F150 tire sizes/ gear ratio

rdraider

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

Got a question. Im sure it probably on here somewhere but haven't found it yet, Ive got a stock 08 f150 with 3.55 limited slip. I'm guessing that with the leveling kit i could go 33"s but im thinking i should stay at 31 or 32"s. Its 4x4 reg cab short wide, with 4.6 v8.

My plans are a leveling kit and a slide in pop up, probably homemade. Im going a hard sided route, and ideas, suggestions are welcome. I will work with wood, thats where my skills are. And it won't see a hell of a lot of use, probably 3-4 trips a year at most.

BTW, I love this forum! The vehicles, the trips, the equipment, did i mention the vehicles! Sonke's toyota is awesome. (pardon the missing umlaut)

I haven't been camping since college, and finding this forum has really got the ball rolling.

Thanks,

raider

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
You can go to 33's without leveling it. If you level it you can put 35s. I would recomend a 2" leveling kit, Can't wait to see the build.

rdraider

Adventurer
That's what i'm trying to stay away from, at least for now. There's not much money to put in it each month, and most of that will go into the camper. Now in 3 years after i get it paid off, that's another situation all together. I'm just trying to get this thing together for camping trips next year. Camper, levelling kit, and 265/75's is what i'm looking at right know. I'd rather not impact my mpg's any more than necessary.

In the future, yes, i can switch gears out. What are the feelings towards 3.73s, i had them on my last truck and they were great. Probably not exped tuff though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's what i'm trying to stay away from, at least for now. There's not much money to put in it each month, and most of that will go into the camper. Now in 3 years after i get it paid off, that's another situation all together. I'm just trying to get this thing together for camping trips next year. Camper, levelling kit, and 265/75's is what i'm looking at right know. I'd rather not impact my mpg's any more than necessary.

In the future, yes, i can switch gears out. What are the feelings towards 3.73s, i had them on my last truck and they were great. Probably not exped tuff though.
The problem's the 4.6. Mine had 3.73's and the auto tranny was constantly hunting with 33's and a Callen steel shell. The 5.4 is better suited for a 4wd application. The 265's will help a lot though. If you've got the manual tranny,all the better. I almost bought a manual tranny regcab shortbed 4wd on the lot. The 4.6 would have probably worked out fine for that. Just gotta keep the wind drag and weight down some.

rdraider

Adventurer
Mine has 3.55's right now. I don't plan on going much higher than the cab with the top down. The pos tires that came from the factory are starting to chip out. So i will probably just go with a set of 265's and go slow off road.

Thanks for your answers, and as soon as i get started on the top, i'll post some pics.

raider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles