a piece of angle just for the peace of mind of having two more mounting bolts. I had to trim about an inch off of the bottom of my grill. The bumper was not going back on in one piece though, so I broke out the grinder and went to town. I will keep the original bumper for now because I like the factory look.

Here are a few shots, sorry for the picture quality, it was raining all day.

winch5.jpg

winch4.jpg

winch3-1.jpg

winch2-1.jpg

winch1-1.jpg

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
4 mounting bolts is plenty. The same amount of bolts hold up most aftermarket winch bumpers and winches only have 4 mounting bolts anyway.

When do i get to see this rig in action?

-Sam

jh504

Explorer
4 mounting bolts is plenty. The same amount of bolts hold up most aftermarket winch bumpers and winches only have 4 mounting bolts anyway.

When do i get to see this rig in action?

-Sam

Yeah, I just dont like the fact that the 2nd Gen trucks get 6 mounting bolts while mine gets 4. I tend to overbuild.

Im off thurs and fri next week.

R.I.P. bench seat R.I.P.!!!

I can fully understand wanting to ditch the bench. Buckets are more comfortable, but there is just something I love about a bench seat. It must have something to do with highschool and girls being able to sit sooo close on a bench...

What seats did you put in it? Got any pictures?

By the way this truck has come a long way in the past few weeks. It's amazing what a proper set of tires and a little dirt will do for a truck.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Raleigh. I'm back and forth between there and Wilmington for the time being but if you ever need any help or to borrow some tools send me a pm. How long have you been in Raleigh?

jh504

Explorer
R.I.P. bench seat R.I.P.!!!

I can fully understand wanting to ditch the bench. Buckets are more comfortable, but there is just something I love about a bench seat. It must have something to do with highschool and girls being able to sit sooo close on a bench...

What seats did you put in it? Got any pictures?

By the way this truck has come a long way in the past few weeks. It's amazing what a proper set of tires and a little dirt will do for a truck.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Raleigh. I'm back and forth between there and Wilmington for the time being but if you ever need any help or to borrow some tools send me a pm. How long have you been in Raleigh?

I still have the bench for now. I love 2nd Gen 4runner buckets so I am hoping I can find some. I dont mind the bench if it is in god shape but I like to have access to the ext cab area. The bench seat is kind of like a wall separating the cab.

Thanks, I do think it looks alot better now, and is much more functional. I've been in and out of Raleigh for the past 15 years. I lived in Wilmington for a little while too. We are down there quite a bit.

jjdavids;738348I setup my winch almost identical to yours. Except I built the mount. I strongly suggest that you reinforce the frame behind the mount. FROR makes a kit for $40 or so that is well worth the money. [url said:
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...5c11c3a5aa0d09[/url]

Good luck on your build.

Justin

Thanks for the link. Yeah I definitely want some more strength in that crossmember. I have some angle here and was thinking of welding a piece to the top of the crossmember for strength and to have something else to bolt to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles