Earthroamer: new tire/wheel/suspension

howell_jd

Adventurer
Returning to a discussion of the actual suspension does sound like a prime choice!

I can provide a basis of comparison to the air ride as I have the original 2005 coil and leaf suspension on Dana Super 60 (front) and Dana S110 (rear) axles and 4.88 differential riding on Bilstein 5100 shocks.

There have been a few occasions where I have taken the truck very close to its absolute capabilities but most recently getting my family off the Medano Creek Pass Primitive Road was a real experience with the full range of travel of the truck's suspension.

I posted a little of this on FaceBook - unfortunately without photos as it was close to sunset and I was more concerned about getting out of the sand before it was dark.

...and yes this will cover the capability of even a worn out set of Bilsteins on coil and leaf suspension supporting an 8ton truck in DEEP sand...

Basically, I successfully took my family outbound on the Medano Creek Pass Primitive Road at the end of the EarthRoamer Rally this year. My daughter, my wife, and I enjoyed surfing the sand at Castle Creek Campsite. We used the facilities of the truck to wash up and enjoy something to eat before turning around to head back to Mississippi.

The fact is that the sand was DEEP. The back end of the ER is heavy and even though I had aired down, soon the rear diff was dragging on an uphill climb. I used the front Warn and a rig over a trailside bolster and an uphill tree to winch forward but the rear diff was still dragging even though I dug out the undercarriage and used trail scrub under the rear tires.

The recovery was much shortened when another trail enthusiast in a lifted Jeep came over the top of the hill. He offered to let me use his front tow hooks as a running anchor but before I could respool the winch he popped the cable. I tied a clove hitch to reattach and with my wife on the throttle, him on his Jeep and me operating the winch we extracted the truck to the trail top and out of the deepest sand.

I've got his contact info - turns out he is a former 82d Airborne rigger...nice to have and Airborne connection to help out a recovery operation!...and I will be sending him some cool thank you gifts shortly.

So to the suspension part of the story...

There is quite a bit of DEEP sand between Castle Creek Camp and The Point of No Return and I already had aired down as much as the truck will handle without breaking a bead so..."damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!"

As I've said, the shocks are near gone so we had a slipping sliding banging and bucking high speed sand blasting tire spinning adventure back to the main road where I discovered I had broken the bike rack from the back of the truck - a 2 inch steel bike rack. Let me say that walking back down the trail to collect the bikes and rack was no fun and I've walked a bit in sand too.

The truck definitely caught air on trail tops and very nearly bottomed out on the low spots. I did not want to get stuck again so momentum was my driving partner and there were some spots that I very nearly did get stuck again.

During the 2009 ER Rally I had an air ride and Continental tire equipped ER follow me through "impassable sand"
100_1542.jpg

100_1543.jpg

He was able to just motor thru what had been a challenge for the several trucks in front of me...I even gave the obstacle three tries to get across.

The upgraded suspension on Kelderman air alone is a great improvement. It's a clear choice for those who want to explore in sand. Although stock can handle the sand, the air ride is much better. The Continental tires on the new wheels are even better on the sand. I took my air pressure from 110 front and rear to 35/45 front/rear.

Obviously, a winch is a trail necessity more than suspension/tire modifications and is less expensive but the upgrade opens opportunities of exploration to those with fewer days to experience off-road educational events. My own experience with HMMWVs and MRAPs are even a bit different than driving the ER.

I was very anxious for the damage I could have imposed upon my truck - driving Army trucks I knew that I always had a contact crew available and when someone is shooting you will tend to drive a bit more aggressively with confidence I assure you. That being said, the only damage for my full tilt escape from the sand was the broken bike rack and a broken pressure regulator to my air compressor (the sand bent a copper tube). Ford builds em tough but what ER does makes the whole system bulletproof.

I am impressed...maybe I impress too easily but I do have a bit of experience with heavy off road trucks - 16 years on light, medium, and heavy chassis. I look forward to replacing my Bilsteins this year with Kings. Maybe a bit later, I'll be able to spring forward to an air-ride...I still have dreams but I'm more thankful that I get to live the dreams that I can now.

Jonathan

Last edited:

trailsurfer

Explorer
I have been all over Baja with a buddy and his air suspension/tires LT and he went everywhere I did in my fully built Sportsmobile. Sand, arroyo's, river beds etc ... . And he gets to sleep in a nice level rig every night. It is really a neat system.

howell_jd

Adventurer
Yeah a nice place at the end of the day really sells the truck for my wife. She is originally from Russia and she knows some pretty rough roads - nothing like even poorly maintained roads in the US. My daughter thought the trail (escape) ride was the best thing in the world!

P9191358.jpg

You can see her sled at the bottom of the hill...great suspension on that one too!

P9191380.jpg

Perhaps the only conclusive proof I have that I drove the truck out. The guy who took this was in a great looking gold Tacoma with his family. They caught me snapping other photos and offered to get one of me and my truck. My girls were cleaning up inside.

Then we got stuck! But you've already heard that story!

Jonathan

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Mr. Howell's experiences bring up a few issues, but primarily he had a flotation/traction problem. As much as I'm a fan of narrower tires, there is always a balance that needs to be struck when choosing a tire for a specific vehicle platform and terrain. On a very heavy truck, off-highway, particularly in sand, there is certainly a strong argument to be made for a taller, wider wheel and tire, a floatation tire.

Two+ decades ago RV Flotation Tires was a common term used for wider/bigger tires for off-road use. Off-Road industry pioneers like Mr. ******** Cepek were leaders in providing wider tires and wheels for early 4x4 enthusiasts exploring the S. California deserts and Baja Mexico. In those days there were very few choices for oversized, aftermarket tires/wheels, where today it seems we can buy just about any tire/wheel combination we want. RV is not a label typically used for off-road tires these days, but you will still hear it used by some tire shops. Surely our vehicles are recreational vehicles, but the term "RV" has come to mean something very different.

My guess is that tire performance (or the lack of) had much to do with Howell's traction difficulties. A taller and wider tire surely would have helped prevent over-torque of the surface causing a loss of traction. In addition to the larger/wider optional tires (335/80R20), the internal beadlocks would allow aggressive pressure lowing if needed. The added clearance/height would also have helped prevent the differential(s) from dragging in the soft, deep sand.

What is the weight distribution front /rear on theses ER LTs? I assume they carry more weight on the rear axle?

Other than added height & clearance, would the Kelderman air suspension have assisted with traction?
One guess is that yes it would/could if either:

A) the suspension is easily adjustable for ride height if extra clearance is needed

B) the suspension is easily adjustable for firmness/spring rate, allowing for a softer, more compliant ride where traction is not compromised by an excessively firm or bouncing chassis, which contributes to loss of traction at the tire. The tires need to stay in contract with the road to do their job, suspension performance being a critical component of traction.

Last edited:

explore this

Observer
I have been all over Baja with a buddy and his air suspension/tires LT and he went everywhere I did in my fully built Sportsmobile. Sand, arroyo's, river beds etc ... . And he gets to sleep in a nice level rig every night. It is really a neat system.

Well... Let's see some pics, routes, the works... Get your buddy to post up.

Let's see this extra $30k++ at work!!

he-hoo

Well... Let's see some pics, routes, the works... Get your buddy to post up.

Let's see this extra $30k++ at work!!

Guys, seriously... have you ever driven an f450 or f550 w/o air ride? Its a landscaping truck suspension... Motor homes w/o air ride are pretty bad on bumpy roads...I wish every truck came standard w/ air ride. The upgrade is worth any price.

GL.

explore this

Observer
Guys, seriously... have you ever driven an f450 or f550 w/o air ride? Its a landscaping truck suspension... Motor homes w/o air ride are pretty bad on bumpy roads...I wish every truck came standard w/ air ride. The upgrade is worth any price.

GL.

*unsubscribe*

DonL

:yikes:Just thought I would put this out there.

Explore this has started three threads since joining in 2007. All three are related to EarthRoamer as follows:

"******** Smith - Earthroamer around the world

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...obal-adventure

http://www.aapimage.com.au/search.as...&viewtype=GRID

Broke down and delayed for several months:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

There's more info on this out there somewhere... anyone... anyone...

Earthroamer

I think this may be my first post. I've lurked for awhile. Interesting forum. A lot of Toyots...

Does anyone on here actually own an Earthroamer? I love the concept, but am trying to justify the cost compared to the cost vs. a new truck + $20k in upgrades and a very high end camper. Were talking 4-5 campers you could rip apart and throw away or 2 new trucks and a couple of new campers to rip apart and throw away. This is compared to a single Ford chassis that has to last twice as long...

I'm not an extreme 4-wheeler, but do go into the sticks where most wouldn't expect me to be. I don't really think most would go that much beyond where I already do in an Earthroamer. From the looks of the photos I've seen and dimensions the footprint is larger than my fullsize Chevy and camper I have now.

Questions I'm pondering.

-Cassette toilet: I get this, then I don't get this. Certainly in the realm of being nowhere beyond the Americas a 20-30 gal black tank with 4-6 times the capacity would work. Don't you have to dump the gray tank anyway?

-Power: I love the solar and no propane concept, but I do a lot of winter stuff and know how batteries drain w/no sun to charge. I would think a tiny diesel generator as opposed to running the big V8 to charge batteries would seem more "environmentally conscious".

-Construction: Am I correct that these are 100% fiberglass/balsa structure? Is there any other underlying structure? How many layers of fiberglass (I don't know what I'm talking about here) are there? Where does this fall between comparing this to a boat or filon on a cheap rv?

-Ford: 6.0 was a disaster. How about the cab-off repair issues? Dodge/Cummins... hmmm... If only we could get a Duramax/Allison combo...

Any thoughts, observations, insight, etc. are greatly appreciated. I'd love to see one in person and might try to hookup w/them in CO. I'm in NCal if anyone actually does own one around here.

ER 9,000 mile '08 demo for sale?

What's the new demo in the works? Odd, selling at the 9k mile mark... Not too sure about the $400 wood ladder. ;-)"

Is there a lot of negativity or is it just me?

explore this

Observer
:yikes:Just thought I would put this out there.

Explore this has started three threads since joining in 2007. All three are related to EarthRoamer as follows:

"******** Smith - Earthroamer around the world

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...obal-adventure

http://www.aapimage.com.au/search.as...&viewtype=GRID

Broke down and delayed for several months:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

There's more info on this out there somewhere... anyone... anyone...

Earthroamer

I think this may be my first post. I've lurked for awhile. Interesting forum. A lot of Toyots...

Does anyone on here actually own an Earthroamer? I love the concept, but am trying to justify the cost compared to the cost vs. a new truck + $20k in upgrades and a very high end camper. Were talking 4-5 campers you could rip apart and throw away or 2 new trucks and a couple of new campers to rip apart and throw away. This is compared to a single Ford chassis that has to last twice as long...

I'm not an extreme 4-wheeler, but do go into the sticks where most wouldn't expect me to be. I don't really think most would go that much beyond where I already do in an Earthroamer. From the looks of the photos I've seen and dimensions the footprint is larger than my fullsize Chevy and camper I have now.

Questions I'm pondering.

-Cassette toilet: I get this, then I don't get this. Certainly in the realm of being nowhere beyond the Americas a 20-30 gal black tank with 4-6 times the capacity would work. Don't you have to dump the gray tank anyway?

-Power: I love the solar and no propane concept, but I do a lot of winter stuff and know how batteries drain w/no sun to charge. I would think a tiny diesel generator as opposed to running the big V8 to charge batteries would seem more "environmentally conscious".

-Construction: Am I correct that these are 100% fiberglass/balsa structure? Is there any other underlying structure? How many layers of fiberglass (I don't know what I'm talking about here) are there? Where does this fall between comparing this to a boat or filon on a cheap rv?

-Ford: 6.0 was a disaster. How about the cab-off repair issues? Dodge/Cummins... hmmm... If only we could get a Duramax/Allison combo...

Any thoughts, observations, insight, etc. are greatly appreciated. I'd love to see one in person and might try to hookup w/them in CO. I'm in NCal if anyone actually does own one around here.

ER 9,000 mile '08 demo for sale?

What's the new demo in the works? Odd, selling at the 9k mile mark... Not too sure about the $400 wood ladder. ;-)"

Is there a lot of negativity or is it just me?

Don, this is a brilliant contribution! Thanks for the repost! Did you have any answers or anything worthwhile to add to my questions? It seems everyone is good at avoiding them and pointing fingers... I'm all ears...

on edit: Those other questions are in other threads. Best keep this one to your knowledge of the F550 suspension/tire upgrades, performance, reliability, and pricing structure...

*double yawn*

Last edited:

DonL

No, just thought everyone should know that you have concentrated on posting negative questions about EarthRoamer ever since you signed up.

Didn`t mean to strike a nerve.:ylsmoke:

DonL

Almost every post that has been made on this forum about EarthRoamer is about the cost. If one cannot afford something then how can they justify the cost.

No one ever questions the cost of GXV, Unicat, etc., in length.

explore this

Observer
No, just thought everyone should know that you have concentrated on posting negative questions about EarthRoamer ever since you signed up.

Didn`t mean to strike a nerve.:ylsmoke:

OIC. Thanks for your interpretation, tireless research, cutting and pasting of my posts, but really... can we go back to the topic, since you're making me a little nervous of the random stalk (it's not about me, but thanks for caring)??

Topic: "Earthroamer: new tire/wheel/suspension"

Ready, set, go!

explore this

Observer
Almost every post that has been made on this forum about EarthRoamer is about the cost. If one cannot afford something then how can they justify the cost.

No one ever questions the cost of GXV, Unicat, etc., in length.

I'll save ya some time. It's back a few posts...:

"I'd truly love to see some knowledge thrown around of what it takes to build an Earthroamer or more specifically the topic of this thread of the suspension upgrade instead of the blanket defense of sponsors or by owners feeling pummeled and justifying the outlay. Maybe not realistically from Bill himself (he doesn't have to reveal his trade secrets/profits). The hours, the components, how the front axles have held up with the handful running with the MPT setup, the pros, the cons. Turn off the secret society and maybe there won't be so many questions. What could you do on the Price / quality trade off spectrum?

Give me some knowledge all knowing ones. I seek to learn... "

Chances are you are an owner or know one? Give your experiences, etc. That's so much more valuable than the blanket vague defense.

Marc1

Observer
Bill ... XXXXX answer the questions and put an end to this.

marc :ylsmoke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz